New RAM diff oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning,

Does anyone know if factory fill for differentials in the 2019 Rams is conventional or synthetic? Looking to keep this truck for a while and want to switch the diffs to synthetic if they come filled with conventional.

If i had to guess i would say its at least a synthetic blend or possibly full synthetic. i highly doubt it is a conventional lube but ive been wrong before.

Are there any hints in the owner's manual... as far as a MOPAR part number to use when replacing it?

What you want to do is regardless what base oil is the differentials fill is to change it to remove the break in wear. That is the secret to long component life,..clean oil.

Originally Posted by CT8
What you want to do is regardless what base oil is the differentials fill is to change it to remove the break in wear. That is the secret to long component life,..clean oil.

17k on this FF ... magnet could not hold anymore

3C2E2DA8-679C-4441-A078-578AAD2910BC.jpeg

Originally Posted by RamAir5
Good morning,

Does anyone know if factory fill for differentials in the 2019 Rams is conventional or synthetic? Looking to keep this truck for a while and want to switch the diffs to synthetic if they come filled with conventional.

I'm not sure how many miles you currently have on your Ram or when the rear diff is officially broken in but if yours is fairly new with low miles I'd wait a while yet before switching over to synthetic or even changing it out if it is conventional unless you plan on doing it again in another year or two?

Many vehicles out there go their entire lives without ever changing the diff fluid out so changing real early shouldn't be a priority unless you know for sure the diff(s) are fully broken in. Just my opinion anyways.

All Chrysler fluids for Diff/Transfer case and transmissions are synthetic now.

One thing to note it says "If Equipped" for limited slip diff. in another part of the manual. So you need to find out if you have this in your vehicle and if so make sure you get a Limited slip fluid or add the additive for this type of diff to a fluid that doesn't already have it in it.

As for when to change it I would wait for at least 10,000 miles before changing it out to allow for break-in wear to occur.

From your owners manual:

axle.png

Last edited:
I appreciate the replies. I'll change it out at 10k. Good advice on getting rid of the break in particles. It does have the limited slip diff so I'll get the additive as well.

The owner's manual says mopar synthetic. Anyone know who makes their oil? Just curious.

Originally Posted by RamAir5
I appreciate the replies. I'll change it out at 10k. Good advice on getting rid of the break in particles. It does have the limited slip diff so I'll get the additive as well.

The owner's manual says mopar synthetic. Anyone know who makes their oil? Just curious.

Shell makes their factory fills but Valvoline makes their coolant so it could be either, not really sure. It's good stuff whatever it is because my neighbours Ram we changed out the factory fill Diff fluid at 100K and it was fine. Lots of filings though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back