New Purchase

So last weekend I bought a really clean 2000 Mustang GT with 2 valve 4.6. 87,000 miles and one owner. Previous owner had only driven it about 5000 miles last 4 years, with last oci about 1000 miles and 13 months ago. He mostly used Valvoline Maxlife 5w-20 on changes.

Should I go to a full synthetic or go with the Motorcraft syn blend 5w-20 I use in my 4.6 3 valve Shelby? Oil is clean, should I wait a couole thousand or change now? Thanks for replies.

Ernie

Attachments

• 66C6A2CE-7741-4385-B429-C3FE52CA263D.jpeg
    66C6A2CE-7741-4385-B429-C3FE52CA263D.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 92405DF2-EAC6-4AEA-AFD0-A6E3A6A57DAA.jpeg
    92405DF2-EAC6-4AEA-AFD0-A6E3A6A57DAA.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 78
Best of luck with it. Are you the 2nd, 3rd (or more) owner?
Has your 4.6l an aluminum block?
Lotsa confusion with the 4.6l. People swear they have COP but I've seen 'em with 2 coil packs (one on each valve cover).
Also, weren't there shallow spark plug thread issues (only 2.5-3 threads for the plug to thread into) which were not uniformly resolved?
Remember to get in close when taking pictures. 'Tis the first rule of photography.
The trees are lovely. 😊

Last edited:
So last weekend I bought a really clean 2000 Mustang GT with 2 valve 4.6. 87,000 miles and one owner. Previous owner had only driven it about 5000 miles last 4 years, with last oci about 1000 miles and 13 months ago. He mostly used Valvoline Maxlife 5w-20 on changes.

Should I go to a full synthetic or go with the Motorcraft syn blend 5w-20 I use in my 4.6 3 valve Shelby? Oil is clean, should I wait a couole thousand or change now? Thanks for replies.

Ernie
The Motorcraft blend will cost you more than a good full synthetic that is on sale!

Best of luck with it. Are you the 2nd, 3rd (or more) owner?
Has your 4.6l an aluminum block?
Lotsa confusion with the 4.6l. People swear they have COP but I've seen 'em with 2 coil packs (one on each valve cover).
Also, weren't there shallow spark plug thread issues (only 2.5-3 threads for the plug to thread into) which were not uniformly resolved?
Remember to get in close when taking pictures. 'Tis the first rule of photography.
The trees are lovely. 😊
And the oil.... ????? Thanks for the photo critique.

The 5w-20/ 5w-30 debate in these engines has waged on for years and years. Id stick with whatever's cheaper for you - Supertech or Maxlife or Motorcraft in 5w-20.

COP started in 1999 with PI engines(at least in mustangs). Spark plug # of threads depends on the block if i recall. Romeo being the deeper threads vs Windsor blocks.

OP: Nice car. Manual transmission?

How are you driving the car? I would run 5w30 in it. These engines were designed for 5w30 originally. If you baby it and put put around 5w20 will work fine. If you ever plan on tracking it or lots of spirited driving run a good 0w40 oil in it. The 4.6 is a good motor. Especially the PI version which is what you have.

Should I go to a full synthetic or go with the Motorcraft syn blend 5w-20 I use in my 4.6 3 valve Shelby? Oil is clean, should I wait a couole thousand or change now?
1) welcome to the site!
2) nice score on the car!
3) it won't matter what oil you choose. The 2v mod motors are very reliable overall, and motor oil selection is a non-issue in these cars. I've seen UOAs from about every imaginable use of typical motor oil (from 0w-20 syn to 15w-40 HDEO, and everything in between) and the wear rates just don't change much. Syn, semi, or dino; it doesn't matter either. Grade and base stock aren't a thing to a 2v mod-motor.

Get a UOA or two when you get a chance. Just keep an eye out for timing chain guide wear; not really a trouble spot as much as a wear item. Often takes a long time to wear them down. My '05 MGM ran great and had 270k miles on it when I last saw it drive away; sold to my son's friend. My '07 MGM ran great also; 140k miles and sold with PLENTY of life left in it. Both those ol' 4.6L 2v's never had one oil related issue, ever.

Since the 2v 4.6 called for 6 quarts I used the Havoline ProDS in the 6qt smart change box. With an inexpensive filter I could out the door for ~$25 an oil change. My 2002 with 100k+ miles didn’t use any oil and I always went with a 5W-30 since that was the original spec before Ford back spec’d to 5W-20 for CAFE.

Mine had electrical gremlins from an after market sound system and alarm. Otherwise it was a rock solid car. A couple clutches, some maintenance, and one rear diff that I left at the drag strip. :LOL:

Follow the breather hose on the valve cover that goes behind the engine under the firewall. The 90 degree elbow likes to melt and that throws codes. You wont be able to see it but you can feel if there is a hole in it.

Follow the breather hose on the valve cover that goes behind the engine under the firewall. The 90 degree elbow likes to melt and that throws codes. You wont be able to see it but you can feel if there is a hole in it.
And watch that plastic coolant housing on the intake.

Back