New PRV design from Purolator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been cutting open a lot of new & used oil filters for my vehicles lately. I just got the 3 offerings from Purolator for my specific applications - PBL22500, PL22500, and L22500. Each of them has the style of PRV shown below. I've not seen this design on any other filter before, and was curious on what you all think about them.

42A4DCF9-AEEE-417C-B80C-C44A7E41A79E.jpeg

4A9AD34A-E7A8-401E-AAF8-6CD7C2E19179.jpeg

Last edited:
I never had an issue with the PRV when I used them back before their shoddy media issues surfaced. .

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, Sayjac. I haven't used Purolator oil filters for a looooong time, and thought I would check them out to compare to the Motorcraft FL-500S.

Good info. Thanks.

Z-

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
When you said PRV i thought you meant the Peugeot-Renault-Volvo V6 at first.
Or Purolator Rubber Valve?

Originally Posted by ZiTS
I've been cutting open a lot of new & used oil filters for my vehicles lately. I just got the 3 offerings from Purolator for my specific applications - PBL22500, PL22500, and L22500. Each of them has the style of PRV shown below. I've not seen this design on any other filter before, and was curious on what you all think about them.

Are you talking about the second picture? or the relief clip (sometimes a spring)?

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, Sayjac. I haven't used Purolator oil filters for a looooong time, and thought I would check them out to compare to the Motorcraft FL-500S......
As you are likely aware FL 500S uses thread end bypass, unique design to MC filters. FoMoCo Motorcraft prefers thread end for their branded filters. Though not often seen here, the not for FoMoCo vehicle MC applications, use dome bypass. Purolator branded use dome end. Some use the flat spring as shown in pics, some use coil spring type that can be seen down centertube.

Yep, I'm aware of all that. That's why I was curious to see what the Purolator filters looked like, knowing that Purolator makes the MC offering.

Right now, I've got a stash of Wix, K&N, FRAM, MC, Purolator, SuperTech, and AC Delco oil filters (12 in all) that I've cut open. It's been a VERY educational experience. It is so obvious that there are only a few oil filter manufacturers, yet the changes they make from filter brand to filter brand, regardless of being for the same vehicle application, is maddening. For example - the SuperTech and AC Delco filter for this application are identical, yet the SuperTech doesn't have a PRV / bypass valve. To me, that's nuts, and seems like it could be very bad for the engine.

I've also gotten very curious about manufacturer claims concerning the filtering media. On several of the filters, the media looks and feels identical from the base oil filter to their mid-tier oil filter. Yet they claim the mid-tier is usually some type of "blend" that doubles the mileage it can be used for. I'm sorry, but when the medias are the same color, look & feel the same, I have a hard time believing there is something more to them. Quacks like a duck, walks like a duck.......

Last edited:
The equivalent application Super Tech filters do a have a bypass valve of a sort, it's called a combo valve. Been discussed the sub forum often. It's nitrile adbv and bypass in one. For example ST3614 the MC 910S equivalent uses a combo valve.

As for media appearance or feel, imo if one doesn't trust a manufacturer description, use recommendation and/or efficiency specs, likely best to use another brand.

That being the case, then the AC Delco has two, and the SuperTech has one. Point being - that is a significant design difference that should not be overlooked.

And your comment about using other filters based off of manufacturers' claims re media is exactly why I'm cutting open all these filters.

Z-

D05D2C20-FD94-453A-8F1C-5DDD990E5483.jpeg

E8E504E2-CC4D-494C-A9A2-F82245C5410C.jpeg

No only one bypass on the ACDelco equivalent. Primarily because of GM as seen it uses a dome poppet type bypass. Otoh, if the ST baseplate is turned over a second set of holes central to the inlet holes will be seen. Those act as bypass holes in a ST combo valve design. Whether one likes that design another matter, but that is how a combo valve designed.

Here's a picture of what Sayjac is referring to for those that may be interested.

So, with that, is one design better than the other? The SuperTech obviously has no moving parts that could be a failure point; but the AC Delco style is much more common and would at least appear to flow more oil, when/if needed.

The PF63E is approximately $4 more than the ST10575.

Z-

E0F4C44B-73A4-435C-BF9E-1E74F9A48C6E.jpeg

Last edited:
That being the case, then the AC Delco has two, and the SuperTech has one. Point being - that is a significant design difference that should not be overlooked.

If you're refering to the AC Delco having two bypass valves, I'd have to say I doubt it. Never seen any filter with two bypass valves. Don't confuse the ADBV with a bypass valve. The "combo valve" design adds confusion.

Originally Posted by blupupher
OK, it took me till the end of this thread to figure out what the heck PRV was (at least I am guessing pressure relief valve)
That's my guess, too. Using the more common term would be a lot clearer, especially considering there's another pressure relief valve in the oiling system.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by blupupher
OK, it took me till the end of this thread to figure out what the heck PRV was (at least I am guessing pressure relief valve)
That's my guess, too. Using the more common term would be a lot clearer, especially considering there's another pressure relief valve in the oiling system.

I was going to say something about your comment, but I though you were kidding, lol.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
When you said PRV i thought you meant the Peugeot-Renault-Volvo V6 at first.
Or Purolator Rubber Valve?

Really, guys? Was it that difficult to understand what PRV was alluding to since this is being posted in the OIL FILTER section, and the very first post mentions looking at an included picture of the valve(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back