New project !

Unless you paid less than a grand for it... I wish you the best. Between the timing rattle, the well known power steering issues, the fragile nature of the 6T70, and the general electrical shortcomings of the platform you'd have been better off taking a pass.

2009 traverse. Right at 100k and has the timing chain rattle. Also misfire and no power ( figuring clogged converter )
So after you pull the engine to replace the chains, guides, tensioners and sprockets, put it all back together into the car and it still misses and has no power after also replacing the cat, what then? If you got it for $500 and it's still reasonably driveable, list it on Facebook for $1500 and take the first $1000 offer. Not enough juice for the squeeze.

Take lots of pics.
So after you pull the engine to replace the chains, guides, tensioners and sprockets, put it all back together into the car and it still misses and has no power after also replacing the cat, what then? If you got it for $500 and it's still reasonably driveable, list it on Facebook for $1500 and take the first $1000 offer. Not enough juice for the squeeze.
Debbie Downer.

Some of us enjoy the projects and repair work.

What's a decent running 100k traverse worth these days? 4k? What area of the US are you in?

If it is a clean southern/western 09 traverse, with 100k and all the stuff fixed up, I couldn't see it going less than 4k in my neck of the woods (Buffalo/WNY area).

There's a big difference between "projects" and "pitfalls". The way I see it, a 15 year old 100k mile Traverse is worth $10k retail. Putting aside cosmetic and drivetrain issues, the timing chain alone is a $2-3k repair. Figure in reconditioning and the like, you soon find yourself teetering on the edge of profit

There's a big difference between "projects" and "pitfalls". The way I see it, a 15 year old 100k mile Traverse is worth $10k retail. Putting aside cosmetic and drivetrain issues, the timing chain alone is a $2-3k repair. Figure in reconditioning and the like, you soon find yourself teetering on the edge of profit
How do you figure it's 2k plus for chains ? I didn't think I had to mention I'm an ex gm tech and current Honda tech. I have access to a lift. Access to parts. Access to scan tools. I will do all repairs myself.

How do you figure it's 2k plus for chains ? I didn't think I had to mention I'm an ex gm tech and current Honda tech. I have access to a lift. Access to parts. Access to scan tools. I will do all repairs myself.
That means if it's worth 10k the way you see it. And I paid 1k. If I put 5k in it then I would still make 4k with your vision. I consider that good for ten hours of my time.

If that's the case, then absolutely go for it! As long as the trans is good...

If that's the case, then absolutely go for it! As long as the trans is good...
And if it isn't good then the profit is down but there is still some at your numbers I believe ! Like I said I like a project! Trans felt good. Steering is good and doesn't even have the rack clunk ! Ac is out hoping just rear evaporator since front is a nightmare. It has Bosch plugs in it and OEM coils. Gonna swap plugs ac Delco. And one coil to start and see what it does. Definitely going to address misfire and converter before checking out the rest. It has a new set of nitto tires. Hoping to get it fixed cheapish and sell for 5k to a family that needs a car and can't afford a new one. Figure they can spend there tax refund and have a pretty reliable driver for at least a while. 5k in a vehicle isn't much right now

I understand that but you have to pick your battles wisely. Spending 50 hours on a car that will make you $500 instead of one that could make you $2000, isn't the best use of your time. And I could understand if it was on something unique or interesting, but a Traverse is neither of those.

I'm in a similar position with a 200k mile 04 Ion. Paid about $500 for it and has a seized alternator and compressor and the subframe is rusted., but at least it runs great. Replacing those takes some work but nothing like pulling the engine to do timing chains. And this Ion is unique enough, 4-door coupe, 5-speed, rare color, that I'll make over $1500 in the end.

I didn't think I had to mention I'm an ex gm tech and current Honda tech. I have access to a lift. Access to parts. Access to scan tools. I will do all repairs myself.
While that is a huge bonus, my other thoughts still apply. If your making $50/hour as Honda tech, understand that your will be making maybe $5/hour working on the Traverse. But as long as it makes your happy, that's all that counts.

Hoping to get it fixed cheapish and sell for 5k to a family that needs a car and can't afford a new one. Figure they can spend there tax refund and have a pretty reliable driver for at least a while.
I would strongly advice any family without much money to avoid those cars. If they can't afford a new one, they can't afford a $5K Traverse either. $5K can be better spent on countless other cars that don't have such a bad reputation.

IMG_20230315_174753709.jpg

Tore the y pipe off today. Found the 3rd converter stopped up from one of the other two breaking apart. It's still partially clogged so they drove it for AWHILE ON THAT MISFIRE. TO BE CONTINUED

Back