New processing method for milk from down under

Seen this on AgDay this morning. A couple of the bigger benefits are easier digestion and 60 day shelf life compared to 14 days. Plus a bunch of other good things.

Last edited:
Nice. About time someone did something to bring the milk back to life. As it is now it's pretty much useless and dead. Void of anything good for humans. Just a white liquid loaded with synthetic vitamins. I grew up on milk straight from cow for 23 years and no one ever worried about pathogens or got sick. Still remember the the taste of it and miss it. Hope the Aussies bring it here and I might start drinking milk again.
We shall see.

PURE BS drink A2-A2 real raw milk with all the benefits, enzymes etc are alive + active!!! only downside is about 10 days before souring BUT sour milk is drinkable + beneficial as well!! go to WestonPrice.com to learn about DEAD aka pasteurized homogenized milk!! like most of todays processed foods that turn good to bad!!! gotta mention those wonderful SEED aka vegetable oils, corn, soy + canola that cause inflammation + contribute to POOR health, BIG Food at its WORSE!!!

Last edited:
PURE BS drink A2-A2 real raw milk with all the benefits, enzymes etc are alive + active!!! only downside is about 10 days before souring BUT sour milk is drinkable + beneficial as well!! go to WestonPrice.com to learn about DEAD aka pasteurized homogenized milk!! like most of todays processed foods that turn good to bad!!! gotta mention those wonderful SEED aka vegetable oils, corn, soy + canola that cause inflammation + contribute to POOR health, BIG Food at its WORSE!!!
Fairly obvious you didn't read the article, please go back and read it again, this is a huge deal in milk processing and DOES NOT use pasteurization. I spent my junior/high school summers working part time on a dairy farm as well as a hog farm. Most dairy farms have milk picked up every day or some times every other day but every other day is risky because milk needs to be processed within hours not days after it leaves the farm, the longer it sits the greater the chance it will go bad. It also can't sit still and has to be agitated until being processed. I'm sure a lot has changed since I worked there fifty years ago but I'm guessing most of this still holds true today.

I can tell drinking chilled milk that is only a few hours old is an acquired taste and really tastes nothing like what you buy in the store, I never cared for it.

I am unsure what process they use in Europe, but when I was in Holland , milk was in a carton on store shelves and not refrigerated. It lasted pretty long before spoiling. I was recently at a dollar tree store that had it the same way just on the shelf. It said to use it within the year. Tasted the same as regular store milk to me.

I am unsure what process they use in Europe, but when I was in Holland , milk was in a carton on store shelves and not refrigerated. It lasted pretty long before spoiling. I was recently at a dollar tree store that had it the same way just on the shelf. It said to use it within the year. Tasted the same as regular store milk to me.

That's ultra-high temperature Pasteurized. I think Parmalat (an Italian company) is probably the biggest seller worldwide, although Horizon Organic sells small packages of shelf stable milk. Their carton milk says it's "ultra-pasteurized" (may be the same as UHT) and when refrigerated has an unopened shelf life of a few months. Dollar Tree in my area might have some shelf stable milk from some company in Utah. It is something that travels fairly well.

2-Reduced-Fat.png

Regular Pasteurization is supposed to be 161ºF for 15 seconds and then rapidly cooled to refrigerator temperatures. UHT is supposed to be at 280ºF for 2 seconds with a rapid chill down.

Some people don't like it and claim that the milk sugars get caramelized. It definitely tastes different though it's hard to describe.

Interesting. I wonder how quickly this new process while become widely available. I always have a few gallons worth of UHT milk in quart containers in storage because of our geographically precarious circumstance. UHT milk lasts at least six months at room temperature. I use some of it, the rest I donate before it goes bad and replace it with fresh product.

Interesting. I wonder how quickly this new process while become widely available. I always have a few gallons worth of UHT milk in quart containers in storage because of our geographically precarious circumstance. UHT milk lasts at least six months at room temperature. I use some of it, the rest I donate before it goes bad and replace it with fresh product.

It should theoretically last longer if it's refrigerated. You'd have to judge for yourself if it's gone bad. It's rarely dangerous after it goes bad.

It should theoretically last longer if it's refrigerated. You'd have to judge for yourself if it's gone bad. It's rarely dangerous after it goes bad.
I know. I just figure at the end of the year I donate food anyway and its time to refresh my emergency supplies. My only use for UHT milk is when I go camping. I don't use it for cooking and I drink very little milk. When I donate it it's usually still good for at least two more months. When UHT milk has gone bad, it's just unpleasant and slightly bitter. It doesn't really rot as long as the carton has remained unopened. Powdered milk is another alternative for emergencies, although I think it tastes worse, and of course, water may be a precious commodity in an emergency.

I know. I just figure at the end of the year I donate food anyway and its time to refresh my emergency supplies. My only use for UHT milk is when I go camping. I don't use it for cooking and I drink very little milk. When I donate it it's usually still good for at least two more months. When UHT milk has gone bad, it's just unpleasant and slightly bitter. It doesn't really rot as long as the carton has remained unopened. Powdered milk is another alternative for emergencies, although I think it tastes worse, and of course, water may be a precious commodity in an emergency.

I've seen it a lot of places. I visited Florida once during the wet season, and a lot of stores seemed to have that Parmalat milk for hurricane preparation in case someone loses power. I bought some for camping, although I did have a cooler with ice. I found some at a Wal-Mart on the way to Mt Rainier once. Still - once they're opened they go bad just like any other milk, especially if not kept cold.

The other thing is that those are Tetra Brik Aseptic from Tetra Pak. I haven't seen any other company that makes them.

I think I saw them back when I was a kid in Hong Kong too, the imported Holland milk with a dairy maid and windmill in the package.

We have some kids package milk that is 8oz with a straw in it, it doesn't need fridge but it kids don't tell the difference much.

Back