New Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
as we type things are happening around the globe that stimulate high gas prices . Such as militants attacking SHELL in NIGERIA , Taliban closing in on PAKISTAN ( imagine them and their allies getting control of PAKISTAN , which would imapct that whole region and its oil ) , collaboration of RUSSIA / VENEZUELEA , CHINAs high car sales ( more roads built , pipeline from RUSSIA to CHINA ) , and other issues such as hurricanes , taxes , etc.. It's just a matter of time when oil / gas soars again . Which is big part of the economic mess we're in . It's a vicious circle . We need to wake up and smell the fumes . And the beat goes on ...

Originally Posted By: smokey1
2010 TOYOTA Prius vs. 2010 HONDA Insigh

I have a really easy answer to the whole Prius vs. Insight debate: Ford Fusion.

Ford has the right idea. Why do hybrids have to be strange looking? There are uglier cars in the world than the Prius, but it's no beauty. Is it so impossible to have both? Ford apparently doesn't think so.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Not really. The Fusion's mileage isn't as good as the EPA claims.

Quote:
Ford has been making a lot of noise about the Fusion Hybrid's superiority in this regard. The company estimates that the EPA will certify the Fusion Hybrid at 41 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway. These figures are 8 mpg better in the city and 2 mpg better on the highway than the Camry Hybrid.

We simply could not achieve those figures in real-world driving, though. We drove the Fusion Hybrid on the same route around Orange County, California, as we did in a recent comparison of the Camry Hybrid and Prius. This suburban loop is 177.9 miles long and we averaged 31 mph in the Fusion Hybrid. Typically, cars we've tested on this loop return fuel-economy figures a little better than their EPA city estimates. The Fusion Hybrid did not.

In fact, we could manage only 35.7 mpg. The car's onboard computer was a little generous, claiming 37 mpg. The Camry Hybrid we tested on the route (on a different day) returned 41.8 mpg and the Prius garnered 51.9 mpg.

Why was the mpg number of the Fusion Hybrid so much lower? We can safely assume that the weather conditions played a role. High winds and nonstop rain (with standing water in places) surely put the Fusion Hybrid at a disadvantage compared to the Toyotas, which were tested on a more typical sunny day in Southern California. How much is that worth? We don't know for sure — maybe 2 or 3 mpg, which would have put us closer to the car's EPA-certified city fuel economy. We'll need to test the Fusion Hybrid against its main competition on the same day and in the same conditions for a final assessment.

More stop-and-go traffic likely would have improved the Fusion Hybrid's figure, given that it can run on pure electric power up to a claimed 47 mph, about twice what other hybrids can manage. But to get that far on the speedometer under electric power takes a stupendously sensitive right foot, a full battery charge and the patience of nearby drivers.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=138726

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Ford has the right idea. Why do hybrids have to be strange looking? There are uglier cars in the world than the Prius, but it's no beauty. Is it so impossible to have both? Ford apparently doesn't think so.

To be fair to Toyota, the Camry hybrid looks "normal." Of course in this case that's the problem- you cannot possibly get more generic than a Camry. Its what the Ford Taurus was to the 1980s and the Plymouth Valiant was to the 1970s. At least the Fusion has some character, and if it drives as well as the gasoline Fusion rentals I've had they'll have a winner on that score too.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I'll take a small MPG hit to avoid a Toyota or Honda any day.

Quote:
Ford has been making a lot of noise about the Fusion Hybrid's superiority in this regard. The company estimates that the EPA will certify the Fusion Hybrid at 41 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway. These figures are 8 mpg better in the city and 2 mpg better on the highway than the Camry Hybrid.

We simply could not achieve those figures in real-world driving, though. We drove the Fusion Hybrid on the same route around Orange County, California, as we did in a recent comparison of the Camry Hybrid and Prius. This suburban loop is 177.9 miles long and we averaged 31 mph in the Fusion Hybrid. Typically, cars we've tested on this loop return fuel-economy figures a little better than their EPA city estimates. The Fusion Hybrid did not.

In fact, we could manage only 35.7 mpg. The car's onboard computer was a little generous, claiming 37 mpg. The Camry Hybrid we tested on the route (on a different day) returned 41.8 mpg and the Prius garnered 51.9 mpg.

Why was the mpg number of the Fusion Hybrid so much lower? We can safely assume that the weather conditions played a role. High winds and nonstop rain (with standing water in places) surely put the Fusion Hybrid at a disadvantage compared to the Toyotas, which were tested on a more typical sunny day in Southern California. How much is that worth? We don't know for sure — maybe 2 or 3 mpg, which would have put us closer to the car's EPA-certified city fuel economy. We'll need to test the Fusion Hybrid against its main competition on the same day and in the same conditions for a final assessment.

More stop-and-go traffic likely would have improved the Fusion Hybrid's figure, given that it can run on pure electric power up to a claimed 47 mph, about twice what other hybrids can manage. But to get that far on the speedometer under electric power takes a stupendously sensitive right foot, a full battery charge and the patience of nearby drivers.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=138726

That's one test. I can't remember off hand but someone else maybe Motortrend? returned 42 mpg in the Fusion.

The Prius gets about 10 MPG better than a straight gas car. At 15,000 miles per year how long does it take to pay for itself? My Focus gets 27-30 town, and 34-37 hyw.

Originally Posted By: tig1
The Prius gets about 10 MPG better than a straight gas car. At 15,000 miles per year how long does it take to pay for itself? My Focus gets 27-30 town, and 34-37 hyw.

Probably closer to 15.

But Prius is also more versatile than a Focus. It is roomier and offers far more utility, so the two aren't exactly comparable if you are comparing the overall package.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Probably closer to 15.

But Prius is also more versatile than a Focus. It is roomier and offers far more utility, so the two aren't exactly comparable if you are comparing the overall package.

The Focus ain't bad as it lines up with the Prius. My friends Prius has much less leg room than my Focus, and far less power. Also his Prius does only get 10 MPG at best better than the Foci. At 75 MPH with the air on it's more like 3-5 MPG better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back