new prius..oil suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,I purchased a 2014 prius a few weeks ago. I don't have my motorcycle or my old E30 BMW anymore. So I was daily driving my modded camaro which is extremely fun to drive but not practical to drive everyday. I was looking for something good on gas that was quiet and comfortable..I test drove a prius for a day or two and fell in love with it. It's a prius three lift back. I have almost 2k miles on it and haven't had it a month yet. So far I've been very impressed with my fuel mileage (58mpg last tank). I have seen low 70s over 8-9 miles driving around town which boggles my mind...anyways I plan on doing 7500 mile drain intervals..it holds 4.5qts and requires 0w20. I was planning on using Pennzoil platinum or ultra platinum..I don't have any experience with the new formula of Pennzoil platinum..I'm assuming it's still an excellent choice? I also plan on doing a drain and fill on the trans every 20k miles or so..ok enough rambling from me thanks for any advice you can give for a first time hybrid owner.

The new PP and PUP are fine, I don't know why people are constantly worrying about if they're any good or not. SOPUS wouldn't put out a bad or untested product under the Pennzoil name. Use them, or any other 0w-20 SOPUS oil, with confidence.

The no-brainer answer is TGMO 0W-20. This is the oil that was specifically designed for the Prius.
No other 0W-20 can match it's performance for the price. And if the price per quart is too high for you, since it is now supplied in bulk to Toyota/Lexus dealers a deal can usually be negotiated with the parts guy to fill a couple of empty 5 quart oil jugs at a discount.

Stay with 0W-20 TGMO, (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil). Highly regarded by quite a few on this forum.
Do a google search on the oil. There should be a good couple hours reading ....

I've used M1 and PP in my Prius so far and am happy with both.
I also have the ToyotaCare program that comes with all new Toyota vehicles which gives me a free oil change every 12 months which is presumably TGMO 0W-20. I would stick with TGMO if my Toyota dealer offered a case discount, otherwise I will stick with M1 and PP.

We need to answer Travis99LS1's question with a sound technical reason why a particular 0w-20 motor oil is better than another.

Since its a Prius, Mazda Genuine Motor Oil MGMO 0w-20 may handle the frequent engine start/stops since it has more moly that has been shown to set up anti-wear surfaces on colder engines sooner.

It appears TGMO gets recommended due to its high VI, yet MGMO is very close to TGMO VI.

Another recommendation could go by specs to back it up. Pick any dexos1 0w-20 and know its undergone more testing than just SN/GF-5 alone.

Originally Posted By: Redpatches
I've used M1 and PP in my Prius so far and am happy with both.
I also have the ToyotaCare program that comes with all new Toyota vehicles which gives me a free oil change every 12 months which is presumably TGMO 0W-20. I would stick with TGMO if my Toyota dealer offered a case discount, otherwise I will stick with M1 and PP.

How can you tell if M1 and PP make you happy? Neither is going to cause engine failure. Of course we're in enthusiasts territory here on this forum, seeking the best. Getting M1 or PP at Walmart in a 5-quart jug for cheap isn't choosing the best, just getting a good deal, nothing wrong with that but not the question here.

I'm happy because (1) I got the oil on deal and (2) they are excellent oils (from the posts I have seen) and should keep my engine in top shape over the life of the car. I would also be happy using TGMO assuming I could get it at a competitive price.

Given the disparity between the three (?) different blends of TGMO, and the fact that TGMO is different in many of the locations that it is sold, I don't see how any of the formulae were "specifically" designed for your vehicle...unless they have different Prius' in each market...I doubt it.

As an aside, one of the formulae of TGMO are available in Oz (I understand because it was specially designed for the Subaru engined BRZ as well), and Toyota still spec 5W30 for the Prius in Oz.

Given that you bought the vehicle for economy, 0W20 should be your go to, in whatever flavour that you decide. Mobil AFE, Platinum for OTC, and depending if you want to chase dealers, Toyota, Mazda

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3437352

Originally Posted By: route66mike

... Pick any dexos1 0w-20 and know its undergone more testing than just SN/GF-5 alone.

Link above quote
Although it meets tougher specs in many areas, dexos1 specific testing actually tests for less criteria than does SN/GF5. But because all dexos1 oils are also SN/GF5, all said criteria are met through mutual inclusion. But not because dexos1 on its own tested better on all points. For example, fuel economy and emissions test show SN/GF5 to be superior; Sludge control is about equal and dexos1 isn't tested for TEOST. Most everything else, dexos1 is on top.

If I recall the Owners Manual correctly the Prius OCI is 12 months/10,000 miles with Severe Service being 6 months/5k.
I baby my car and do the latter. You could run a quality 0W-20 like TGMO,PP,M1 for the full 12M/10K and be fine (and also per the warranty). Only spec is SN/GF5, Dexos not required.

There isn't a severe service interval - there's a 6mo/5k interval for "special operating conditions," which is essentially delivery service or very unusual operating conditions for a Prius.

I have 92k on my 2011 Prius and I run about 10k intervals using Toyota or Mobil 1 0w-20.

Thanks for the replies..I had no idea the Toyota oil was anything special..I'm used to the days when I had my motorcycle where it seemed like any manufacturers oil was so so oil at a premium price.but it seems like this is not the case with the Toyota oil..I'll see what kinda price I can get on it..if it's reasonable I'll stick with the Toyota oil..thanks guys

Originally Posted By: wemay
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3437352

Originally Posted By: route66mike

... Pick any dexos1 0w-20 and know its undergone more testing than just SN/GF-5 alone.

Link above quote
Although it meets tougher specs in many areas, dexos1 specific testing actually tests for less criteria than does SN/GF5. But because all dexos1 oils are also SN/GF5, all said criteria are met through mutual inclusion. But not because dexos1 on its own tested better on all points. For example, fuel economy and emissions test show SN/GF5 to be superior; Sludge control is about equal and dexos1 isn't tested for TEOST. Most everything else, dexos1 is on top.

Not quite right. Lubrizol indicates dexos1 (and dexos2) exceeds SN+GF5 in :

1. sludge (due to the addition of MercedesBenz 111 Black Sludge Test on top of SN's VG),

2. and other ACEA tests are in addition to SN's TEOST, making piston deposits tougher in dexos,

3. and dexos wear tests are also stricter than SN GF5.

So why wouldn't a Prius engine benefit from a higher spec like dexos?

See Spider Chart to Compare Test Strictness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back