NEW PRIME GUARD #POF 4459 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter is from Subierubyroo and looks serviceable to me. These can be had for like $1.99 at Rural King. Makes me feel comfortable about using the Prime Guard #POF 1A he sent me
smile.gif

Enjoy the pics folks
wink.gif

20190623_195408.jpg

20190623_195427.jpg

20190623_195443.jpg

20190623_195611.jpg

20190623_195623.jpg

20190623_195635.jpg

20190623_195641.jpg

20190623_195645.jpg

The operating temperature of an engine oil system is outside that of typical Nitrile rubber. Look it up. I was filter-shopping for my F250 diesel and wondered why Ford was using silicone check valves, and discovered the black NBR stuff isn't really good enough. And most fuel system seals are Viton b/c it's good enough to resist the Ethanol (same thing, regular NBR will harden and crack/leak).

If this is made in China, they are notorious for using fairly low-grade rubbers in their seals in general (not just automotive). Ever walk into a Harbor Freight and smell "that smell"? Or buy cheapo Chinese tires that stink up your garage for a couple months? It's cheap rubber that's out-gassing all kinds of nasty stuff the US-makers aren't permitted for (i.e. emissions regulations). They often pass US requirements since the boat ride from China is so long plus the time the product may sit around waiting to be tested -- the stuff can out-gas below regulatory levels before it's ever tested. The environment suffers.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I'd use for 5k OCIs with Harvest King syn all day... for a $16 OCIs

ðŸ‘

Dude, where's the proof these are inadequate for their task? Not your opinion, back it up with some real, verifiable proof. Sure, we all get that there are target "optimal" uses for every material, but just making a blanket statement that "NBR sucks" isn't proof. We've covered this numerous times... take Baldwin and Donaldson for example, two of the heavy-industry filter giants. They could use ANY material they choose and nobody would complain about an extra $0.25 cost for a silicone ADBV if it gave any benefit... yet they still use Nitrile for a majority of their filters. I'm going to say they've thoroughly torture-tested all options, and determined Nitrile works just fine. Use the filter within the manufacturer's recommendation and there won't be any downsides.

Dude, where's the proof these are inadequate for their task? Not your opinion, back it up with some real, verifiable proof. Sure, we all get that there are target "optimal" uses for every material, but just making a blanket statement that "NBR sucks" isn't proof. We've covered this numerous times... take Baldwin and Donaldson for example, two of the heavy-industry filter giants. They could use ANY material they choose and nobody would complain about an extra $0.25 cost for a silicone ADBV if it gave any benefit... yet they still use Nitrile for a majority of their filters. I'm going to say they've thoroughly torture-tested all options, and determined Nitrile works just fine. Use the filter within the manufacturer's recommendation and there won't be any downsides.

Agreed..in my humble, not very educated opinion on oil filters... stick with OE whenever possible, or go with a reputable aftermarket brand that meets or exceeds OE spec. Unless there's some kind of recall or TSB I'm made aware of, I'm fine using whatever Champ Labs, Wix or M+H puts in there...if something fails catastrophically, they'll be buying me a new engine - simple as that.

Last edited:

Very true. I believe member Bullwinkle told us that some of the tractor trailer manufacturers even use nitrile adbv's also

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DudeNiceRide
The operating temperature of an engine oil system is outside that of typical Nitrile rubber.

Aren't normal operating temps for an engine going to be in the 180~220 range? So if nitrile rubber is good to 226f, it should be good no? I mean how many engines out there operate at or near 226 for extended periods? Dunno..but mine certainly doesn't. It only gets above 200'ish on the hottest days, while in stop-go traffic. Even then it's not like it's running in that temp range for an extended period.

Fwiw, i keep my obd2 plugged in all the time while driving, only taking it out at night to avoid unnecessary battery drain. I watch the numbers in real time via the torque app on my phone, so I'm intimately familiar with how hot my engine gets in the various conditions. My kids laugh but who cares..it allows me to spot (developing) problems. ... Does anyone else do this???

Last edited:
Nitrile must be good enough for OEM companies to allow them in their oil filters. Plenty of Mopar, Toyota, etc filters use them. Will they last 20k miles?
Probably not. Will they last a typical 5K oci? Yes

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Nitrile must be good enough for OEM companies to allow them in their oil filters. Plenty of Mopar, Toyota, etc filters use them. Will they last 20k miles?

+1. Nitrile can be used for at least 5000 miles. Motorking used to say nitrile is good for about 7000 miles before giving up.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

Nitrile has excellent resistance to oils, fuels, hydraulic fluids, water, alcohols and a great balance of
physical properties like tensile strength and abrasion resistance. Keep your vehicles operating temp within range and follow the drain intervals for the prescribed filter and I don't see why a nitrile adbv should be an issue. Unless of course where you live it dips into [low] negatives during winter, which case a silicone adbv is probably a better fit...but for where I live it rarely even gets into the single digits let alone negative temps, so a nitrile adbv is a non-starter.

Last edited:
talk about Nitrile , i seen countless high hp viper coming to the performing shop , running factory mopar oil filter, they are well over 900 whp. almost all mopar guys i talk to, running mopar oil filter. that all they use. I think even the new hellcat .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back