New Pontiac G5...sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
me and wife just bought one today and i was very impressed...electronic power steering is real nice and the door shuts solid...GM has some good cars coming down the pipe, i think the domestics are very underrated...car was assembled in Ohio, engine and trans in USA which is important to me cuz i work at a supplier and want to see more jobs and mfg here...and as a btgoer, i was excited to own my first OLM...i will go with SOPUS and M1 like i did on 05 sunfire...what do you guys like for oil in the ecotec?

You could use good dino oils really on the ecotec. Don't really have to use syn oil on it. If you don't mind forking the extra $$. Why not? Go M1 all the way.

Congrats on the new Pontiac! I think the Pontiac line of cars are pretty sharp!. I was kind of surprised GM killed off the nameplate. Imo every Pontiac in the line up is better looking the the Chevy's....Like you said any Sopus, or Mobil product will serve you fine, like it does your 05 Sunfire...

Sweet little cars,if i was in the market for new i would pull the trigger on a Pontiac in a heart beat(GM lover),whats manual say?? 5w30?

Any SM rated dino will do fine in that engine. If you want to use a Syn go for something like Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower or whatever is the cheapest you can find. These solid GRP-III syn's will do a great job in that engine!
wink.gif

Congrats on the purchase. IMHO, a nicer looking car than the Cobalt coupe. If you want to baby your car, baby it.

I've always considered the G5 to be the Cobalt's better-looking brother. Nicer grille treatment and much better taillights. Good choice.

Grats on the new car. My girlfriend and I were both against the G5 until we saw one at an auto show and sat in one. We were both pleasantly surprised by the interior, trunk space, and overall looks of the car. I wouldn't mind one myself!
thumbsup2.gif

I've used Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and Mobil 1 EP 5w30 in my wife's Cobalt with the 2.2L Ecotec. Both worked out pretty well.

Which Ecotec would you like?
grin2.gif

06 Cobalt- Currently runs on M1, which it was slow to warm up too, but it now loves. I picked up a few cases of PP 5w-30, which the Balt will see next....
thumbsup2.gif

04 Cavalier- Runs on Napa Syn now...which it really likes.
cool.gif
Which is good, considering the stash I have of it now...
LOL.gif

03-Cavalier- Has been running on M1 since 10k (now 52k)...still runs great! No issues at all....since it is her car, it will stay on a steady diet of M1...though I might try the 0w30....

Oh yeah, and also relating to the OP, my dad had an '06 Ion with the 2.2 Ecotec that was fed a steady diet of 5W-30 or 10W-30 Valvoline until he sold it 6 months ago. No problems from the engine at all.

Chet2. Congrats on the new car. I also have a G5 or Pursuit
as it was called in Canada in 2004 when I bought it. It's been
a great little car for my wife and I love that 2.2 Ecotec engine. We just bought a 2009 Saturn Vue last week with the larger 2.4 169 hp Ecotec engine. Most of my oil changes has
been with either Valvoline or the dealer GM oil which is made Petro Canada. Oh one more thing, what is OPUS ?

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
Chet2. Congrats on the new car. I also have a G5 or Pursuit
as it was called in Canada in 2004 when I bought it. It's been
a great little car for my wife and I love that 2.2 Ecotec engine. We just bought a 2009 Saturn Vue last week with the larger 2.4 169 hp Ecotec engine. Most of my oil changes has
been with either Valvoline or the dealer GM oil which is made Petro Canada. Oh one more thing, what is OPUS ?

You forgot the S......SOPUS- Shell family of oils..Shell, Quaker State, and Pennzoil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back