New Polish PL-01 Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still take my Abrams anyday
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Tanks are obsolete.... death traps on the modern battlefield.

Until Russia and Ukraine go on.

Or ya know, Israeli Merkavas defend stuff from middle eastern former soviet T series tanks.

No weapon class or equipment is "obsolete"... We haven't fought a chemical war in how long? yet still have NBC/CBRN training?

If you get rid of something, ie tanks, that's a vulnerability the enemy has on you.

if that was the case...
Tanks are obsolete because theres no longer major tank wars
Fighter Jets are Obsolete because theres no longer dogfights
Battleships and submarines are obsolete because theres no longer naval pacific fighting.

Tell a Desert Storm veteran tanks are obsolete. Tanks won that conflict, both the M1 Abrams and M60 Pattons, as well as allied tanks

Tell a OIF Thunder Run veteran tanks are obsolete.

Thank your for your service GumbyJ.
I spent 26+ years in the Army.
You hang in there young man. Please stay until you retire and gain those benefits. You will not regret it.
The Abrams is the finest tank that has ever been fielded. And it has proven itself.
You keep up the good work of keeping her working and she will take care of you in the long run. Proved it in the battles and war you remark about.
Those people who do not know or love the Abrams would quake in their boots or wimpy shoes the first time they heard an Abrams fire a main gun round.
I spent almost 3 years at Ft Knox from 1989-1991 and I have the utmost respect for a tanker crewman. You guys are wonderful.
Anyhow, you unbelievers and unknowledgable people out there should render a salute to the faithful and loyal soldier. That includes the tanker crew.
Go and visit the Patton Museum at Ft Knox one day.
I am sure Gumby has been there.
Anyway, I am always proud to say that we have the best tank and tanker in the world. I appreciate you Gumby and will continue to support you in many ways.
Thank you for your service. I salute you.

Bob

Tanks are not obsolete.

Had the Army sent the M60 and M48 to the boneyard (Davis–Monthan AFB) for storage, instead of selling them off to foreign countries, or expending them as targets, for use during war time...

I wonder how many servicemembers lives would have been saved had they been inside a 40-50 year old tank instead of a Humvee?

In a battle if you need a tank there's nothing worse that not having that tank. If tanks would have been available sooner and were a bit more developed WWI would have been a far different affair. Trench warfare does not work if you have tanks. The airplane and the machine gun got all the publicity but in WWI it was artillery that did the job. Artillery on tracks is a big asset, one that an enemy can not ignore. Today, using a tank is a very sophisticated proposition but one that a modern army can manage.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Available 2018? Will that be soon enough for the WW3?
Thanks for posting the video, BTW.

You can bet the Poles are working on it with some urgency. With Russia pursuing their territorial ambitions just one country to the east, there are too many people there that remember the Cold War to not take steps to defend their country.

I believe that the German Leopard 2 is considered the world's best main battle tank. The Abrams is #2. The Abrams uses the German gun as do other main battle tanks.

No, tanks are not obsolete.

General Patton said that when people see a tank, they think the job of the tank is to shoot it's cannon. They are wrong. He claimed the job of a tank is to fire it's machine guns. The cannon is for protection against other tanks.

Last edited:
The thing about tanks versus other combat arms jobs is simple

tank crews are usually tighter knitted. Yes, I know, infantry units consider each other brothers, etc. But in a unit the size of an infantry one, there's 50+ in one platoon, broke down into squads, then fire teams.

I've worked with infantry, artillery, etc. Nobody's closer knit than us.

a tank platoon is 4 people in a tank, eat, sleep, etc in a tank, you get very close to them. I know the crew just as well as my own family.

big unit runs? Some unit platoons outsize a tank units whole company of 3-4 platoons

though, I am excited for this. Finally a (with all due respect to airborne) war movie about tanks and not the same ol' airborne movie

I am actually very amazed from the trailer about how much has changed (and how much really hasn't)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SKu5lGfRBxc

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis

4 people in a tank, eat, sleep, etc in a tank, you get very close to them.

You get even closer in soviet/russian tanks, that are uncomfortably cramped, even for 3-person crew. They select small solders for tanks.

Vaporware and Poland has no money to build them in any meaningful numbers.

Manned tanks are obsolete. The next generation of battle field equipment will be unmanned.

Right now the US Navy is on the bleeding edge of technology with its new rail guns that will be put into service. As they are improved expect to see them replace regular guns in many roles.

Besides quality of tanks is important but its not usually the deciding factor in armored combat. The Abrams is good enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back