New Phone shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for something to replace my I-phone 4s. I really like the Samsung Mega. I want something with a 6 inch screen, I plan on using it as a GPS for my motorcycle on occasion. I really like Apple, but they seem to be a ways off of making anything bigger. 1 thing I like about the I-phone is the auxiliary cables that you can run through the charger port as opposed to the headphone output. Way louder and clearer.

The mega looks awesome. I have considered getting rid of my HTC one m7 to buy one. (mostly battery life issues)

The dual core is adequate for most everyday users, the battery is the biggest oem Samsung has ever had, the screen looks amazing. It really has a lot going for it.

If you want good speakers the HTC one m8 is tops

I'm more concerned about running it through my car and bike auxiliary. Running through the headphone jack (on the I-phones and I-pods at least) gives such a puny sound.

Also look at the Galaxy S5as it is purported to be waterproof, essential for the occasional cloudburst, dust, splatter and bugs which keep cycling interesting.

Last edited:
I like my Nexus knock off phone OK. Not waterproof. Really good sound quality. I mean like for speaking to someone using the phone. I'm old fashioned enough to think that that's huge. The Xi charging pad feature is a plus. Fair price relative to the competition. runs gps very well, as you would expect.

For some reason the darn alarm on it doesn't work well. Its a half hour off. How is that even possible?

Rumors are all pointing to the new iPhone coming out in September and having a larger screen. I believe they're saying two new screen sizes will be released, a 4.7" screen and a 5.5" screen. Don't know if that affects your decision, but I'd hate for you to buy a phone now just to have a new iPhone that meets your needs/requirements come out just a month or so later.

Check out:

Apple is widely expected to announce the...shortly after.

If you plan on GPS apps, I would still consider the iPhone. That's an app I use frequently, and it works surprisingly well. I wouldn't want any phone, iPhone or other to be mounted though and subject to vibration and weather. My iPhone stays in my pocket, and I interface with Siri through the Sena Bluetooth in my helmet. Touch the button, give Siri an address, and the map function activates and begins directions. Music fades in and out when a new set of directions comes through. Apple has done a very good job with their products: rugged and they just work.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 two months ago. This is the first smart phone that I really like. All of the other smart phones I have had started to have problems a few months in and I didn't like them by this point.

I really recommend Samsung phones!

I have had:
- LG Spectrum (the WORST phone ever)
- Droid 2 (not bad until the digitizer failed)
- Droid 1 (not bad until the physical keyboard failed)
- Blackberry Tour

It's not quite 6-inches, but the LG G2 has fantastic sound through its headphone jack. From what I've read, it can support up to 24bit/192kHz. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 also does this.

If you like the iPhone, I'd recommend sticking with it. The iPhone 6 platform will come out this fall. Rumored to be 4.7" and 5.5" screens as noted above. Will this come to fruition (no pun intended)? We'll see. I have a 4s and am waiting to see what the 6 lineup looks like to decide if I'm ready to upgrade yet. Maybe I'll wait until the 7.
smile.gif

The 4s I have is the best-feeling and best-operating smart phone I've ever had. I've had a few 'Berrys and 'Droids. My folks have Galaxy S3s that they're happy with (but I've found out that dad has to reset them every 6 months or so). Our iPhones just work.

I'm still rocking my 2 year old Galaxy S3, it's been a great phone. I am eyeing up an S5 or LG G3, but this one still does everything I need so I am not sure I can justify it.

Anyway, the LG G3 has a 5.5" 4K display - beautiful!

I'm personally done with iPhone, myself.

Getting features 2-3 years after they're released on the android platform is beyond old. This screen size increase is too little too late for me.

I bought a LG G2 last December. I have been very happy with the phone until recently. I have had more dropped calls lately and the screen is flickering. Which is a known issue apparently once I googled it. The screen will at times dim once turned on its side. Sprint is sending a refurbished phone.....I wanted a new one but its not an option. I contacted LG since this phone is still under the year warranty. They also said they would send a refurbished phone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'm still rocking my 2 year old Galaxy S3, it's been a great phone. I am eyeing up an S5 or LG G3, but this one still does everything I need so I am not sure I can justify it.

I upgraded from the S3 to the LG G2 and honestly it wasn't that much of an upgrade at all. I kind of wish I would have just kept my S3 and saved my money instead. I am not sure if the G3 is that much better than the G2, aside from the display, however.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: dishdude

I upgraded from the S3 to the LG G2 and honestly it wasn't that much of an upgrade at all. I kind of wish I would have just kept my S3 and saved my money instead. I am not sure if the G3 is that much better than the G2, aside from the display, however.

Yeah that's kind of where I am at. It seems like smartphones have matured much like computers did a few years ago, and aren't getting outdated every 6 months anymore.

this may be slightly off-topic but I was pretty much shocked that KindleFire does not have a built-in alarm clock applet on it. I loaded few from the Amazon pp store, but each app had its own idiosyncrasies. That is when you realize that Apple just does simple stuff well without forcing you to jump through multiple hoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back