New Pennzoil Promotion Ignores ULTRA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an email notice of a new Pennzoil promotion. Both PYB and HM are pictured, along with Platinum and a bunch of promotional verbage on Platinum.

Ultra is nowhere to be seen or heard of.
frown.gif

Pennzoil Promotion / AAP

It really makes me wonder if SOPUS's contention Ultra isn't going away is actually true.

Or, it could be that since it is an Advance Auto promotion and Advance does not carry Ultra....there was no reason to include it in the ad. Also when you click on "learn more" there is Ultra .

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I just got an email notice of a new Pennzoil promotion. Both PYB and HM are pictured, along with Platinum and a bunch of promotional verbage on Platinum.

Consider yourself lucky. Up here, our Pennzoil promotions involve either $5 off at Jiffy Lube (yeah, I'll be right there) or a few bucks off Pennzoil Ultra when bought in the six packs of one litre bottles. There are two things wrong with that, of course, the first being that Ultra is next to impossible to find, and a six pack even worse.

On the other hand, I do give Anco wipers (Federal-Mogul, I believe). Their rebates are often valid on both sides of the border.

As far as Ultra goes, I wouldn't be ready to throw the towel in yet. Obviously, they need something to compete with GC and M1 0w-40, and the only product they have that does so happens to be available as Ultra.

They need to rebrand Ultra as Shell Helix Ultra, as many of us have said here in the past. It might please the oil snobs and the motorsports snobs.

Originally Posted By: Garak
They need to rebrand Ultra as Shell Helix Ultra, as many of us have said here in the past. It might please the oil snobs and the motorsports snobs.

Well now, I certainly resemble that remark...at least you didn't call us "slobs."
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Or, it could be that since it is an Advance Auto promotion and Advance does not carry Ultra....there was no reason to include it in the ad.

Great point I had not even thought of.
blush.gif

BITOGs new sport; predicting when Ultra bites the dust!
Come on guys, poor Ultra no one believes in him. Well, just for the record, I sleep better at night just having the possibility to obtain some Ultra. Please don't wrecklessly threaten that possibility with doubts!!
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: pscholte
Well now, I certainly resemble that remark...at least you didn't call us "slobs."
wink.gif

Sometimes I'm a bit of an oil snob, and I'm always a motorsports snob, so I wouldn't want to call myself a slob, even though I am.
wink.gif

Shell does not need to be selling five tiers of Pennzoil. It's as simple as that.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Or, it could be that since it is an Advance Auto promotion and Advance does not carry Ultra....there was no reason to include it in the ad.

Great point I had not even thought of.
blush.gif

+2

Well, Dave, we know some Pennzoil people read the site, so maybe, just maybe, if we all wish hard enough, we might get lucky on this one! There are already too many Pennzoils, just about the right number of Quaker States, but definitely not enough Shells in North America.

I went by walmart today and picked up 2 5qt jugs of 5w30 ultra. There were ultra jugs in other viscosities as well.
21.gif

i think the ultra is great stuff i have used it before problem is its expensive and people dont want to spend a lot on oil...that is one reason the mobil 5000 is selling so well... That and its good oil.
I remember when motorcraft was flying off the shelves until the price went up now it does not do so well

there are many great oils out there and they all meet the same specs. Look For api sn and shop the best price these days its mobil hands down in my book... super tech is fantastic oil also at a great price!

Plenty of Ultra in all grades at my Walmart. I'm not paying the $27 or whatever they get when M1 is priced at $22.50. SuperTech would be fine for most of what I service.

I bought 25 qts of Penn-ultra today at Walmart. It cost $27/jug of 5 qts, but Pennzoil has a promotion going on that is worth up to $10 a jug realized when fuel is bought at a Shell station.

The discount is a bit of a pain to obtain, but if you do not mind jumping through the hoop the end price is as low as $3.8 a quart.*

*The fuel purchase rebate maxes at 20+ gallons of fuel. I plan to fill two cars
wink.gif

Last edited:

Shell does seem to be on a kick to commonize some of its lubricants. I'd like to see them re-introduce the Shell brand to America as their premium brand. Pennzoil is a staple American brand, so I recognize their desire to keep it. How to merge the Pennzoil name with the world-wide Shell brand is beyond my marketing skill set.

But I do believe it'd serve them better and they'd have more brand identity, rather than having different oils across two or three brands, some of which "may" be the same as others depending on whom you ask, etc.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Shell does seem to be on a kick to commonize some of its lubricants. I'd like to see them re-introduce the Shell brand to America as their premium brand.

I agree; besides Helix sounds sexier than Ultra anyway
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back