New pair of Lake road bike cycling shoes, extra wide

Subject line says it all. I am 100% happy with them. It's always nice when that happens! Lake CX 332. $450. Kangaroo skin leather with carbon fiber soles and BOA lacing. Size 50, extra wide. Yep, I have big feet. I run Speedplay Zero pedals and cleats.

FWIW,

Scott

IMG_5379.jpeg
IMG_5377.jpeg
IMG_5380.jpeg

Nice. I never had shoes with that lacing system and never tried Speedplays. Large solid interface area. Are those tension adjust screws on the sides? Carbon is a thing of beauty. I ran Time mtb pedals on my last road bike because I was running them on the mtb and the small cleats were easy to walk on and had good float. I thought my 48s were big, didn't even know you could get 50s.

They look amazing. Can't wait to hear how they break in after 500 or so miles. Size 50? ****! I feel that pain and I'm only 48/48.5. Hard to find big feet sizes in what you want.

I came to the road bike late. All MTB for me for years. I ran clipless for years when I was younger but went flats with downhill MTB and run flats on all my bikes, road included. Big fan of RaceFace Atlas. I also have a left knee that is in need of a replacement. Flats give me a little more freedom that helps.

Enjoy em in good health brotha!

Are those tension adjust screws on the sides?

No, this is how you adjust toe in/toe out and how much float you have - all with a small screwdriver. Wahoo sports bought Speedplay a couple of years ago. The pedals look the same but they've changed the cleat to make them more walkable. Friend of mine has the new style cleats and they seem work the same. Mine are the original Speedplay versions.

Scott

Last edited:
Nice shoes. I have EEEE width feet and back in the mid 80s I bought a pair of Lake shoes, back when the company was new. The shop where I worked back then was one of Lake's first distributors. They were the only cycling shoes that ever fit right.

Those are really nice. Good on Lake for taking care of us big guys. I have the winter boot by them. Love it.
I’m also a 50 but I guess I’m lucky in the sense that I’m a medium width. I recently scored a pair of boa laced carbon shoes on eBay for 24 bucks. Can’t remember the brand. I keep wanting to try the Lakes. After I wear out my bargain basement shoes.

Those are really nice. Good on Lake for taking care of us big guys. I have the winter boot by them. Love it.
I’m also a 50 but I guess I’m lucky in the sense that I’m a medium width. I recently scored a pair of boa laced carbon shoes on eBay for 24 bucks. Can’t remember the brand. I keep wanting to try the Lakes. After I wear out my bargain basement shoes.
Yeah, I am super pleased with them. I have ridden Sidis for 20 years but decided to try the Lakes. The Sidi Megas were barely wide enough anyway, and now Sidi no long offers their Mega on their high end shoes. In a way it became a moot point. I think the Lakes are a superior product. I doubt I'll ever buy another pair of Sidis.

Scott

Yeah, I am super pleased with them. I have ridden Sidis for 20 years but decided to try the Lakes. The Sidi Megas were barely wide enough anyway, and now Sidi no long offers their Mega on their high end shoes. In a way it became a moot point. I think the Lakes are a superior product. I doubt I'll ever buy another pair of Sidis.

Scott
I have a lake dealer near me was always thinking new pair in the spring I might just get serious about it.

I have these same shoes, but in the cool metamorphic blue/purple color. I really like them now that they're broken in. Unlike Shimano, they are really stiff out of the box.

Shimano changed their last on their "wide" shoes, and they are no longer even close to being wide. One note: I tried the "regular wide" Lake 403's, and they were not wide at all.. The "extra wide" 332's are legit wide.

I had a pair of Carnac kangaroo leather shoes a million years ago, and they held up really well. Looking forward to getting more miles in these, and would second the recommendation for anyone with wide feet.

Due to this thread I finally got myself a pair of new Lake shoes. Model MX238, since I use Shimano SPDs on all my bikes, road & trail. Lake has you trace outlines of your feet then measure them for sizing. I was 276mm by 110mm which is 44 wide. These fit better than the cheap Shimano shoes I've been using for the past 20 years, which are 1 size too big in order for the width to fit. The Lakes are also lighter & stiffer. The Lake heels are a touch loose, as I have "duck feet" - wide ball/toe box, narrow heel. The Lakes have adjustable heels; you heat them in an oven then mold the heels to your feet as they cool into a new position. After I do that, I'm sure they'll fit even better. Just gotta find a time when wifey is out so she doesn't see me putting shoes in "her" oven. 😜

The heat molding worked OK. The heels are still a bit loose but more snug and better than they were. The fit is not perfect but it's much better than any cycling shoe I've had since my first pair of Lakes in the 1980s, as good as I can get factory made as opposed to custom molds of my feet. For those of us with EEEE wide feet, Lake is the best cycling shoe I've seen.

Rode the MTB in the snow today, fun!

Didn’t go with the Lake’s but absolutely loved the feel of the Torch 3.0 size 47 I put on.
Will be the end of the week to put some serious miles on them hopefully the weather is going to allow it.
57521CEE-190B-4BDE-A5C7-0500EFAF9C2F.jpeg

I love my wide Lake shoes! I picked mine up on sale and replaced a pretty new set of Garneau shoes. Never looked back.

Back