New pads old rotors, now squealing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everybody,

I had my EBC red stuff pads replaced this weekend with Raybestos professional grade ceramic pads. My mechanic installed the new pads along with the hardware kit, he also wiped down the rotors. The rotors only have 9k miles on them so I didn't bother replacing them.

The Raybestos pads work well but they squeak, I bedded them in last night which helped a lot but I'm still getting some noise. Me mechanic told me they could be noisy for around 250 miles. Has anyone experienced this kind of issue before?

-Thanks

Yes, most of the time, although it is not the same brand of pad but I suspect most of them are made by the same company.

Last edited:
take them off and sand the rotors down good with sandpaper. you need to remove some of the old pad material and scuff the surfaces some. I've had this happen myself a couple of times.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Yes, most of the time, although it is not the same brand of pad but I suspect most of them are made by the same company.
EBC is made in the UK. I've found them to make a real difference in stock configurations.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
EBC is made in the UK. I've found them to make a real difference in stock configurations.

The EBC pads were without doubt more aggressive, stopping power was amazing. But the downside was short pad life, they only lasted me 9k miles. The wear indicator was hitting my rotors on both sides. I switched to Raybestos pads because I want a pad with more life.

Sand the Rotors well with course sand paper and you need to have the Permatex blue anti-squeal applied to the back of the pads.

I even put the anti squeal under the shims, let it dry, then click on the shim, then put some on the back of the shim if it doesn't have a factory rubber pad.

I never do a brake job without this stuff. It dries like a blue rubber silicone. It really deadens the pads vibrations well.

9k miles on a set of pads? What kind of driving do you do?

I've had some EBC yellowstuffs on the Gen Coupe for 44k miles. Though they are about at the end of their life. Three track days too.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
9k miles on a set of pads? What kind of driving do you do?

I've had some EBC yellowstuffs on the Gen Coupe for 44k miles. Though they are about at the end of their life. Three track days too.

I do a lot of stop and go driving recently, I also used them quiet aggressively while going down Mt Washington. I replaced the stock pads and rotors at 25K miles, they still had some life left but I wanted more pad bite.

I honestly think the braking system on my Sonata is a little weak, single piston calipers all around. My rear OEM pads are only 50% worn though. I don't think I'm that hard on my brakes but I could be wrong.

Winter takes a toll on the braking system on these vehicles. The brakes last forever in fair weather climates.
Some aftermarket brakes are just going to be noisy. The only sure thing is an OEM pad set. It's worth the $75.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

The EBC pads were without doubt more aggressive, stopping power was amazing. But the downside was short pad life, they only lasted me 9k miles. The wear indicator was hitting my rotors on both sides. I switched to Raybestos pads because I want a pad with more life.
EBC Red is pretty soft. Ultimax are harder but still have good bite. The Ultimax are giving me about 40K on an I4 Camry with Lexus front brakes which are a a "bit" bigger than stock.

Last edited:
The old rotors developed a wear pattern based on the previous pads. Despite them being only 9K miles old, the wear pattern is there and won't match that of the new pads. This will prematurely wear out your new pads. The squeaking may diminish as the new pads settle in but probably won't go away completely. Rotors are so cheap these days that I always replace them with each brake job. And if your pads are wearing out it in only 9K miles, I'd be checking for seized calipers or slide pins because that's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
The old rotors developed a wear pattern based on the previous pads. Despite them being only 9K miles old, the wear pattern is there and won't match that of the new pads. This will prematurely wear out your new pads. The squeaking may diminish as the new pads settle in but probably won't go away completely. Rotors are so cheap these days that I always replace them with each brake job. And if your pads are wearing out it in only 9K miles, I'd be checking for seized calipers or slide pins because that's ridiculous.
Rotors are also not as thick as they used to be, another reason to replace them.

I would suggest AutoZones top of the line braking products. Lifetime guarantee.

First should be the quality of the pads, not the guarantee.

Lifetime replacement means they replace them at no cost until you get tired of replacing the [censored] stuff and buy some Akebono pads.

Couple issues already mentioned above.

Rotors should be lightly sanded to remove old pad material and scuff them slightly.

Use anti-squeal on pad backings.

Check to make sure the pads are releasing. some aftermarket pads fit really right and need ground down or they will stay up against the rotor.

The OP said the mechanic wiped down the old rotors. What does that mean? Cleaned off his greasy fingerprints with a brake cleaner and a rag?

Originally Posted By: cat843
I would suggest AutoZones top of the line braking products. Lifetime guarantee.

First should be the quality of the pads, not the guarantee.

Lifetime replacement means they replace them at no cost until you get tired of replacing the [censored] stuff and buy some Akebono pads.
I did say top of the line. They do have good products if you don't buy the cheap stuff.

same pad material/brand/type, then you might be able to re-use the rotors w/o doing much work (provided that the thickness within spec, rotor runout ok, surface texture ok, etc.)

same rotor (reuse withtout deglazing, no checks, etc.) different brake pads (brand/material/make) = all sorts of issues.

you are asking for serious NVH problems, and also issues such as embedding problems, abnormal heating/glazing, etc. further down the road.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Sand the Rotors well with course sand paper and you need to have the Permatex blue anti-squeal applied to the back of the pads.

I even put the anti squeal under the shims, let it dry, then click on the shim, then put some on the back of the shim if it doesn't have a factory rubber pad.

I never do a brake job without this stuff. It dries like a blue rubber silicone. It really deadens the pads vibrations well.

I'll give that a try over the weekend, by the way they are Raybestos advanced technology rotors. I paid around $53 a piece for them. A new set won't be cheap which is why I hope to salvage them. They've been really good even under high stress situations. My OEM rotors on the other side were shot after 12k miles, but that could have been due to a tire shop over torquing my wheels.

I've been careful to never come to a complete stop while braking from high speeds, there is zero noticeable vibration while braking from any speed.

Also when I was bedding them in last night I noticed the squealing went away completely once I got the everything warm.
Basically at this point I have no squealing when cold, squealing when slightly warm, and no squealing when really warm/hot.

-Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back