New owners same name different cuisine?

Donkey Donuts next to the Chevron just north of the intersection of 1 and 92 in Half Moon Bay closed over a year ago. Despite the good location nobody has taken over.

Wasn't that the first one in their move back to Northern California? Seemed like a weird initial location. I'm sure the commissary they use was nowhere near there.

I remember hearing those Matthew's ads when I was stationed at Moffett Field back in the 70/80's, used to listen to "The Quiet Storm 102.9 FM" :cool:

Their TV ads were kind of annoying and the owner operated a computer store that had some controversy over getting computers from Apple at an educational discount and then selling them at full retail. Then getting some credit from Apple for the educational use.

The commercials typically mentioned the bikes that were included (aka "GET A BIKE!!!") but apparently the prices of their electronics were jacked up to pay for the bike. The brand was specifically only sold wholesale as a giveaway to go with something else - the Firenze brand made in Taiwan. I distinctly remember yellow page ads for bike shops that specifically noted that they refused to work on them by name. I did hang around a certain local bike shop where the owner said he wouldn't refuse to work on one (a customer is a customer) but hoped that customers would learn more about bikes and realized they should get something better in the future.

No idea
Wasn't that the first one in their move back to Northern California? Seemed like a weird initial location. I'm sure the commissary they use was nowhere near there.
No idea but that location was open only for maybe years or so.

No idea

No idea but that location was open only for maybe years or so.

Looked it up, and my memory wasn't quite correct. The Bay Area reentry started in Walnut Creek. I've actually been to that location. And it's all one company with these franchised locations.

A Dunkin Donuts opened in Walnut Creek in June with equal excitement and the line to get donuts was over an hour long on its first day. At one time, California was home to 15 Dunkin' Donuts franchises but those have since shuttered, and the new Walnut Creek shop was the first to open in the Bay Area in more than 15 years.​
California Donut Kings, LLC, is the franchising company behind the Half Moon Bay restaurant, according to a press statement. The company plans to open 26 more locations in Alameda and San Mateo Counties over the next several years.​

I only went there if I needed some carbs and a coffee and if I wasn't willing to wait in line at Peet's. No lines ever at Donkey Donuts. Ever since they shut down I started backing bananas.

Just ate at The Original Mexican Cafe last week. Same location since 1916. Really good food. Will definitely go again when I feel like a road trip or have to take my car to the dealer. www.theoriginalgalveston.com Hopefully they never pull the switcheroo in the OP.

So a place not to far from me specialized in a more regional New Mexico and Santa Fe style cooking. The green chili was Hatch and green New Mexico chilies, unique and tasty. The owner grew up in New Mexico and had an amazing place. Same name but when I walked in for breakfast I noticed a Mexican restaurant vibe. Menudo, tacos al pastor etc. A family purchased the restaurant a few months back but left the name but it's Mexican now. It wasn't bad but really disappointing as I was expecting the usual. Anyone else had this happen? Usually a take over gets a new name etc.

Happens all the time with breweries. Tired of it frankly.....

They get some good brews, and the brewer leaves for $1, $2, $5 bucks more and receipe goes out the window.

Completely normal. The store will keep the name and it's recognition for a period of time after the transfer, or sometimes, forever. I just had this happen at a Mexican themed place. You could tell the difference in food taste. The removal of gaming and liquor (probably in application process for both) kind of gave it away too.

Back