New optic: Leupold VX3i LRP 4.5-14x50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Nice! I'm just curious, did you lap the scope rings?

I'm not wickedly anal about that. I checked them, they had already been cleaned up when I had them on my previous .308 (minor lap) and they were fine, so I didn't redo any sort of lapping on them.

Most of my guns have used one-piece scope mounts, at which juncture lapping is more of a waste of time given the fixed nature of the mount itself. Both my Leupold Mark IV IMS and my CADEX one piece were perfectly true OOTB.

Based on that, if you are wondering why this one has conventional rings, the IMS set the scope a bit high for my liking given the limited range that this rifle will be used for, ergo, a set of rings, keeping the scope closer to the barrel, were used.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Nice! I'm just curious, did you lap the scope rings?

The smart way is to use Burris Signature Rings you don't make up your expensive scopes with ring marks.

These are Burris Signature rings.

Overkill is going to get really spoiled really fast with that Glass / Rifle combination.

11.gif

Leupold has revamped pretty much their entire line of scopes. I recently acquired one of their competition fixed power scopes and the clarity and optic quality is definitely up a notch. With so much competition from other scope manufacturers who are definitely catering to the increasing numbers of long range shooters, both in competition and hunting, it is great to see Leupold not sitting back and resting on their past reputation for quality service and quality optics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xtell
Leupold has revamped pretty much their entire line of scopes. I recently acquired one of their competition fixed power scopes and the clarity and optic quality is definitely up a notch. With so much competition from other scope manufacturers who are definitely catering to the increasing numbers of long range shooters, both in competition and hunting, it is great to see Leupold not sitting back and resting on their past reputation for quality service and quality optics.

Agreed
thumbsup2.gif

The LRP product really caught my eye, as the VX series has generally been hunting-oriented and subsequently a bit less expensive than their Mark series scopes, some of which command ridiculous prices like the Mark 8.

When I was looking at the LRP at the store, there was a Mark IV next to it, $1,100 more, with roughly the same range of magnification. I could not tell the difference between the two glass-wise. I was blown away that this new offering, as the LRP hasn't been out that long, is so close to the Mark-series scope at such a significant savings.

I have a Vortex Razor HD Gen II on my .338LM, which is a lot more money (I paid $3,700CDN + taxes for it IIRC) and to see how close this scope comes to it, at less than 1/3rd the price, really demonstrates how Leupold is upping their game to remain competitive, as you've noted.

I see that Burris has finally gotten rid of those cheap slotted screws for attaching the rings to the bases. When I mounted mine on my Savage Model 12-FT/R, I had to find Socket Head Cap Screws to replace them. I finally found some at Grainger, but I had to buy a whole box of them. It was worth it. You can get much more torque on them. Not to mention they look so much better. There should be a law against using slotted screws on scope mounts.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I see that Burris has finally gotten rid of those cheap slotted screws for attaching the rings to the bases. When I mounted mine on my Savage Model 12-FT/R, I had to find Socket Head Cap Screws to replace them. I finally found some at Grainger, but I had to buy a whole box of them. It was worth it. You can get much more torque on them. Not to mention they look so much better. There should be a law against using slotted screws on scope mounts.

thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, they are now Torx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back