New old stock Pennzoil 10w40 with Z-7

Someone on my local buy/sell/trade group has 12 unopened quarts of Pennzoil 10w40 with Z-7. It is API SH. Does anyone here know if that vintage of Pennzoil was paraffin based or not? I'd like to know before I buy. Thanks.

API SH has been obsolete since 1996, the juice may not be worth the squeeze either way
I know it's obsolete, I just wanted to have it on hand for the mowers and for top offs. I was just curious if this Pennzoil was paraffin based or not.

What do you mean by "paraffin based," almost all motor oil is "paraffin based" , the more refined a mineral oil is the more paraffinic compounds it contains, PAO is almost entirely parrafinic.

What do you mean by "paraffin based," almost all motor oil is "paraffin based" , the more refined a mineral oil is the more paraffinic compounds it contains, PAO is almost entirely parrafinic.
Sorry. What I meant is, is this the Pennzoil that was known to cause waxy buildup in engines back in the day?

Nothing special about that oil, but it wouldn't hurt anything to use it unless it is going into something brand new. I have plenty of oil on my shelf that is at least 20 years old and use it in all of my cars including the 2010, all is well.

Thought that wax buildup issue was way back, like straight grade Grp. I Quaker State? I'm sure the SH Pennzoil would be fine, for the right price. Should be good flat tappet oil, maybe not so good in an oil burner w/catalytic converter.

If the raw petroleum extracted from the bowels of the earth is a billion years old, what difference does a paltry 10-15 years make?

1638229238798.jpeg

I used the 10W-40 in a 69 Lemans I had as a teenager circa 1975 -80.
I think the Z was from PennZoil and the 7 was marketing 7 supposed advantages like the detergent, breakdown resistance etc.

Last edited:
Someone on my local buy/sell/trade group has 12 unopened quarts of Pennzoil 10w40 with Z-7. It is API SH. Does anyone here know if that vintage of Pennzoil was paraffin based or not? I'd like to know before I buy. Thanks.
This is the oil I used in my new 77 power wagon through the 80's in everything else. Parafffinic does not refer to a wax base. They were superior to the napthenic oils of the time. I never had problems.

Unless you want to buy it for nostalgia I would pass. None of my motors (including lawn equipment) is worth old oil and outdated specifications. The few dollars saved isn't worth it....

Back