new oils at Wal-Mart, East Meadow, NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Shell Rotella 5W-40 synthetic, $12.84/gallon!

I'd like to see someone do a UOA on this stuff!

I saw Shell Rotella 0w40 advertised up here at Canadian Tire, but couldn't find it in their stores. (you'd think if they put it in their flyer they'd make sure every store sold it!)

Patman, I've seen it...it's in the Diesel Oil section next to the Shell 15-40 and the other Motomaster Diesel oils. Sounds like Shell's version of Delvac 1. Can't remember which C. Tire though...Mavis and Brit??

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Patman, I've seen it...it's in the Diesel Oil section next to the Shell 15-40 and the other Motomaster Diesel oils. Sounds like Shell's version of Delvac 1. Can't remember which C. Tire though...Mavis and Brit??

I checked that one and the Meadowvale one and didn't find it, I looked where the diesel oils were also. I also looked in the one in Heart Lake too.

I think there are 2 or 3 UOA's of the Rotella T 5w40 "syn" around here. Remember though that it is a group III synthetic oil - and I'm not saying thats a bad thing.

As it stands at 12.88 a gallon is a respectable price for the product. I'm thinking about trying it in my Jeep next...

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

I checked that one and the Meadowvale one and didn't find it, I looked where the diesel oils were also. I also looked in the one in Heart Lake too.

..funny.. I just spotted it for the first time last night at CT diesel section...what do we know about this suff..???

[ July 18, 2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: 2K2AcuraTL ]

Yeah, I'm intrigued by this oil, it's a good price for a gallon of synthetic (albeit Grp III) oil.

But some say it's made from a good base oil, better than other Grp IIIs?

I stole this from the Rotella forum, posted by BillXHVI:

quote:

It is true that Rotella T Synthetic is Group III (not PAO) based, but you must keep in mind that not all Group III base oils are created equal. Rotella T Synthetic is made with Shell's XHVI base oil, which unlike other Group IIIs does not begin as distilled crude oil, hence of all Group III base oils, XHVI is truly the only one that can legitimately be called "synthetic." XHVI is a wax isomerate, meaning that it is made from the slack wax removed from distilled crude in normal solvent dewaxing. This slack wax is catalytically transformed (isomerized) and hydrofinished into a chemically pure base oil which rivals PAO in virutally every category. There are other "synthetic" oils out there based on Group III, but Shell's is unique in that it uses XHVI base oil. (And I believe Castrol uses Shell's XHVI too.) Chevron and Petro-Canada produce Group III base oils that come close to XHVI, but even though these oils are all hydroprocessed and utilize the same type of isomerization technology employed in the making of XHVI, they are not the same thing. Only XHVI is made from pure petroleum slack wax and its CAS number is 92026-09-4. The CAS number for the more typical all-hydroprocessed Group III base oils is 64742-54-7. If you want to know what your "synthetic" oil is made from, take a look at the MSDS and look for these numbers. (The CAS number for PAO is 68037-01-4.)

In brief, don't be so quick to dismiss Rotella T Synthetic as just another "synthetic pretender." Its made with the same base oil as Shell's Helix Ultra, and everytime you see Ferrari win a Formula 1 race, that's the oil in the engine.

Any comments on that?

Could this oil be a contender against M1 5W-30 SS in your typical OHC gas engine, due to the heavy-duty diesel additive package, and higher HT/HS?

Jason

quadrun1-
If you are anywhere near that Walmart we are neighbors.

Now I am waiting for BJ's Wholesale club to start selling 0-40 for their typical Mobil 1 price of $23.99 per 6 pack. Currently they only sell 5-30 and 10-30. At least adding 0-30 would be nice.

Hi, neighbor!

I wish Delvac 1 5W-40 were also available on the Island. I should give that Mobil distributor a call, I've been wanting to try D1... Ever seen Delvac 1 anywhere near here?

Jason

Howdy,
I frequent that Wal-mart and am considering using the 5W-40 Synthetic in my Onan diesel generator (stand-by for the house, 1x yearly change).

BTW, I am from Oyster Bay. Wal-mart and Krispy Kreme next to each other... pretty good
smile.gif

I wish the Wal-mart was open 24 hours
burnout.gif

-John

[ August 12, 2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Hubjeep ]

quote:

Originally posted by Hubjeep:
Howdy,
I frequent that Wal-mart and am considering using the 5W-40 Synthetic in my Onan diesel generator (stand-by for the house, 1x yearly change).

BTW, I am from Oyster Bay. Wal-mart and Krispy Kreme next to each other... pretty good
smile.gif

I wish the Wal-mart was open 24 hours
burnout.gif

-John

The Super Centers are open 24 hours a day and I'm sure one will be opening up near you soon if you don't have one already.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back