New Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm looking to replace Mobil 1 in my car for another brand. I'm trying to get rid of some the piston slap. I know it's not the oil, it's a defect, but since GM isn't gonna replace anything on my car, might as well quiet it down a bit. I've been thinking about Havoline Syn or even SuperTech Syn from Walmart. I've seen the specs for M1 and you guys have stated that it's on the thin side of the XW-30 scale (like a 9.8 or so for 5-30 and 10-30). I though about AMSOIL, but at $60 (US) a change, it's seems pricey to me. I also though about Schaeffers, but I really hate to have to order oil everytime. Also, I though about using 1 quart of 15W-40 and the rest 10W-30 M1, but how much would that increase viscosity at high temps?
Any ideas for a decent, inexpensive oil that has a bit more viscosity at higher temps (I prefer synthetic or at least a good blend).

I really apreciate your sugestions.
Rick

D'oh!!! Almost forgot.
The car is a 02 Z28 with 3900 miles.
Rick

What about going with Mobil 1's 5w40 Delvac 1? It's a bit harder to find (typically it's only in truck stops, except up here in Canada it's sold at Walmart) but it's a very good oil.

I think I saw Delvac 1300 this morning at Walmart, but not Delvac 1.
So, would this oil be ok for a gas engine?

Patman,

Try the Phillips 15W40 HD that Dragboat (Oil Analysis section) was discussing with 250 mL of #132.

If its an oil film thickness problem on the piston skirt/liner interface, then that mix should fix it.

What you do is what the manual says, you have 3900 miles on a brand new car! You can go with synthetic, but I would wait until 6K miles and then use whatever grade the manual says is "preferred". When you out of warranty, then mess with the heavier grades and mixing and such. The engine is designed to run with the specific grade of oil for a reason, and it not just the CAFE as commonly stated here, just stick with it.

Hey chief,
from what I have heard, these engines come with M1 since 2001.....so sythetic is fine.
Rick

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Hey chief,
from what I have heard, these engines come with M1 since 2001.....so sythetic is fine.
Rick

Actually, it was early in the 2002 production that the f-body LS1 got Mobil 1. It's not well advertised that this happened, but it happened about a month or two into the model year.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Hey chief,
Rick

Actually, it was early in the 2002 production that the f-body LS1 got Mobil 1. It's not well advertised that this happened, but it happened about a month or two into the model year.

According to some chevy guy that works for GM, they started to fill with M1 on 1 Oct 01. I wouldn't know though.
Rick

BTW, I decided to go with M1 10W-30 and 1 quart of M1 15W-50, hopefully this will bring the viscosity to the higher end of the 30wt scale or lower 40wt scale.
cool.gif

Hey Molakule,

I don't know if I really want to run everything 15W-40. I'm thinking or putting in 2 quarts of 15W-40 M1 and the rest 10W-30 M1..........or give supertech a try; hopefully it's thicker than M1 or also find the Delvac 1.
Thanks, Rick

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Hey chief,
Rick

According to some chevy guy that works for GM, they started to fill with M1 on 1 Oct 01. I wouldn't know though.
Rick

That sounds about right. Production on new model year f-bodies typically started in August, so October 01 would be about 1-2 months into the 02 production cycle.

quote:

Originally posted by Tim H.:
What would 3 quarts of 10w-30 and one quart of 15w-50 yield? 12W-35? something like that maybe?

I don't know? What would the VI of two quarts SS 10/30- 9.8 and two quarts SS 15/50- 15.5 be at 212 F ? 13.6 ?

My 01 SS # 1869 had M1 from the factory FWIW....

SS/LS

Hey chief,
Rick
[/QUOTE]Actually, it was early in the 2002 production that the f-body LS1 got Mobil 1. It's not well advertised that this happened, but it happened about a month or two into the model year.[/qb][/QUOTE]According to some chevy guy that works for GM, they started to fill with M1 on 1 Oct 01. I wouldn't know though.
Rick

[/qb][/QUOTE]That sounds about right. Production on new model year f-bodies typically started in August, so October 01 would be about 1-2 months into the 02 production cycle.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Well......
I had decided on one quart of 15W50 and the other five of 10W30. I went to Walmart today and found out that they don't sell the 5 quart jugs anymore (they sold them all). They only have the single quarts. This is what I'm thinking now: If I buy the single quarts @ $4.77 each, that's $28.62 (the 5 quart jug was only $17.88)....I can also get the AMSOIL 10W30 for $5.85 each for a total of $35.10. Wouldn't it make more sense to spend the extra $7 and get the better oil (AMSOIL)? Should I just stop being such a pu$$y and just get regular dino oil and change every 3-3.5k miles and also save the money.
I hear GTX is good and so is Pennzoil....even SuperTech is ok. Is there that much protection in synthetics over dino even if you change every 3-3.5k miles with the dino???

Thanks for being so patient with this dummy!
frown.gif

Rick

[ November 17, 2002, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

quote:

Wouldn't it make more sense to spend the extra $7 and get the better oil (AMSOIL)? ... Is there that much protection in synthetics over dino even if you change every 3-3.5k miles with the dino???

Rick,
I remember reading a study Amsoil did with NYC taxi cabs, where they ran dino & syn oils for varying durations. One of their baselines was dino oil changed every 3k miles, & by the end of the test some of the most abused syn oils showed better wear protection than the dino baseline. I think it was something like a 12k mile interval with a regular full-flow filter, not a bypass. It's been a while since I've read it, but I'm sure the Amsoil sponsers here could help us out with the specifics.

so, syn will almost always be better!
That's the answer i need.
Rick

quote:

Hey guys, I'm looking to replace Mobil 1 in my car for another brand. I'm trying to get rid of some the piston slap.

Rotella T Synthetic (5w40) has virtually eliminated the piston slap in my GM 3.4 V6, which was still somewhat evident with Mobil 1 5w30. (It was VERY evident using conventional oil.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back