New oil and filter for my tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Kubota L3800 diesel tractor that gets used 20-30 hours per year. It had the oil and filter changed at the 50 hour service, which was at least three years ago. It has 136 hours now and since the oil had been in there a while I decided to change it. I collected a sample for a UOA because I don't want to leave oil in it for years if that's going to be harmful, but I also don't want to be wasting perfectly good oil just because a year has passed on the calendar.

I had purchased a Purolator classic filter several years ago, but when I spun off the old filter I was struck by how much heavier the OEM filter was than the replacement—-like maybe twice as heavy. So I went to town and picked up a different filter from the only auto parts store. They stock Hastings filters and the one I bought was similar in weight and sturdiness to the factory Kubota can.

I assume Hastings makes good filters?

Hastings = Baldwin

Same filter, different color and marketing scheme

Yes, they are very good filters and have been on millions of diesel engines over the years.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Hastings = Baldwin

Same filter, different color and marketing scheme

Yes, they are very good filters and have been on millions of diesel engines over the years.

Not always. Some have different construction for the same application.

Try a Wix 51515 instead of the Kubota HH160-32430 oil filter.
Same base, same bypass, just longer.
A Wix 51773 also fits, but may be too long.

Look at NAPA, Napa Gold 1515, or 1773...
Or RockAuto, don't forget the discount code,...

Shell Rotella T6 in 5W-40 or 0W-40 run really well in Kubota's...

Nice tractor. Yours is pre tier 4 and diesel particulate filter right? I have the L2501. Smaller engine wise, but similar model. No emissions or ECM since it's under 26.5 horse. Factory spec OCI is 400 hours. 10w30, 15w40 and straight 30.

I'm going to do yearly 15w40/ Kubota filter changes while under warranty then bi yearly 5w40 and aftermarket filters. WIX or Fram for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Nice tractor. Yours is pre tier 4 and diesel particulate filter right? I have the L2501. Smaller engine wise, but similar model. No emissions or ECM since it's under 26.5 horse. Factory spec OCI is 400 hours. 10w30, 15w40 and straight 30.

I'm going to do yearly 15w40/ Kubota filter changes while under warranty then bi yearly 5w40 and aftermarket filters. WIX or Fram for me.

I think I he Hastings is a fine fit. We use many baldwin made filters on engines at work.
I like Delo 5w40 for your tractor but seriously any HDEO 15w40 to 5w40 from Walmart should be about as good as any.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad

Yes, it's a 2013. One of the reasons I bought when I did was to avoid all the extra emissions stuff on the newer ones. I gave it regular old Valvoline 15w-40 because it seems just as good as anything else. Honestly as few hours a year as it gets used I think the oil is a corrosion preventer as much as a friction reducer.

You can't really gauge a filter's quality based on how much it weighs. Have to open them up after use and see how they held up, virgin filters don't tell us much, either.
That said, I use a Fram Ultra on my Kubota diesel B2150, be on there for 2 years soon and I don't worry about it! I opted for T6 5W-40 though because of the frigid temps we get, I mainly use the tractor for snow removal during the winter. Tractor has low hours too, around 680, but lived a neglected life where it came from. So, when I change the oil this fall, I plan to cut the filter open to see how nasty it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back