New oil additive saves 2% on gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good news.....but production MAY begin within 5 years???? They have been working on it for over 10 years and another 5 to go for production?

Sounds like one of those things that gets swept under the rug because the pace of technology outpaces their invention.

But I do hope it comes to fruition....2% is a big deal!

What you have to realize with this kind of public sponsored research is that every now and again they have to share what they are doing in a way that makes it look like they are really on to something. Not to say they are not..but they need the publicity so that their political sponsors can use that to obtain more funding and jobs for the for the folks around Oak Ridge. Having spent my life in research, I am well aware of the need for this type of publicity.

Keep your eye on this stuff and see if it ever makes it to the real marketplace. Many of the researchers are pure academics and don't really have the knowledge of how the market place works (cost, manufacturability, raw material availability, etc).

Yep...the pure academics are fun to deal with when it actually comes time to bring product to market.

(The Academic)...What do you mean you are cancelling my funding?!?!? This product is perfect! I have the equations and data to prove it! This will change the world!

(The People Paying For the Research)....Yeah, but no one wants to pay $1,200 for a quart of oil so that they can save $1 every time they fill up their gas tank.

There's nothing in that article that private enterprise hasn't been working on for years. They're just trying to justify their existence.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
They need money. It's pretty simple. So they drum up a headline for PR.It works, apparently...

And you know that how? Why not find out more before being cynical? Your guesses and snide remarks harm the truth.
Thats your style, I understand, from reading many of your posts. From now on, either post with facts or don't post.

Originally Posted By: route66mike
They need money. It's pretty simple. So they drum up a headline for PR.It works, apparently...

And you know that how? Why not find out more before being cynical? Your guesses and snide remarks harm the truth.
Thats your style, I understand, from reading many of your posts. From now on, either post with facts or don't post.

Luckily I do not require your permission.

It's not cynicism, it's a fact of life for groups that require funding to continue research. Your naivete notwithstanding...

Luckily I do not require your permission.
It's not cynicism, it's a fact of life for groups that require funding to continue research. Your naivete notwithstanding...

Just put some facts, once in a while. Do readers a favor. Try it once. Of course you have nothing to back up your Statler & Waldorf style claims.

stevesrt, How about this: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/12/20131230-qu.html

"Dr. Jun Qu, has developed a new group of ionic liquids as lubricant additives that could help improve the energy efficiency of cars and trucks. Prototype low-viscosity ionic liquid-additized engine oil demonstrated a 2% improved fuel economy compared to Mobil 1 5W-30 engine oil (3.93% over the 20W-30 baseline oil) in standard fuel efficiency engine dynamometer tests. The prototype oil also successfully passed a 100-hour high-temperature, high-load engine dynamometer test."

"In a newer paper in Tribology International, the team reports the anti-scuffing/anti-wear behavior and mechanism of the oil-miscible ionic liquid in a base oil at 1.0 wt% concentration under both room and elevated temperatures. Results are benchmarked against those for a conventional anti-wear additive, zinc dialkyl-dithiophosphate (ZDDP).

They conducted reciprocating sliding, boundary lubrication tests using a piston ring segment against a cylinder liner piece cut from actual automotive engine components. Although the IL and ZDDP worked equally well to prevent scuffing and reduce wear in the room-temperature tests, the IL significantly outperformed ZDDP in the 100 °C tests."

would've thought snake oil based on the headline too;
But the quotes are from reps and undergoing testing at Oak Ridge National Lab, who don't have an ulterior motive.

so, yay for science!

For the deniers of progress and trying new things, get bent and enjoy your barrel of API-SA oil that you bought in 1930.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
There's nothing in that article that private enterprise hasn't been working on for years. They're just trying to justify their existence.

Hello? Notice a trend here?

Also, I did not diss the product, just stated how these projects need publicity to generate funding. About the same thing A_Harman said as well...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nebroch
WS² maybe?

Article states that it "reduces" viscosity while maintaining wear protection...so I would guess that it's more a liquid additive than solid, and the energy reduction is the traditional reduction in work against the fluid.

Qu is not the only guy or team who is working on Ionic Liquids.

The article makes it sounds like he's a lone wolf hero but that is not the case. This is not to dismiss his research, but he is not the only one doing research on IL's.

And there are private enterprises working on this as well, in deference to the USAToday article.

This paper also describes some research into Ionic Liquids:

A Review of Ionic Liquid Lubricants by
Anthony E. Somers, Patrick C. Howlett, Douglas R. MacFarlane, and Maria Forsyth of the University of Vistoria, Australia, can be found in Lubricants 2013.

QU is the lead author of the paper: Comparison of an oil-miscible ionic liquid and ZDDP as a lubricant anti-wear additive, Jun Qu, Huimin Luo, Miaofang Chi, Cheng Ma, Peter J. Blau, Sheng Dai, Michael B.Viola, in Tribology International l71,(2014)88–97.

So Qu had a large team working with him.

TLT, April 2010 also has an article on IL's.

But folks, it is the the real thing. I know because I have some in the lab.

One of the two IL's I am currently testing is described in: FME Transactions VOL. 36, No 3, 2008, by Michel Roegiers, Hongli Zhang and Boris Zhmud.

Last edited:
BTW, this is not something you would buy OTC.

It would incorporated in PI packages by additive suppliers.

BTW, this is not something you would buy OTC.

It would incorporated in PI packages by additive suppliers.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
But folks, it is the the real thing. I know because I have some in the lab.

Hopefully THIS^^^ will be enough to quell those on here who are COMPELLED to instantly label everything as "snake oil", from doing so with this group of additives.
wink.gif

ILs have been available in various forms since about 2009.

New forms of ILs are being developed almost yearly.

So far I have been able formulate a PCMO oil with both forms of IL.

I dropped both the viscosity (down to 8.7 cSt) and ZDDP (down to 300 ppm) and the oil was tested in engines speced for 5W30 to 10W30. Wear was in the 0.2 to 0.7 ppm/1k miles.

So ILs doe show some promise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back