New Nissan Titan XD w/5.6l oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not overly concerned with the price (with-in reason) - I ran PPU 5w-30 then switched to PPU Euro 0w-40 in my 2015 Expedition with a 3.5L ecoboost after the warranty exprired.

I just want the best product that will protect that specific engine. Figuring the difference in $25/30 worth of oil compared to $50/60 really it's going to break the bank - compared to the price of the vehicle. Plus I am still saving money by doing it myself vs paying over $100 at a shop.

I also do like picking one oil & filter product, and if it performs well, staying with it for the life of the vehicle.

Due to the nature of this engine to being tough on oil, what do members think about using a high moly oil? Like ZEPRO Eco Medalist Advanced Moly 0W-20 API SN, ILSAC GF-5 Engine Oil?

Originally Posted by josephp732
I am not overly concerned with the price (with-in reason) - I ran PPU 5w-30 then switched to PPU Euro 0w-40 in my 2015 Expedition with a 3.5L ecoboost after the warranty exprired.

I just want the best product that will protect that specific engine. Figuring the difference in $25/30 worth of oil compared to $50/60 really it's going to break the bank - compared to the price of the vehicle. Plus I am still saving money by doing it myself vs paying over $100 at a shop.

I also do like picking one oil & filter product, and if it performs well, staying with it for the life of the vehicle.

Due to the nature of this engine to being tough on oil, what do members think about using a high moly oil? Like ZEPRO Eco Medalist Advanced Moly 0W-20 API SN, ILSAC GF-5 Engine Oil?

If you're insistent on doing everything for warranty concerns, it sounds like you're insisting on using 0W-20 along with the factory specified 5k mile oil change intervals. Motul makes a fine product, but with the 5k mile OCIs and the fact that pretty much any API SN PLUS, ILSAC GF5 0W-20 meets Nissan's requirements, it's more like spending twice as much just to feel good rather than have any concrete improvements.

However, if you really want something that's marketed for your specific requirements (0W-20, towing, possibly a lot of idling) then there's this:

[Linked Image]

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rotella-Gas-Truck-0w20-Sngf5-5-Quart/656815922

It could be marketing or it could be real. However, it's at a good price point and frankly Shell makes some of the best motor oils in the world. Rotella has always been the standard in the trucking industry, and their development teams make all sorts of motor oils under the Shell Helix, Shell Rotella, Pennzoil, and Quaker State names.

I just ordered a case of 4 - 5q jugs (paid $32 a jug or $6.60 a quart) of the Zepro Eco Medalist Advanced Moly 0W-20 Engine Oil. For warranty reasons - I will be following the Nissan 5k OCI service schedule. I will do my first oil change coming off the factory fill this week. Should take me about 3 months to get to the next oil change at 10k miles, at that point I will send a sample in to Blackstone. Thanks for all the input!

I just ordered a case of 4 - 5q jugs (paid $32 a jug or $6.60 a quart) of the Zepro Eco Medalist Advanced Moly 0W-20 Engine Oil. For warranty reasons - I will be following the Nissan 5k OCI service schedule. I will do my first oil change coming off the factory fill this week. Should take me about 3 months to get to the next oil change at 10k miles, at that point I will send a sample in to Blackstone. Thanks for all the input!

This one?

https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/zepro/0w-20

14% NOACK?

Yes that one.

OK. I don't see a problem with it as it meets all the requirements for an API SN 0W-20. However, that NOACK volatility spec seems a bit high compared to many of the other oil available. For example, even with Idemitsu they list 11% for the ZEPRO 0W-20 demos, and 11.4% for Idemitsu 0W-20.

However, I still think it doesn't really matter all that much with 5k mile OCIs. It would be very difficult to detect any differences in longevity. Heck - even SuperTech 0W-20 should be fine.

I did notice the higher 14% NOACK, but also figured the 5K OCI's sort of mitigate it. After researching this engine it seems the one issue that keeps getting mentioned is the chain wear/stretching, so my thought process was to try an oil with a high moly content. What's your thoughts around that?

What do you think of changing to a high content zinc oil, after the warranty is up, like RP HPS 5w-30?

Last edited:
I did notice the higher 14% NOACK, but also figured the 5K OCI's sort of mitigate it. After researching this engine it seems the one issue that keeps getting mentioned is the chain wear/stretching, so my thought process was to try an oil with a high moly content. What's your thoughts around that?

What do you think of changing to a high content zinc oil, after the warranty is up, like RP HPS 5w-30?

I'd think the key would be the 5k OCIs. Not that I'd guarantee it, but it would be my guess that it could do fine on "conventional" 5W-20 or 5W-30 with 5k OCIs, but that they're going to 0W-20 to wring every last bit of fuel economy for average fuel economy testing.

Also - sorry about all the typos and grammatical mistakes in my previous post. That should have read dexos. Spell check took over and I didn't notice.

Side topic - your comment about average fuel economy - the Titan XD is classified as a heavy duty truck. I thought HD vehicles were excluded from CAFE? There is no EPA milage rating for this vehicle, atleast none that I can find.

Side topic - your comment about average fuel economy - the Titan XD is classified as a heavy duty truck. I thought HD vehicles were excluded from CAFE? There is no EPA milage rating for this vehicle, atleast none that I can find.

They were added sometime around 2011 I think.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/laws-regulations/corporate-average-fuel-economy

NHTSA's Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards regulate how far our vehicles must travel on a gallon of fuel. NHTSA sets CAFE standards for passenger cars and for light trucks (collectively, light-duty vehicles), and separately sets fuel consumption standards for medium- and heavy-duty trucks and engines. NHTSA also regulates the fuel-economy window stickers on new vehicles. This site contains information about many aspects of these programs, and we encourage you to check back as new information is posted.

Originally Posted by dave1251
For 5K miles and since just about every 0W20 meets DEXOS I would buy the cheapest but it's nice to help the 'little guy" out.

Strangely enough the one the OP chose doesn't. I thought that dexos has a NOACK requirement under 13% compared to the API SN requirement for under 15%.

OP, did you by any chance get an answer from NIssan? I just purchased a 2018 Titan XD 5.6 liter engine and in the manual this year it only states OW20. 5W30 is not mentioned and I'm in Florida where it's pretty hot for 7 months of the year. My selling dealer used synthetic blend house 5W30 before they sold the truck, however, can't provide me a written statement saying it's ok to use synthetic 5w30. I emailed NIssan Customer relations and they gave me back a corporate political response saying use what the manual states despite their own dealer using 5w30. Nissan dealers I've called really don't know the answer to this.

Sorry for the long post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back