New Nissan 15208-9E01A cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had one of these laying around since I traded in the Frontier back in December. Figured a cut and post would be a good use of it. Looks solidly built, just some extra glue around the end cap. I always like these mainly because of the o-ring gasket on the bottom. I was shocked to see this one had metal end caps. I thought they had gone to fiber end caps?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's from the Mexican company Gonher - seems well made. I've used them - from Nissan dealer - when I was within the warranty period for my Maxima, now that she's out of the powertrain warranty I am using Mahle from RockAuto.

These are nice filters with the metal end-caps and silicone ADBV. I was considering them for the '08 Altima 2.5L I take care of. But for just a few bucks extra I use a Fram Ultra instead.

That's probably overkill given the OCI is only 3700 mi, but I just like the synthetic, wire-backed media of the Ultra. Other than that, the two filters seem nearly identical.

Last edited:
Having been around Nissan's all my life I can tell you the best quality Genuine Nissan oil filters were manufactured in Japan. Unfortunately Nissan out sourced and the Nissan Genuine oil filter are now made in Mexico. If you search you can still find the Genuine Nissan oil filters that are made in Japan or you can purchase the Nissan Genuine oil filters direct from Japan like I do. The only other oil filters I would ever consider using on any Nissan other than the Japan Spec Genuine Nissan oil filter would be the Nismo brand oil filter or the K&N oil filter. The worst oil filters I ever used were the Fram oil filters. I had three Fram oil filters leak on me and yes I properly tighten every oil filter I install.

Last edited:
Being unused/new the adbv defect that I discovered in the Grupo Gonher made Nissan OEM filters doesn't show in this anecdote. That makes sense since it has not been exposed to oil pressure through the inlet holes. I would have said mine was perhaps an anomaly, however as can be seen in the referenced linked thread, I point out/link two other bitog posted Gonher Nissan anecdotes in the OP that show the same defect. So, these filters have an adbv issue.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5075372/nissan-15208-65foe-adbv-defect

As for Nissan filter construction, the factory filters are fiber end cap Mahle made filters. They made in Japan, and use nitrile adbv.

Originally Posted by Nissanfan845
The worst oil filters I ever used were the Fram oil filters. I had three Fram oil filters leak on me and yes I properly tighten every oil filter I install.

You must be incredibly inept at installation then.

Originally Posted by kschachn
The worst oil filters I ever used were the Fram oil filters. I had three Fram oil filters leak on me and yes I properly tighten every oil filter I install.

This I've never had a problem with any screw on filter leaking in only 59 years of changing oil. Sometimes you just have to take things on BITOG with a couple grains of salt.

Rough crowd today
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Being unused/new the adbv defect that I discovered in the Grupo Gonher made Nissan OEM filters doesn't show in this anecdote. That makes sense since it has not been exposed to oil pressure through the inlet holes. I would have said mine was perhaps an anomaly, however as can be seen in the referenced linked thread, I point out/link two other bitog posted Gonher Nissan anecdotes in the OP that show the same defect. So, these filters have an adbv issue.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5075372/nissan-15208-65foe-adbv-defect

As for Nissan filter construction, the factory filters are fiber end cap Mahle made filters. They made in Japan, and use nitrile adbv.

Interesting. I was thinking of picking up a couple of Nissan Filters for my Frontier. I think I'll just keep using the Fram Ultras.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

This I've never had a problem with any screw on filter leaking in only 59 years of changing oil. Sometimes you just have to take things on BITOG with a couple grains of salt.

A couple of grains ...³...³...³...³
More like a full box ...†...†...†

K20FA5 said:
I had one of these laying around since I traded in the Frontier back in December. Figured a cut and post would be a good use of it. Looks solidly built, just some extra glue around the end cap. I always like these mainly because of the o-ring gasket on the bottom. I was shocked to see this one had metal end caps. I thought they had gone to fiber end caps?
Those pesky metal end caps. What are we to do?
grin.gif

Having been around Nissan's all my life I can tell you the best quality Genuine Nissan oil filters were manufactured in Japan. Unfortunately Nissan out sourced and the Nissan Genuine oil filter are now made in Mexico. If you search you can still find the Genuine Nissan oil filters that are made in Japan or you can purchase the Nissan Genuine oil filters direct from Japan like I do. The only other oil filters I would ever consider using on any Nissan other than the Japan Spec Genuine Nissan oil filter would be the Nismo brand oil filter or the K&N oil filter. The worst oil filters I ever used were the Fram oil filters. I had three Fram oil filters leak on me and yes I properly tighten every oil filter I install.

stand your ground, dont let these fram fan boys change your mindset.

there are FEW TIME im try find a buget $5 under oil filter and easy to get local, IM A FAN of shopping oil at midnight, mabe that when im getting off work. I like going to walmart select my favor brand of oil and turn around pick a motorcraft oil filter ( I still think motorcraft oil filter is best bang for your buck if you drive a ford , $3,97 you cant beat that ) But anyway but if I need pick up other 5 dollar under oil filter, Fram is right there, and FEW TIME i was going to give it a chance after it switch over to silicone ADBV, after open the box, visual and hold it, i cant get myself to get it , it look dirty inside, around the gasket, very light, the some spot is over glue, or glues smirt around the base of the gasket.... feel very cheap cheap made. I cant install this on my engine, my conclude for best oil filter under $5 ( beside motorcraft ) are NAPA Silver, it feel like well contruct and clean, solid. easy 5k miles or 6 month.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

A couple of grains ...³...³...³...³
More like a full box ...†...†...†

When I owned a Nissan 370z all I ever used was FRAM oil and air filters. Not one issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back