New Nissan 1.8L Free Of Head Gasket Problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad is looking at the new Nissan Versa. I told him the 1.8 can be problematic as far as leaking head gaskets. Nissan says it`s an all new engine,from their web site;

With an all-new 1.8-liter 4-cylinder engine featuring an all-aluminum block and head, microfinished camshafts and crankshaft, as well as molybdenum-coated pistons. All this leads to improved friction, thermal efficiency and one exhilarating drive.

In addition, an advanced Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System provides smooth power and aids fuel efficiency. The engine also produces 90% of its torque at 2400 rpm etc..

Sound good? Thanks in advance for any replies.
grin.gif

Its an all new engine:

"The 1.8-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine used in the Versa, termed MR18 within Nissan, is an all-new aluminum unit, designed particularly for the new platform and for compactness and high thermal efficiency. This engine has the intake manifold in front and the exhaust manifold in back - the opposite of Nissan fours in recent history - allowing smaller catalytic converters to be used. Its rating of 122 horsepower and 127 lb-ft of torque puts it near the top of the list in its class. The Sentra that's on the way for this fall will have a 2.0-liter version of this same engine."

However I caution you on two issues: It is a "New" engine with "New" problems. And nissan has not been able to produce a good solid engine in the last 10 years. No reason to think that this will be different. As a Nissan owner myself. I would avoid this one like the plague.
frown.gif

Baloney, go to Ebay and look at all of the high mileaged Nissans for sale. I'm amazed that they are getting 300k out of many of their engines.

quote:

Originally posted by kcryan:
Can you spell VQ?????

When was the VQ first introduced. Agreed..the VQ is probably the best they ever produced. I thought it was around 10 years old.

Introduced in 1993..I guess I'm still right.
wink.gif

Drew, the "new" 1.8Ls are head gasket eaters from the get go. Go look on the Nissan message boards. The older 1.6L and the 2.0L are TANKS though.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
"Its rating of 122 horsepower and 127 lb-ft of torque puts it near the top of the list in its class."

Huh, what? That's actually 4 hp and 2 lb-ft less than the their current 1.8 Sentra, which is a dog by the way, unless it's mated to a manual tranny and you keep your fingers away from the A/C button.

Honda's 1.8 engine is rated at 140 hp, so Nissan really doesn't have anything to brag about.

quote:

And nissan has not been able to produce a good solid engine in the last 10 years.

The 2.4l engine on my '91 Stanza was problem-free for 170k miles (when I sold it), alas that's going 15 years back. But the current 3.5 liter Nissan V6 engines have been generally pretty good from I've heard. Of course, that engine will not be put in the Sentra...

It looks like my 1.8 is in the process of eating my head gasket. I only have 20K on my car. I will find out at my next OCI @ 24K.

I been taken a interest in the Versa. I saw a couple on the road already. The only thing I don't like about them is. You can't have the anti-lock brake package with the other two packages on the SL. What is Nissan thinking?
dunno.gif

Al is right about the last good engine from Nissan. They don't make then like they use to. SR20DE, KA24DE, VQ30DE, VQ35DE all the last great engines from Nissan.

The vg30e , vg30de ,and the vg33e are all very tough engines.

The new vq40de seems to be a very good one as well although more time is needed to know.

The vk45de and the vk56de seem to be very solid as well.

The 1.8 is questionable as well as the 2.5

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by kcryan:
Can you spell VQ?????

When was the VQ first introduced. Agreed..the VQ is probably the best they ever produced. I thought it was around 10 years old.

Introduced in 1993..I guess I'm still right.
wink.gif

Ohh you scared the **** outta me there, in the us i think the 95 maximas were the first to have it so your about right, but the VQ35 could be considered a different engine, and that came out in 2001, its all in how you count it i guess, at least your not insane like i initially thought...

The KA24 motor is a nice solid motor from the Nissan 240sx. Only problems i've heard with those are the infamous timing chain rattle, but it's a quick fix.

don't forget guys, we had someone on the UOA thread with a 5.6 L Nissan Titan with major wear metal problems. Nissan's response? trade it in for another nissan titan and take $2k trade loss.
thumbsdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Its an all new engine:

"The 1.8-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine used in the Versa, termed MR18 within Nissan, is an all-new aluminum unit, designed particularly for the new platform and for compactness and high thermal efficiency. This engine has the intake manifold in front and the exhaust manifold in back - the opposite of Nissan fours in recent history - allowing smaller catalytic converters to be used. Its rating of 122 horsepower and 127 lb-ft of torque puts it near the top of the list in its class. The Sentra that's on the way for this fall will have a 2.0-liter version of this same engine."

However I caution you on two issues: It is a "New" engine with "New" problems. And nissan has not been able to produce a good solid engine in the last 10 years. No reason to think that this will be different. As a Nissan owner myself. I would avoid this one like the plague.
frown.gif

The Titan's VK56DE is very, very strong. I miss mine already
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
don't forget guys, we had someone on the UOA thread with a 5.6 L Nissan Titan with major wear metal problems. Nissan's response? trade it in for another nissan titan and take $2k trade loss.
thumbsdown.gif

Only one I have heard of. The engine in the Titan is the truck's strong point.

We won't talk about the brakes and the differentials though
grin.gif

OK back on topic!

I test drove a Versa. I liked it, but Nissan made one major, major screwup on it:

THE BACK SEATS DO NOT FOLD FLAT!

That one factor seriously limits the utility of the hatchback. I wanted to be able to get my bike in the back but alas I cannot. So I told the salesperson I wasn't interested.

Too bad...the car is very roomy for a small car. I am 6'7" and was able to sit comfortably in the back seat!

if your looking to put your bike in the back, I got a 06 Pontiac Vibe hatch that my giant bike fits nicely
smile.gif

I'm done with Nissans in spite of my forum name. Look at the Mazda3. '07 brings the Mazdaspeed3 if so inclined for around $23k. My way less zoom zoom '06 3iT 2.0l with ATX was $6k less than that. Versa sedan was high on my list, too, but I came to my senses in spite of brand loyalty. I will always keep a mid 90's hardbody p/u rolling if at all possible and I cannot manage to finish off the '96 Sentra 1.6l due to BITOG's influence. Newer offerings appear to be suspect at times. Altima oil burners, etc. Why bother? How about an owner's review if you do get the Versa? Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back