New Motul 300v range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link. Looking at 300V comparative evaluation which is so impressive, I start to ask myself what kind of sh.t my car was using for so a long time. As for the new stuff, the valve train wear protection provided by 300V could be better. The lowest wear I could see was with 5W-30 and 0W-40 from Elf and Total (less than 4 % if I am not mistaken).

But Motul makes progress in customers' communication.

Sorry, did a search on Motul & 300v and didnt see any reference to the new oils. Maybe just my eyes!

How do you guys feel about using 300V for everyday road use ? Plenty of people swear by Redline (who don't race), so I don't see how using 300V can "damage" something...

Currently running it in 4 cars at home, plus my son runs it in his Nissan 180sx turbo. His might not qaulify for normal street use. He drives it like he stole it.

Interestingly the 300v spec sheets state that the oils can be mixed in the series to get the desired viscosity, but not with the 5w-40.

Just bought some of the "new" 300v oil yesterday. Not readily available at stores, but fortunately at the store nearby that I frequent and get a discount. However, the price has gone up. The old "oil in the tins was $39.99 per 2 litres. The "new" oil in the plastic containers is $46.99. Still 2 litres per container.

Wow thats a huge price hike. I wonder what the new formulations contain. Moly perhaps? I wouldnt mind a VOA on this!
wink.gif

But yeah the new range looks exciting!

quote:

Originally posted by Primus:
Which grade would give lower valve train wear ?

Would be great to learn from somebody what the theorie and practice say about impact of weight on valve train wear.

As for the properties of a new range, all grades are formulated with a lower flash point than it was in the past (I can only guess why), but what is HT/HS ! It became really higher. Interesting that 5W-40 (most likely biogradable like its predecessor) has higher HT/HS than 10W-40.

It will also be interesting to see what the NOAK is on them.
The old 6100 5w-40, now 8100 xcess was 11.6%.
Unfortunately none of my 300V sheets have a NOAK %.

Rick.

quote:

Would be great to learn from somebody what the theorie and practice say about impact of weight on valve train wear.

In my limited experience, it is a combination of valve train weight, valve spring pressures, materials used, surface finish and hardness.

So many variables in that little group, it's almost a science in itself.

Rick.

According to the graphs in my link above the new 300v is tested as having less than half the valvetrain wear of the old 300v.

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
According to the graphs in my link above the new 300v is tested as having less than half the valvetrain wear of the old 300v.

These graphs give just a general idea/trend, but data itself is similar to an average patients' temperature in the hospital. No doubts that 0W-20 and 20W-60 will give different wear.

And thanks for your link. It's wonderful that somebody may closely follow manufacturers' updates and let others know.
cheers.gif

Today I stopped by my buddy's house and took a couple of snap shots of new MOTUL 300V 0W-20.

Pictures of MOTUL 300V 0W-20

The shinny metal can looks cool
cool.gif
By the way, he will run this oil in his Mazdaspeed Spec. Miata race car. I will ask him if he'd be interested in doing UOA after few races.

The new 300v in Australia is in plastic bottles.
Motul Australia Product line.
The previous version was in either cans as shown in the post above but with either a metal spout and screw off cap (easy to cut your fingers on the metal cap) or a pull up plastic spout. The cans shown in the pictures look like the pull up plastic spout type.

The tin cans are amazingly thin metal. Put an empty one with lin on in the sun on even a fairly cool day and it will instantly start buckling.

[ June 07, 2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: theguru ]

Here's a link that shows thier full range of automobile oils and gives a little more info than the above Motul

The dual esters are a complex ester and a macromolecular high polymer ester .

Fuchs-Silkolene has just threw a new ester oil into the mix but I have forgot the name they put on it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back