New Motorcraft FL320S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I changed the oil on my 03 Escape today I noticed the new filter is a little different from the one installed last October. The labeling is a little different, and the can looks a little shorter. Has anyone else noticed this? Has Ford changed vendors?

I think the jury is still out w/ most folks on the new, smaller FL820s. I'm glad I found a case of the old larger filters for around 2.90 a filter...

I have an 07 F150 (FL820S) and its a PITA to get to the filter, all they have done is make it harder to reach now that its shorter. Plus I dont see how they can rationalize a filter that small doing an adequate job on 7 quarts of oil.

Last edited:
My theory is that newer machining on engines tend to have tighter clearances and use thinner oil than in the old days. Plus media is better. It's not the sump capacity, but the gallons per minute and the oil viscocity that determine filter pressure drop. And just the GPM and mileage driven that determine needed dirt capacity. Everyone is using smaller filters and engines are still lasting longer and longer.
They can be a bear to get off though if they're too short.

Actually, the shorter filter would probably be easier to change on my daughters Expedition. The last time I changed oil on it, it took two of us to get the filter out, one from the bottom and one from the top.

Has anyone taken one of these new filters apart yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back