"New" Motor oil analysis and use questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member, first post here. Hello.

In summary: I have 40+ gallons of 'new' motor oil that I want to test a few samples to see what it is, the quality, etc. before I use it for any application. Before anyone goes crazy, I doubt this will ever end up in any valuable engine... but perhaps it will be good for the mower, household tools, squeaky doors, gun lubricant, etc. Relatively new to oil uses... car, mower, guns, tools... perhaps folks could chime in on tips for this oil and future uses and testing?

I just scored a freebie off Craigslist. This was a rusty old 55 gallon metal drum, probably a decade old. The home owner said it came with the house and the previous owner worked in the Aerospace and/or military and claimed it was Aerospace oil of some sort. No other explanation.

So I show up and sure enough, the barrel is quite rusty. I had brought 10 five gallon cans that had previously stored Acetone in them (possibly a film of Acetone in them). I didn't have time to clean these out, but doubt a film of Acetone will make any difference in 5 gallons of oil. Perhaps I'm wrong.

We carefully poured approximately 40 gallons of oil from this barrel into the cans. The oil looked like new, caramel colored motor oil. The viscosity felt like your typical new 30 or 40 weight motor oil. Unfortunately some small rust particles were in the oil, so I will need to carefully filter this out before I use it (I'm thinking a mess metal coffee filter, or something similar... it will take some effort and time). But the amount of rust particles was relatively insignificant and should easily be filtered out.

So, assuming this oil is say a decade old, some questions:
1. If it's conventional, would signs of breakdown from sitting outside (mild climate in Washington state) be evident, or would it be irrelevant?

2. If it's aerospace oil, or even if not, was synthetic available and common 10 years ago?

3. If I send this in for analysis, where should I send it? Blackstone or elsewhere? Or just skip it and use the oil exclusively as I originally intended, small parts around the home, nothing too expensive (squeaky doors, general lubricant for small parts and tools, gun lube, etc.?)

4. Did I screw up putting it in Acetone cans? I really had no options and needed it immediately or would lose out. And no time to clean the cans. They were dry, or effectively dry (maybe a thin residue film of Acetone at most).

5. Any other insights appreciated.

But, I figure, at a few dollars per quart, 40 gallons of even basic oil assuming it holds its viscous properties, I scored hundreds of dollars in usable oil... Or, am I wrong in thinking that?

Would you send it in for testing? And let's say the tests come back saying this is a super good quality oil... would you venture to use it in a vehicle (once filtered out - again, a trivial amount of rust particles)?

I know, a lot of questions. Thanks in advance. I'll monitor, and chime in to clarify any questions.

Wanted to add something.

My starting point is to assume that this oil had some value to the original owner. It would have been a either expensive and/or a hassle for him to bring it home from work, or elsewhere. It would have weighed about 450 pounds full when new.

And I'm told that he used it around the house, as was the current owner.

So, my rationale would have been that this would have been worth the cost and/or effort to bring it home.

The reason the current owners were giving it away was 1) they were listing their house to move soon and no longer wanted it and 2) this was a potential chemical spill hazard given the rusty condition of the barrel.

Cool find, but I wouldn't use it in any valuable equipment...ever. A $20 oil analysis will only reveal a few chemical and physical properties, both of which are irrelevant if you do not know what this lubricant is or what use(s) it is specified for. Tread lightly around this stuff OP.

I wouldnt chance it,there was a period of time about 20 years ago bpc oil was a blooming industry,some found how toxic this stuff was (south of montreal quebec (around indian reserve)water is still not to be drank because of bpc oil burial.there was so much of it they didnt know how to get rid of it

So you have no labeling at all for what type of oil it is?
It could be anything, hydraulic oil, gear oil, or contain pcb's...
Maybe send a sample to a real lab if you are dead set on using it, but I would think the analysis would cost more than store oil on sale.

I spend $10 to $20/year for all the oil for my 4 cycle OPE. That is what you would be saving. And I am using Amsoil 4-Stroke oil, one of the best for small engines.

Sell it to a place with a used oil heater.

As others have mentioned, I'd be very wary that it might contain PCBs. A lot of that was drained out of transformers as they were retired, and it was SUPPOSED to be disposed of properly. However it wouldn't surprise me at all if "some" people incorrectly assumed that since governments were banning it, it was about to become valuable.

Or it might just be turbine oil. :)

Hmm... can anyone decipher the abbreviations "bpc" and "pcbs" and some of the other lingo above...?

Okay, I did some research on Polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB). Now I'm all freaked out that I have some toxic waste on my hands! Good grief people!

But given the fact that it was banned in 1979, and that was 35 years ago, I'm confident that this barrel of oil did not contain any PCB. And according to wiki, the half life of PCB is 8-15 years anyway... so a 35+ year old sample would be degraded significantly, no? So, that would mean that any 35 year old sample would be degraded to at minimum 25% and even down to around 10%. Bottom line though, I highly doubt this is a sample from 35+ years ago.

This has raised some issues though, and I'm going to track down the original owner and ask a few questions.

Try to find out what the application was.

I suspect it is a heavily laden phosphorus (TCP) oil used in aircraft hydraulics.

The only thing about steel barrels sitting outside, is condensation, any open space inside the barrel, condensation likely took place, which means there would be water in it. if it was totally full less likely.

Only way to tell is get the UOA. IMO the acetone might throw them a curve.

For 40 gallons, it is worth finding out....toxic on one end of the bell curve, synthetic 0w40 motor oil on the other.

Contacting the suspected manufacturing company did little good.

Perhaps I'll mail in a sample.

Either way, looks like this stuff is destined for exactly what my initial plan was; using it for the oil can for around the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back