New Mobil1-403A Diesel Filter

I was shopping around for filters the other day at Walmart, decided to compare Oil Filters for the Cummins 6 Cylinder Diesel engine

In older forums some people were skeptical about how small the oil ports were on the old Mobil filter, they assumed it would restrict oil flow but other reported no pressure problems

I believe Mobil listened and expanded the ports
What do you guys think?

Left (Old Mobil 403)
Middle (New Mobil 403)
Right (Cummins MO-285)
20210906_185532.jpg

Last edited:
Left filter: Champ Labs baseplate (those are the typical holes for that brand of filter, no, they are not restrictive)
Middle: Purolator baseplate
Right: Fleetguard baseplate

All the OEM's produce somewhat different baseplate offerings. Considering the surface area of the holes combined, compared to the centre tube, they are not restrictive.

As always ... calculate the total hole area in the base plate and compare it to the area of the oil hole on the filter mount. If the base hole area is the same or more (which I bet it is), then no problems. Besides, a PD oil pump is at work in engine oiling systems.

As always ... calculate the total hole area in the base plate and compare it to the area of the oil hole on the filter mount. If the base hole area is the same or more (which I bet it is), then no problems. Besides, a PD oil pump is at work in engine oiling systems.
This post reminds me of story I heard growing up...Two men in a boat Pete and Repeat, Pete fell out, who was left? ;)

I probably should said at the end of previous post......'and thus none of them are restrictive.'

I was shopping around for filters the other day at Walmart, decided to compare Oil Filters for the Cummins 6 Cylinder Diesel engine

In older forums some people were skeptical about how small the oil ports were on the old Mobil filter, they assumed it would restrict oil flow but other reported no pressure problems

I believe Mobil listened and expanded the ports
What do you guys think?

Left (Old Mobil 403)
Middle (New Mobil 403)
Right (Cummins MO-285)View attachment 70323
my mobile 1-403 looks more like the fleetguard

I use the brand on the right just a different number. LF 16035.
I used to use them, but bought like 3 in a row that never had the metal shavings cleaned up on the threads, so I had to buy a filter that wasnt ordered off the internet so I could inspect it myself. I'm not really sure what the deal was with that because I never saw it in any other brand of oil filter. I wonder if their tooling got dull and I just kept buying the same bad batch.

Left filter: Champ Labs baseplate (those are the typical holes for that brand of filter, no, they are not restrictive)
Middle: Purolator baseplate
Right: Fleetguard baseplate

All the OEM's produce somewhat different baseplate offerings. Considering the surface area of the holes combined, compared to the centre tube, they are not restrictive.
Just eye balling it. I don't think those 6 holes on the base plate quite add up to be the diameter of that center threaded hole. Has anyone measured?

Just eye balling it. I don't think those 6 holes on the base plate quite add up to be the diameter of that center threaded hole. Has anyone measured?
The hole the oil flows through in the the threaded filter mount stud is smaller than the threaded hole in the base plate of the filter. Even a base plate that looks to have smaller or less holes doesn't add much dP to the total dP across the filter. The effect on the PD oil pump is minimal.

Back