NEW Mobil 1 PDS for EP Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Extended_Performance.asp

cheers.gif
HT/HS hasn't gone up much and I'm not surprised. XOM is working on making these oils meet the GF-4 spec so I don't think we will see a 30wt A3 rated oil in North America. Europe's new Mobil 1 5w-30 does however.
smile.gif

Look at the 15w-50 though, HT/HS used to be 5.2. It's down to 4.4!
shocked.gif

They have changed their formulation approach it seems. The Mobil 1 MC oils have flash points of 560F and extremely high HT/HS. Interesting....anyone know why?

[ April 17, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Sulphated ash #'s are definitely up. 10-40 and 15-50 are making SM and 30 wts. aren't yet (Starburst thing). Thanks.

The 10W-30 is still looking good and I believe their HT/HS # is conservative.

[ April 17, 2005, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

M1 EP 15W-50 HTHS at 4.4 is a disaster.
Trying to compromise, and since the 10W-40 isn't out yet, I had mixed the 5W-30 and 15W-50. Now, I'll be reconsidering.

quote:

The 10W-30 is still looking good and I believe their HT/HS # is conservative

I agree, Mobil tends to be conservative with their numbers based on comparitive testing.

I don't think the HTHS discrepancy between the new 15w-50 EP and older 15w-50 is a "disaster" or "more conservative"; I think it's a misprint. The EP has very similar 40C and 100C viscosities, and nearly identical VI, so it will have a nearly identical HTHS compared to the regular 15w-50.

I think either the new spec or the old spec was incorrect. For all the time it takes Mobil1 to post this info, they sure have trouble getting the numbers right.

I believe that I like the 10W30 the best of any of these products. I like the slightly higher HT/HS, but what about the higher sulfated ash numbers? Do these concern anyone? They seem higher than other oils.

The new Virgin sample done by Butler Labs has the new Mobil 1 GF-4 5w-30 at 12cSt.
freak2.gif

The 10w30 is listed as having a lower pour point than the 5w30. 5w30 also has a higher flashpoint.
Dosent make to much sense to me.

The high temp,high shear test results AREN'T open to interpretation - they are what they are and the test is quite precise and accurate. Give the kinematic viscosities @ 100C, the HT/HS results @ 150C look almost exactly what I'd expect.

However, I fail to see how the addition of 50% more Supersyn has helped these formulation in terms of high temp viscometrics. Perhaps one of the EOM engineers who lurk from time to time can enlighten me? This looks just like the GF-4 basestock, but with higher additive levels. I don't see a lot of extra $$$ going into these base stock blends; compared to the GF-4 stuff.

As for that 15w-50, the Amsoil 10w-40 has a HT/HS of 4.3 Cp and their 5w-40 comes in @ 4.2 Cp - the RL 5w-40 comes in @ 4.7 Cp, as I recall. You should consider the 15w-50 to functionally be an SAE 15w-40 for all practical purposes. I believe the Mobil 1, 10w-40 MC oil will offer better high temp protection than this 15w-50 ....

The reason why the 15w-50 was formulated so thin is to improve fuel efficiency and high rpm performance in newer European engines like the VW/Audi 1.8L turbos. I'd actually recommend this 15w-50 over the M1, 0w-40 for new European engines if low valve train wear and oil consumption are your primary concerns. The "hit" in fuel efficiency and high end performance won't be like it was before.

Of course for a Harley I'd now recommend the Mobil 1, 20w-50 MC oil....

Dosent mean that there arent errors on the page.
Ill interprete what I want to interprete.

quote:

Of course for a Harley I'd now recommend the Mobil 1, 20w-50 MC oil....

Mobil makes a kick @ss MC oil if specs mean anything. It's also $7.99 qt at AutoZone. Ted, this is the direction the industry is going as you well know and Amsoil will soon have to comply.

Mobil 1 is the only Fully Synthetic on the market that now has a 15w-50 and 10w-40 SM rated oil. Times are changing.....for better or worse I don't know.

If you don't like the direction the industry is going, thats fine but Mobil is ahead of the game IMO.

BTW, how was this link found? Their is nothing on Mobil's Webpage for specs.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
BTW, how was this link found? Their is nothing on Mobil's Webpage for specs.
dunno.gif

1) Go to http://www.mobil.com

2) Click on "Products and Services"

3) In the center "Business" column, click on the "Looking for a Product Data Sheet? Click here." link.

4) Select US and search for "Mobil 1 Extended Performance". The first hit is the link posted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back