New Mobil-1 "Multi-Vehicle" ATF formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that Mobil can't leave a good thing alone. They changed their Mobil-1 ATF to a new Multi-Vehicle Formula. It has a distinctly different odor than either the previous formula, or the Mercedes ATF. What I don't like is the wording on the bottle - check out this text from the M-1 ATF "MVF" data sheet:

First, it says:
"Recommended by ExxonMobil for use in 2005 and earlier GM vehicles."

OK, that sounds fine for MB (Dexron) use. But the next sentence says:
"Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF is recommended for ... improved performance in 2005 and earlier GM vehicles."

So let me get this straight. It's The new M-1 ATF is "recommended" for pre-2005 GM vehicles (i.e., Dexron applications). But for "improved" performance in those same vehicles, we should use their NON-synthetic Dexron-VI fluid? What gives? Also, the new bottle mentions "Mercon" frequently, but says little about Dexron.

I managed to scrape up 7 quarts of the old M-1 ATF, and 1 quart of MB fluid, to use in my E500 tranny last night. I really don't like the acrid smell of the new stuff, along with the conflicting statements on the new bottle. Does anyone have more info on this new M-1 "MVF" ATF, or opinions in general...? BTW - the new stuff is also CHEAPER. Wal-Mart has it for $5.67/qt, where the previous M-1 ATF was closer to $7/qt.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Tests have shown that anything less than 70% synthetic oil can't pass the Dexron VI shear requirements.

You could buy Valvoline Dexron VI, it is 100% syn.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the new smell. Chrysler ATF+4 stinks like ATF+3 never did, yet it works better. The smell probably is derived from a better formulation.

I have not smelled a ATF that I liked yet.....
They did go to the FORD Mercon V specification, and FORD has discontinued the licensing of the Mercon specification, and issued a TSB telling people to use Mercon V where Mercon was specified.
This is most likely why you find Mercon / Mercon V so emphasized on the lable.....as that was the change that was made.

For some reason, Mobil was slow to come out with the improved FORD Mercon V fluid specification, until they had to.
Their website listed a Mobil 1 Mercon V fluid.....but I was never able to locate it, even online.

It would seem that they are also slow with the GM Dexron IV line of specification.
Unless, for some reason the Dexron IV and Mercon V specifications cannot be accomplished with the same fluid.

For your Mercedes, I would check and see if MERCEDES has issued any TSB's for your vehicle on ATF, that update what is in the owner's manual.

Mobil 1 ATF was never recommended for the JWS 3309 spec (T-IV). Amsoil on the other hand, is, and I use it with excellent results.

Quote:

Quote:

Look how good the Brookfield viscosity is though..It's much better than even Amsoil.

VI=199 for the Mobil 1 = VII which will shear, which Amsoil does not have.

Amsoil doesn't us any VII's? I was checking in my Noria material for a VI range for PAO's and it didn't have any. It did for some of the Esters (most had a range of 130-190).

offtopic.gif
So what's a 'nomal' range for a PAO? I assume this kind of info would give an indication of how much an oil relies on VII's to achieve the viscosity ranges it's set out to meet.

Any ideas?
dunno.gif

I notice that Amsoil ATF has VII (172)... The ATD does not. Here's a line from the web site.

"AMSOIL Torque-Drive™ does not contain VI improvers, which means no VI improver shear down regardless of the operating environment. The unmatched film strength of AMSOIL Torque-Drive™ prevents wear, significantly increasing the transmission service life."

That's cool that it doesn't use any. I just started to think about when a VI was given and it was assumed VII's were used; so that raised the question of what range Group IV can typically have.

Thanks again for the info.

VI=199. How do we know they are not using the new high vis pao's they make? VII's are not always a bad think. JGR oil contains a small amount of them. They found using a small amount was beneficial.

Quote:

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF combines high-performance synthetic hydrocarbon base oils and a superior balanced additive system to provide significantly higher levels of performance above conventional fluids. This unique, advanced technology has demonstrated long drain capability, excellent friction retention, and low-temperature capability. Further, it helps to improve overall transmission durability and cleanliness.

Sounds like good stuff to me.

Here's some photos of the new and old bottles... note that the new formula is not Dexron approved any longer, and they instead recommend you use Mobil Dexron-VI (non-syn) fluid rather than Mobil-1:

M-1_ATF_old_front.jpg

M-1_ATF_old_rear.jpg

M-1_ATF_new_front.jpg

M-1_ATF_new_rear.jpg

Quote:

Tests have shown that anything less than 70% synthetic oil can't pass the Dexron VI shear requirements.

You could buy Valvoline Dexron VI, it is 100% syn.

Interesting. I wonder if the 70%/shear issue is why the new Mobil-1 can't pass current Dexron VI specs? That wouldn't make sense, though.

I thought the Valvoline was a cheaper Group III syn, not a group IV/V base stock...? I'm not familiar with the Valvoline products so I'm not sure about that.

coffee.gif

Quote:

Here's some photos of the new and old bottles... note that the new formula is not Dexron approved any longer, and they instead recommend you use Mobil Dexron-VI (non-syn) fluid rather than Mobil-1:

The pic says fully syn though.
hide.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back