New Mobil 1 ESP - "Best OEM approved Lubricant"

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English/LCW/Files/Home_left_2.pdf

http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English/LCW/Files/Home_left_1.pdf

Product Data Sheet

http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_ESP_Formula_5W-30.asp

HT/HS 3.58
Viscosit @100C 12.1

Flash Point - 489.2F !
shocked.gif

[ May 09, 2005, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Moderator, could you move this to the GC forums? M1 ESP looks like it could be the GC killah!

Run away, little elves, run away!

(let the comparisons and competition begin!)

I expect it will be like the Pennzoil and Valvoline Euro formulas.......not sold in the USA and unavailable.
mad.gif
I'm sure it's great. I just don't expect to see it. Hope I'm wrong.

Those numbers look impressive. HTHS viscosity of 3.58? That sure is different than the M1 5W30 or even the new M1 EP 5W30. The viscosities at 40C and 100C are higher of course.

I wonder how this product is formulated differently than the US versions?

It will probably be very expensive like $18 per liter like the 506.01 VW oils. These oil havve a 30k mi two year OCI. Dan

I don't think this oil will hit North America. Different market. It is SM rated though. Won't meet the GF-4 fuel spec probably which is why it's a thick 30wt oil. A BITOG Corvette lover's dream.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
I expect it will be like the Pennzoil and Valvoline Euro formulas.......not sold in the USA and unavailable.
mad.gif
I'm sure it's great. I just don't expect to see it. Hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunate but apparently true. It reallyu hurts to see that mobil 1 can be made better but they choose not to in our market.

quote:

It reallyu hurts to see that mobil 1 can be made better but they choose not to

We can thank the EPA for that.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

....psst...hey....pssst...over here....can't let the Elves see or hear me....pass this on to Patman..."Pat, if you can find this stuff in the North Country, you owe it to the rest of us to try it in your Vette; may not actually turn out to give GC a run for its money, but it would be nice to know." Sorry, they are coming
shocked.gif
, gotta go
burnout.gif

You
quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

quote:

....psst...hey....pssst...over here....can't let the Elves see or hear me....pass this on to Patman..."Pat, if you can find this stuff in the North Country, you owe it to the rest of us to try it in your Vette; may not actually turn out to give GC a run for its money, but it would be nice to know." Sorry, they are coming
shocked.gif
, gotta go
burnout.gif

lol.gif
You better sleep with one eye open tonight.

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:
You
quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

quote:

shocked.gif
, gotta go
burnout.gif

lol.gif
You better sleep with one eye open tonight.

Don't I know it!
shocked.gif

Just to try and stay on their good side...I did find this:

MB sheet 229.31 approved oils; LA "low ash" Oils
This is a new spec pioneered by Mercedes for passenger cars with diesel engines with EURO 4 soot particle filters, e.g. W211 E200 CDI, E220 CDI. The spec was introduced 7/2003. They are called LA "low ash" oils, low on sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulphur to limit particle filter pollution. Oils high in e.g. ZDDP additive can not qualify. In 2005 the ACEA C3 spec was introduced.

Aral Tronic 229.31 5W-30
BP Visco 5000 MB 5W-30
Castrol FORMULA SLX Turbo Diesel 0W-30
Castrol TXT Softec MB 5W-30

Fuchs Titan GT 1 5W-30 (zinc free)
Mobil SHC Formula LA 5W-30
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 (from 3/2005)
Shell Helix Ultra AE 5W-30
Aral SuperTronic 0W-40 (ACEA C3)
Aral SuperTronic Diesel 0W-40 (ACEA C3)
Castrol GTD Magnatec 5W-40
Fuchs Titan GT 1 10W-40 (developed for OM 642)
Liqui Moly TOP TEC 4100 5W-40
Motul SAE 5W-40 Vollsynthetisch

[ May 09, 2005, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Would this technology be something that we would see in NA? It is SM rated. However, this oil is too thick for the American market. I know it's ridiculous, but as we know, it's all about MPG right now. I wonder if they have technology that would allow you to have a thicker oil, but yet still exceed the fuel efficiency requirements?

[ May 21, 2005, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Yeah, the ESP probably doens't have to meet the stringent fuel efficiency spec. which is why it has a HT/HS of 3.6 and is 12.1 cSt.

M1 10W-30 is probably about the limit for shear stability "and" being able to get the API Starburst. It's one of the few that can still maintain 30wt. status and still get the Starburst. Viscosity is the enemy of the Starburst.
itschy.gif

We all know that M1 0W-40 and Castrol products are designed to thin to get the rating. I was talking about "shear" stable product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back