"New" Mobil 1 5w-20 Extended Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question:
Will a Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20 be Marketed?
I have been using Mobil 1 oils in my cars for more years than I can remember. My last two Hondas specify 5W-20 motor oil, however only Mobil 1 0W-20 was available for my 2003 and I used it without any problems. Now I use Mobil 1 5W-20. However, I note that Mobil 1 5W-20 is not available in "Extended Performance;" do you intend to make it in the near future?
-- Lawrence Harris, Warren, MI

Answer:
Given the growth in popularity of the 5W-20 viscosity, the addition of 5W-20 to the Mobil 1 Extended Performance line will occur in 2007. Look for this new product in leading auto parts stores and mass merchandisers nationwide.

Excellent.

Unfortunately, this won't help Ron achieve 15,000 mile OCIs since he'll only buy Group III oil from Petro-Canada.
laugh.gif

I'll give it a shot in my Civic. I already am going 10k on the regular stuff. Perhaps I could be a guinea pig next year and do a UOA on it after like 12k. I can rack that up in 6-7 months.

Quote:

Unfortunately, this won't help Ron achieve 15,000 mile OCIs since he'll only buy Group III oil from Petro-Canada.

Worse than that. I have yet to go over 5,000km (3,000 miles) with the standard Mobil 1. Still debating about going to 8,000km. From what I know about oils, I have no interest in going beyond 8,000km. So, yes I will be one of the 98% or so that do not do extended oil changes.

Quote:

Quote:

Worse than that. I have yet to go over 5,000km (3,000 miles) with the standard Mobil 1. Still debating about going to 8,000km. From what I know about oils, I have no interest in going beyond 8,000km. So, yes I will be one of the 98% or so that do not do extended oil changes.

Huh??? Wait a minute now, all that previous stuff you posted about G-III vs other synthetics, and now you're not interested in going beyond 5k miles? Ron, if you're really not interested in taking any oil beyond the ultra-short OCI range, then why have you been so persistent in previous debates about various synthetic oils, all of which would be pointless in short OCI use??? Forgive me, for I know it sounds harsh, but perhaps this newly confered smilie is appropriate:
feedtroll.gif

I have been running regular Mobil 1 for 10,000 mile OCIs for 12 years now. Not a problem, 138,000 miles on one van and 187,000 miles on the current van.

Quote:

Wait a minute now, all that previous stuff you posted about G-III vs other synthetics, and now you're not interested in going beyond 5k miles? Ron, if you're really not interested in taking any oil beyond the ultra-short OCI range, then why have you been so persistent in previous debates about various synthetic oils, all of which would be pointless in short OCI use???

If you check back over all my posts, you will find I have never advocated extended oil change intervals. My response to that question has always been, change it when the manufacturer of your car says to (and read the fine print about standard vs severe service).

To me it is false economy to extend oil changes no matter what the base oil is. My concern for the environment goes as far as using ILSAC GF-4 & API SM oil, to save a bit of gas, but I'm also concerned about my engine life. So I use a synthetic (in my newer vehicles), but change the oil on time. That is the reason for my interest in a high quality oil that stays in spec for the mfg. recommended OCI. No interest in UOA and experimenting with my own personal engines. However, I do find what others do to their engines interesting!

I don't find NA auto mfg recommended OCI's ultra short, and think they are pressing the reasonable limits given GF-4/SM oil. The European mgf's OCI's seem to border on ridiculous. I can actually believe that the sludged up BMW engine photo that keep showing up is for real!

I wonder if Amsoil will have their group IV 5w20 out in 2007 to compete on the growing market for extended drain synthetic oil in this weight. Anyone know anymore on Amsoil's plans on this?

I got 10k OCI with Mobil Clean7500, depending on the driving done and the amount of makeup oil used throughout the OCI. Right now I'm running Mobil 1 10w30 EP and will bring it to at least 10K with no worries.

Car is a 1994 civic, it sees 7500rpm at least once everytime i drive it. Its burning a lot less oil with the 10w30 EP versus the clean7500 5w30 i had in before.

I assume you mean Amsoil 0W-20, because the Amsoil 5W-20 is going quite well thanks.

pb11 did specify Group IV, but as far as I know it will be a 0W-20. I'm not sure of the timing but testing takes awhile. I have not seen or heard any official statement.

FWIW - I will stack up Amsoil's 5W-20 XLM with M1 5W-20 of any flavor any day of the week. Let's see this EP perform!
smile.gif

What Canadian engineers know about oil can apparently fit on the head of a pin - with room left to Square Dance...;)

I think that Amsoil is waiting for GM to switch over to 5w-20 before offering a 25,000 mile, 0w-20. It would be very easy to make one using the basestock blend from their Series 2000 product and reducing the polymer content.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back