New Mobil 1 0w40 Super Car

A while back Mobil recommended 0W-40 ESP for ANY Corvette V8. The new oil isn’t recommended for any Vette but the newest or “high performance“ engines.

”Mobil 1 5W-30 oil is still recommended for many generations of Corvette, but in any seventh-generation* Corvette where a dexos®-approved motor oil is required, we’re now recommending Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40 motor oil. *Note that the C7 ZR-1 uses Mobil 1 15W-50 oil on the track.”

Last edited:
Here are the numbers.

The old dexos2 version:

VII content = 7.2%
HTHS = 3.76 cP
HTFS (base-oil viscosity) = 2.50 cP

The new dexosR version:

VII content = 9.2%
HTHS = 3.53 cP
HTFS (base-oil viscosity) = 2.20 cP

So, they have really watered down this oil, making it worse in wear protection than a good ILSAC 5W-30.

Estimated base-oil viscosity (HTFS) and VII content of selected

Corvettes used to use 5W-30. I see that Mobil 1 made this water-downed 0W-40 dexosR with a lot of VII and a thin base oil so that it would run more like a 5W-30 than a 0W-40. Mobil 1, unfortunately, tends to be a big believer in fuel economy, a thin base oil, and a high VII content, and they often put wear protection in the back seat.
It does seem that way. Kind of disappointing. Would be great to see their internal testing numbers for various tests like the IIIH etc.

AFE 0w30 is one of the most shear happy oils I've ever seen. I do not like that oil.

Used to be the best, now it's awful. I get the impression Mobil just doesn't care much anymore about the marketing end. Ever since the pandemic and maybe even before that, things seem to have changed. Maybe it's all the talk of EVs LOL.

I sent a request to their technical team through their website the other day asking for HTHS and VI numbers on their ESP oils. Received a reply the next day saying they don't have that information. It was from a third party contractor located in India.

Used to be the best, now it's awful. I get the impression Mobil just doesn't care much anymore about the marketing end. Ever since the pandemic and maybe even before that, things seem to have changed. Maybe it's all the talk of EVs LOL.
Their website has always been awful. It's a large corporation, and someone hasn't been fired in their IT department. The person responsible for their website needs to badly rethink their priorities. Maybe a couple of complaints to the higher-ups might help the process. I don't know. Neglect has always been the hallmark of laziness and ineptitude. Job security is where it's at.

It never made sense to me why Mobil makes a 0w50, 0w40 and 0w30 for racing. All are not very shear stable. XOM obviously knows this, so is this a strategy to gain some hp?

Their website has always been awful. It's a large corporation, and someone hasn't been fired in their IT department. The person responsible for their website needs to badly rethink their priorities. Maybe a couple of complaints to the higher-ups might help the process. I don't know. Neglect has always been the hallmark of laziness and ineptitude. Job security is where it's at.
I thought their website was one of the best a few years ago. It's declined over the last few years though.

It never made sense to me why Mobil makes a 0w50, 0w40 and 0w30 for racing. All are not very shear stable. XOM obviously knows this, so is this a strategy to gain some hp?
I could be wrong here, and correct me if I am... But it seems like those M1 oils shear some initially, but then stay there at that same level for the long haul. Instead of just continuously shearing to the point of failure, for example. Hope this makes sense. But that trait makes me think that initial shear is intentional, for whatever reason.

I thought their website was one of the best a few years ago. It's declined over the last few years though.
They're using a corporate CMS called Sitecore. It's pretty idiot-proof, so there is no excuse other than lack of interest and laziness (or both) to not update it constantly with accurate and complete information about their products.

But it seems like those M1 oils shear some initially, but then stay there at that same level for the long haul.
Modern API wizardry to combat oxidative thickening. Or you can get the same result by using thin base oils and weak polymers.

I would pass on the HPL PCMO Euro 0W-20 and HPL Super Car 5W-50, but the rest are mostly good.

However, I would pass on the HPL Super Car 0W-40 as well in favor of the HPL Super Car 5W-40 or HPL PCMO Euro 5W-40—the former has the same VII content as the watered-down M1 ESP 0W-40 dexosR and only a slightly higher HTFS. Their 5W-40 grades are strong, almost as strong as the strongest 5W-40 HDEOs such as Chevron Delo 400 XSP 5W-40 and far stronger than weak 5W-40 HDEOs such as Shell Rotella 5W-40.

Estimated base-oil viscosity (HTFS) and VII content of selected oils

Last edited:

It has definitely gone downhill. For example, go to the initial page where it asks you to choose your region. That fine because the drop down menus let you select USA-English-Motor Oils. You expect to go to the oil page but no, you end up in another dimension. It takes multiple steps and pages to get to what you wanted.

I would pass on the HPL PCMO Euro 0W-20 and HPL Super Car 5W-50, but the rest are mostly good.

However, I would pass on the HPL Super Car 0W-40 as well in favor of the HPL Super Car 5W-40 or HPL PCMO Euro 5W-40—the former has the same VII content as the watered-down M1 ESP 0W-40 dexosR and only a slightly higher HTFS. Their 5W-40 grades are strong, almost as strong as the strongest 5W-40 HDEOs such as Chevron Delo 400 XSP 5W-40 and far stronger than weak 5W-40 HDEOs such as Shell Rotella 5W-40.

So you happen to know the VII content is esp x3 0w40?

I would think it would be prudent to consider that an oils performance is not solely determined by VII percentage. It is the sum of all components. We are not in the business of blending with cheap materials. Also looking at UOA's you won't see a trend of our oils shearing. What it does in service my daily responsibility. What an oil does is ultimately its most important attribute. The inclusion of low VI AN's will force you to make it up in another way. The stability the AN brings will offset the higher concentration of VII which is ok if you use a good one.

Last edited:
I would think it would be prudent to consider that an oils performance is not solely determined by VII percentage. It is the sum of all components. We are not in the business of blending with cheap materials. Also looking at UOA's you won't see a trend of our oils shearing. What it does in service my daily responsibility. What an oil does is ultimately its most important attribute. The inclusion of low VI AN's will force you to make it up in another way. The stability the AN brings will offset the higher concentration of VII which is ok if you use a good one.
But in comparison to your regular PCMO 0W-20 and HDEO 0W-20, your Euro 0W-20 has a lot more VII and a thinner base oil. While permanent shear can be alleviated using a high-SSI VI, temporary shear is always there, increasing wear when you have a thin base oil. Moreover, high-SSI star VIs result in increased turbocharger deposits in relatively longer OCIs in comparison to the more commonly used mid-SSI OCP VIs. See Figure 2 in the post linked below. So, there is a lot of compromise there.

Once again it is the total package. We win championships in NHRA Pro Stock with very thin oils in very high horsepower applications. Relative to the oils we replaced there is a dramatic reduction in wear in again, real world examination of actual parts in service. While you are technically correct the additive approach with our oils is not the typical me too approach. Additive selection can and does greatly influence the end result. I am not disagreeing with you however you must consider the fact that a balanced properly formulated product can yield better results. Applying a filter to us based on the performance of standard products is not a good fit. We do not have an increased wear problem with light oils.

Back