new Mirage

I'm just curious why there's such a fascination with this car. I have zero Mitsubishi hate because I owned a '97 Mirage ( when it was a Japanese-built compact ) that was probably the best car I ever owned, especially in terms of overall reliability...I would know because I've been advised by more than one person that the more proprietary Mitsu parts network will rape you.

That being said, I would spend very little time looking at the current Mirage if I could get something like the new Rio for 8-9% more ( according to market avg. pricing in my area ). The Rio is a far superior vehicle on several fronts and unless the Mirage can be had for 10K, I just don't understand the fascination. Well, unless it's the loss leader, cheapest car sold argument...even then, I'm showing an average market price of 12.7K for the Mirage in my area. Not considerably cheaper than others in the segment and there doesn't seem to be much deep discounting.

If you're fascinated by the Mirage, I don't understand why you wouldn't be fascinated by the Chevy Spark...which is another 'better' vehicle. If a car that was voted "The Worst New Car Sold" is Mitsubishi's savior, then my guess is that the fork might already be halfway in Mitsu unless there are enough locales where they can be had for 10K.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Not sure what you mean by almost as cheap or more substantial.

In Canada for models with AC and manual transmission a lot of subcompacts cost about 15% more than a Mirage and you get a lot more car.

Okay, that makes sense.
Here, anything wearing a Mitsubishi badge sells at a deep discount and you can't touch anything new that's better than a Mirage for a mere 15% premium.
I'm a little surprised that Mitsu is even bothering to play in this market these days.

It could be the car that saves Mitsubishi like the K-car did for Chrysler.

Well, it's been around for some years now and hasn't saved them yet.
Nothing that a little four to five buck gasoline wouldn't fix.

When I think of Mitsubishi I think about the 3000GT,Eclipse,Starion,etc. That made some crazy awesome cars in the 80s and 90s!! Where did they go wrong?

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I'm just curious why there's such a fascination with this car. I have zero Mitsubishi hate because I owned a '97 Mirage ( when it was a Japanese-built compact ) that was probably the best car I ever owned, especially in terms of overall reliability...I would know because I've been advised by more than one person that the more proprietary Mitsu parts network will rape you.

That being said, I would spend very little time looking at the current Mirage if I could get something like the new Rio for 8-9% more ( according to market avg. pricing in my area ). The Rio is a far superior vehicle on several fronts and unless the Mirage can be had for 10K, I just don't understand the fascination. Well, unless it's the loss leader, cheapest car sold argument...even then, I'm showing an average market price of 12.7K for the Mirage in my area. Not considerably cheaper than others in the segment and there doesn't seem to be much deep discounting.

If you're fascinated by the Mirage, I don't understand why you wouldn't be fascinated by the Chevy Spark...which is another 'better' vehicle. If a car that was voted "The Worst New Car Sold" is Mitsubishi's savior, then my guess is that the fork might already be halfway in Mitsu unless there are enough locales where they can be had for 10K.

I cross shopped both Mirage and Spark before life changed and I needed something bigger. The Spark (previous US generation) was too busy on the inside and didn't get as great of mileage as the Mirage did. The current generation Spark is much better interior wise.

I would consider either at this point.

Also , Mirages are everywhere here. Local dealers are leasing them for next to nothing. I was very dead set on getting one as my next vehicle (used) but couldn't really fit it in. Who knows what'll happen in a few years. Maybe I'll be in a situation where I need a small, automatic car.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky

I haven't driven any of the little cars lately, but I know a "car guy" that needed a cheap commuter that ended up with a 5 speed Mirage, and another guy actually modded one up for autocross and time attack. I think that they are 500lbs lighter than something like an Accent does make them interesting to drive atleast, even on the skinny tires. I still remember having a ball left foot braking and drifting my mom's 90hp 2000lb 1985 Corolla on the backroads, maybe the Mirage has a similar feel when really pushed?

Mitsubishi's in general are very reliable vehicles, and have a good rep in that area, so the Mirage should be no different.

Mitsubishi-made econo cars have been around for a long time, and are remembered fondly by may - Dodge Colt, anyone? Twin-stick?

That is where a lot of the 'interest' comes from, IMO.

The Mirage is always sitting 2nd or 3rd in it's sales sector in NZ. The Chev Spark is just a Suzuki...maybe it wouldn't sell so well badged with it's real manufacturer.

Looks like the G4 and Mirage are the only cars they make for the U.S. So only five models total, two cars and three cross-overs. Their credit subsidiary gives out loans to pretty much anyone. So getting financing with them is super easy. Which helps them move cars. Same thing with Nissan credit services. BMW is also like this for their employees. This also includes dealership employees that have been there at least a year. Corporate employees are eligible right away and includes a generous discount on leases.

They want all BMWs in their corporate parking lots. If non-BMWs park there you'll keep getting flyers on your windshield about the great offers available.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Mitsubishi-made econo cars have been around for a long time, and are remembered fondly by may - Dodge Colt, anyone? Twin-stick?

That is where a lot of the 'interest' comes from, IMO.

Right? They fit right in as normal for the time period too. Friends of mine had mid 1980s models back in the late 1980s and around 1991, I had bought a used 1989 Colt 2dr, 4spd manual. I think I paid $4-5000 for it @ 2yrs old with 20K miles on it.

This new Mirage would seem like a spaceship in comparison. I like to see the availability of these econoboxes. I hope Mitsu can keep making a go of it in the States.

Last edited:
The fascination with this car is similar with other econoboxen.

A certain level of auto buyer can't understand why anyone would buy one, and they are further dumbfounded when the owners are happy and don't find a million faults owning one.

This one is of particular interest because of its super low price and high economy.

Last edited:
I think this is the first vehicle I've owned that has rollers incorporated into the cam lobes. It gives a whole new meaning to the term "roller cam". LOL.
lol.gif

Not my images but I can't link them from the source as they were forum attachments...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Huh, would not have thought of that. It seems to be holding up in usage?

I'm guessing that this is less parts than some sort of follower that incorporates a roller, hence its usage.

The Mirage gets the highest non-hybrid fuel economy in the market, it's also the best selling car in its segment.

In the US there is demand for Geo metro type of cars that is really not being filled by anyone else.

The Mirage is safe, lightweight, manual, simple to work on and many times heavily discounted.

It's much cheaper to own a brand new Mirage than many used cars.

Just turned 90,000 miles. Total repairs: one front brake job around 50K, one windshield about six months ago. Figuring on a clutch and another brake job (probably all around) soon.

Nice! Sounds like it has been good basic transportation.

One brake job is pretty good. The dealer I work at used to have Mitsubishi, and we had one Mirage owner who burned through front pads like crazy. She was very overweight, as was her daughter, and I think she probably rested her foot on the pedal. Anyway, my boss was at the point of just giving her a set of brake pads when she came in to get her out of there, and on one of those visits she brought her teenage son. She said "I don't know why this car goes through brakes like this" and without missing a beat her son said "well it's carrying about a thousand pounds all the time". She swung around and yelled "BOY, IT AIN'T CARRYING A THOUSAND POUNDS!" It was hard to keep a straight face after that.

Back