new Mirage

Sure, but it's usually dimwits in much smaller vehicles who are clueless about merging.

I miss that bit--when I drove my Jetta I tended to stay in the left lane a lot. Merging idiots were rarely a problem. With a slow vehicle I see it much more now.

3000 mile update: he really likes it. The interior (with seats down) is huge, easily swallowing even a large display or a bunch of stuff. Engine is broken in, oil changed (dealer, gratis) for Chrysler-branded 5W-20 (synthetic blend, IIRC)...mileage is mid-40's, low of 38 (a bunch of putting around Boston & idling to run A/C) and a high of 47 (long highway run...might have been better if he hadn't discovered the car has an 80MPH sweet spot). Overall is ~44, I recall.

Now, the bad. It's a bit loud on the highway, which he expected. Hatch is a head-knocker for tall people. (He's only 5'4", but his boss is 6'3".) Stereo works well enough, but is more work than it should be to figure out and the bass is marginal. (He is by no means a technophobe.) His single biggest complaint is the OE tires...they're loud, they hydroplane too easily, they like to follow highway grooves, and the wet traction sucks rocks. The plan is to use the stock wheels for winter tires, and run something better (probably also a more-common size) on a second set for summer. (He did the same thing with his Jetta...which was amazing on a set of Nokians.)

Originally Posted By: Anduril
Showed this to the wife. She now thinks a Mirage is her perfect next car.
Can she drive a stick? Cause otherwise you're stuck with a CVT...

Yeah...the CVT sucks rocks.It's calibrated for economy and really hobbles the performance. With the 5-speed, it isn';t bad at all. The trick is simple: unsurprisingly for a tiny 3-cylinder engine, it needs to spin. Do not fear the right half of the tach.

Also, if she is really short (5' or under): the Mirage does not offer adjustable pedals or a telescoping column.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

She can shift a motorcycle, so learning stick in a car wouldn't be too hard.

She's 5'4; it's me st 6'1 we'd have to worry about fitting. For whatever reason, though, she's attached to her Cavalier and doesn't want anything else as long as it still works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

For whatever reason, though, she's attached to her Cavalier and doesn't want anything else as long as it still works.

sounds like a keeper!

the car AND the wife
thumbsup2.gif

230k and counting (the car, not the wife!)

It makes perfect sense, though. For a little more than the price of a used Yaris, she gets a brand new car with 100k warranty. At least once a month, she makes a several hundred mile trip delivering chicken feed, so she likes the hatchback, and amazingly someone seems to make a trailer hitch for it, and I'm sure it can pull the tiny motorcycle trailer we use when not everything fits inside (the thing weighs like 160 lbs empty). Probably all while still getting much better MPG than the car or the truck we already own.

Last edited:
15,000 mile update: he likes it. Average so far is 46.3MPG. Repairs: $0. Dealer oil changes so far (they keep sending coupons), with Wix filters. Dealer manager says he has never seen someone wind up miles on a Mirage that fast.
cool.gif

When did he pick it up? 15k so far, so he does drive at a good clip. Sounds like a good deal.

Originally Posted By: supton
When did he pick it up? 15k so far, so he does drive at a good clip. Sounds like a good deal.

Looks like he picked it up in early April '16, so around 10 months.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
15,000 mile update: Repairs: $0. Dealer oil changes so far
Shouldn't repairs be $0 while under warranty anyways
crazy.gif

how many oil changes in 15K? Is he going by a oil-minder? Or does this car not have one?

This car sounds like the modern version of the Geo/Chevy Metro, three banger and all.
A practical minimalist car on which to rack up miles with limited fuel expenditure.
Are there more economical cars?
Yes, for more money.
Are there cheaper new cars?
No.
This is a perfect car for a driver who needs to do a lot of miles and has no pretensions.

Back