new Mirage

I put front and rear parking sensors on amirage this week. I took off the bumpers andpart of the interior. I liked what I saw. Fully painted, even the impact bars that like to corrode away on GM's (on the front, rear hasn't got one) but also the inside.

It's a cheap, light car but besides the soundproofing nothing puts me off one. It's definitely not made to last only until the end of the warranty.

Jarlaxle, do you mean headlight bulb?

I did a warranty job on one last week, replaced all 3 SRS sensors - something about the angle of the wires, but the replacements looked identical to me. Simple job, apart from the stupid locking clip.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I haven't driven one, but I went to a dealer the other week to look at them. Interior quality wasn't that bad, although the trunk carpet didn't fit at all. Wasn't quite sure suitcases would even fit. There's only 2 small A/C vents on the dash, which I doubt would be adequate in our 115 degree heat. The driver's seat was decently roomy for me, I'm a bigger guy and 6'2". The brakes looked like they were 6" rotors and it had tiny drum brakes. I just had a bad feeling about it and walked away, wasn't impressed at all. I'd much rather drive my old Camry. Much more comfortable, roomy, probably more reliable and handles better.

Also, Discount Tire doesn't sell tires for it.
There are 4 vents, and the A/C in the Mirage is the coldest I've had in all the cars I've owned.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Likes it so far. Doesn't match his VW's 52-54MPG, but he's getting about 44 in maybe 50/50 city and highway driving. One thing he likes is it is MUCH easier in tight spaces than his Jetta. It also has 2 things the Jetta lacked: cruise control, and the ability to hold 70 up a long grade.

One minor glitch: a week after he bought it, he lost the right headlight. (Dealer replaced it for nothing.)

Awesome. I've had my 2014 for 2+ years now, and I'm averaging 48mpg with 80/20 city/highway driving (52mpg with 100% gas). Feels far more spacious on the inside than it looks on the outside, and I love the soft, cushy ride.

Originally Posted By: cookiemonster
Likes it so far. Doesn't match his VW's 52-54MPG, but he's getting about 44 in maybe 50/50 city and highway driving. One thing he likes is it is MUCH easier in tight spaces than his Jetta. It also has 2 things the Jetta lacked: cruise control, and the ability to hold 70 up a long grade.

One minor glitch: a week after he bought it, he lost the right headlight. (Dealer replaced it for nothing.)

Awesome. I've had my 2014 for 2+ years now, and I'm averaging 48mpg with 80/20 city/highway driving (52mpg with 100% gas). Feels far more spacious on the inside than it looks on the outside, and I love the soft, cushy ride.

48-52 mpg with PYB 10w-40 in the sump??? Now this is impressive in my opinion... My AWD Vibe gets 25mpg average on any 5w30 or 0w30 or Pennzoil 0w40. Any other Xw40 or Xw50 drops my average to 22mpg... I wonder how good of an MPG you would get on let's say Magnatec 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian

48-52 mpg with PYB 10w-40 in the sump??? Now this is impressive in my opinion... My AWD Vibe gets 25mpg average on any 5w30 or 0w30 or Pennzoil 0w40. Any other Xw40 or Xw50 drops my average to 22mpg... I wonder how good of an MPG you would get on let's say Magnatec 0w20.

10W-40 works well in the desert climate where I am; summers get up to 120F.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I really wanted one of these cars for my commuting. Old style ride, exceptional mpg's....and inexpensive.

Why did you pass it up in the end?

I really wanted one of these cars for my commuting. Old style ride, exceptional mpg's....and inexpensive.

Well, it was a matter of economics and real need.

When I was considering it, I actually wanted to get rid of the Honda Fit for a cheaper Mirage. I am not real satisfied with the Fit. My significant other loves the Fit however. She drives it daily. So...I did not want to get rid of my Ridgeline (all paid off) because of it's awesome utility.

Then I saw the MX5. Game over. I don't drive it to work much as it's mainly a weekend fun car. So I drive my Ridgeline. I still wish I had the Mirage though for commuting, but it makes zero sense at this point.

Last edited:

Well, it was a matter of economics and real need.

When I was considering it, I actually wanted to get rid of the Honda Fit for a cheaper Mirage. I am not real satisfied with the Fit. My significant other loves the Fit however. She drives it daily. So...I did not want to get rid of my Ridgeline (all paid off) because of it's awesome utility.

Then I saw the MX5. Game over. I don't drive it to work much as it's mainly a weekend fun car. So I drive my Ridgeline. I still wish I had the Mirage though for commuting, but it makes zero sense at this point.

Believe it or not, my Mirage is both my commuter and my fun car. I love pushing a "slow" car fast.

I went on YouTube and watched some 0-60 videos on the Mirage. 15 seconds!
crazy2.gif

That's kind of dangerous, you could get run over!

crazy2.gif

I don't know, most folks get about 11.5 to 13 seconds. Still slow for a modern car, but around here the idiots on the on-ramps often merge at 45mph anyway.

Early '80's Civics were almost as slow with 4 cylinders. The Chevy Spark is almost the same as well.

Last edited:
crazy2.gif

I don't know, most folks get about 11.5 to 13 seconds. Still slow for a modern car, but around here the idiots on the on-ramps often merge at 45mph anyway.

Early '80's Civics were almost as slow with 4 cylinders. The Chevy Spark is almost the same as well.
Yeah I can't stand when people merge onto a freeway at 45 mph when everyone else is doing 70. And then they try to cut me off and I keep on going, either speed up or get behind me

crazy2.gif

This looks like a job for NITROUS!!!

news__n-70.jpg

BC.

crazy2.gif

Yeah I can't stand when people merge onto a freeway at 45 mph when everyone else is doing 70. And then they try to cut me off and I keep on going, either speed up or get behind me

Hope you don't end up too dead to regret anything...............

Not really sure what message you're trying to tell Nick.
Care to clarify?

BC.

crazy2.gif

I'm not talking about hitting anybody or putting anyone in danger. I'm saying they can wait until I pass to get behind me, or smash down on the throttle and get in front of me.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Not really sure what message you're trying to tell Nick.
Care to clarify?

BC.

Sure: if he has the legal right of way, but does not yield to the 105,000lb dump truck, he might end up dead right.

Back