new Mirage

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
he'll be doing about 20K/year in it and figures on having it about 8 years.

That just sounds like pure torture. If I was going to drive this much, I'd make sure it's something smooth and comfortable. But we all make certain sacrifices in order to achieve our financial goals. I wish him good luck with it.

Mileage and space. Nothing else (with the possible exception of a $25K hybrid SUV) offered both. He loves his Jetta, but it isn't big enough, it is dissolving, and it has almost 300,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Noey
There are better choices out there that offer all you and he apparently believe the Mirage offers..and more. Why you'd want to bring attention to that is beyond me. Actually, why you even posted this bit of personal family nonsense is, too. Do you have a question, or are you just looking for something emotional?

I'm sorry...do you have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to add, or are you just flinging feces?

A used late-model VW with little if any warranty? For 20K/year? Why not just get a used Jaguar for similar reliability?

A used late-model VW with little if any warranty? For 20K/year? Why not just get a used Jaguar for similar reliability?

No.
Brand new Golfs are as low as $16k.
You're getting a much higher end car. Reliability is up in the air, as its a fairly new design. But could be just as good as a Mitsubishi.
Also, if he's in a CA emissions state, the PZEV engine has a nice extended warranty on all kinds of engine parts.

It was a thought, in case he wanted to "treat" himself on his last car before retirement (usually people are at the height of earnings in that stage of life). You're getting a car that drives like a $30k one for half price. For a $8500 Mirage, you're getting a car that drives exactly like what you paid.

Surprisingly, the Mirage gets 4 star safety, but "poor" in the small front overlap. Golf is 5 star rated.

Maybe for s___s and giggles he test drives a Golf this weekend? 20k a year in a penalty box isn't fun.

CR-Cars-II-Brand-Comparison-Chart-10-15.jpg

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/how-car-brands-compare-for-reliability/

I can't bash or praise Mitsubishi, because they're off the chart. Literally. Consumer Reports does not show data on them, due to such limited models and data on them.

VW is not that bad anymore. Just like Hyundai has come a long ways. New cars are great, all around. Its very hard to predict how your exact car will be. You might get lucky, might not. Brand is almost irrelevant now, though, at least for predicted reliability.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
great idea citing consumer reports for a guy who already said he wouldn't even wipe his butt with it.

Yeah, but skyactiv says
"The Mirage is the worst and lowest rated car in Consumers Reports. It's very noisy, vibrates, handles terrible, is slow as molasses and has crummy brakes."

How far off can they [consumer reports] be on that one?

20k a year means hwy. A cheap city car is one thing, but hours and hours on the hwy - that is a penalty box. And I for one, am all for cheaping out on commuter cars. But this is a car site and it seems we're mostly against going that far down the cheap-out drain.

Very. They would not know a good car if it crawled up their nose and did the macarena. I realized 20 years ago they had an agenda and a GIGO problem!

Did CR test a 5-speed Mirage?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: Subdued
great idea citing consumer reports for a guy who already said he wouldn't even wipe his butt with it.

Yeah, but skyactiv says
"The Mirage is the worst and lowest rated car in Consumers Reports. It's very noisy, vibrates, handles terrible, is slow as molasses and has crummy brakes."

How far off can they [consumer reports] be on that one?

20k a year means hwy. A cheap city car is one thing, but hours and hours on the hwy - that is a penalty box. And I for one, am all for cheaping out on commuter cars. But this is a car site and it seems we're mostly against going that far down the cheap-out drain.

Pretty far off if they are comparing it to a higher end car or actual owner reviews.

Even a few other car review sites have better to say than CR.

A brand new Prius C starts off at around $19,600 according to Toyota website, so I would imagine a used one would be $2,000 - $3,000 less than that. It is a hatchback, and gets 45+ MPG.

I would definitely pick a used, good condition, low mileage Prius C over a new Mirage. If I was on the road a lot (20k miles a year is a lot to me) I wouldn't feel comfortable with the tiny Mitsubishi dealership network. If he broke down somewhere, not even a remote area, it could be a really, really far tow to a Mitsubishi dealer.

Just food for thought.

I drove the C, and liked the Mirage better. I didn't test back to back, but I think the Mirage might win at a stoplight. Neither is much of a highway car.

Plus the C didn't feel like a car. Yes it had wheels; but I was overwhelmed by LCD's and buttons. Ironic as I sit in front of 3 monitors, but I found I disliked the C.

Originally Posted By: 3for3
A brand new Prius C starts off at around $19,600 according to Toyota website, so I would imagine a used one would be $2,000 - $3,000 less than that. It is a hatchback, and gets 45+ MPG.

I would definitely pick a used, good condition, low mileage Prius C over a new Mirage. If I was on the road a lot (20k miles a year is a lot to me) I wouldn't feel comfortable with the tiny Mitsubishi dealership network. If he broke down somewhere, not even a remote area, it could be a really, really far tow to a Mitsubishi dealer.

Just food for thought.

Eh, you still bought a Lexus hybrid? That would be fun to get fixed in many states... I'd think almost any mechanic could figure out how to fix the Mirage anyways. Its a KISS car, to get good mileage and be cheap to run, some people like that, some people buy more complicated cars.

Heard you guys talking Jettas hatchbacks and golfs. The Golf Sportwagon is a lot more than a bargain priced Mirage but its worth it imo. I had to grab a full pallet of books for work, it all fit in the wagon:

On the off chance you can even find one (with a standard shift), how much would that cost and what's the warranty?

Just did a search of the lowest priced new cars on autotrader and there were a few new 2015 Nissan Versas for $8000 on there. I did a search parameter of 500 miles distance. I was going to do a nationwide search but thought, nah.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Heard you guys talking Jettas hatchbacks and golfs. The Golf Sportwagon is a lot more than a bargain priced Mirage but its worth it imo. I had to grab a full pallet of books for work, it all fit in the wagon:

It might be the picture, but the suspension looks a bit overloaded to me!

It was pretty squatted down but had some more spring left. I was probably close to or slightly over the legal payload.

On the off chance you can even find one (with a standard shift), how much would that cost and what's the warranty?

Stick Shift base models can be negotiated down to 18 to 19k, warranty is nothing special, just 3/36 and 5 yr 60k power train i believe.

Back