new Mirage

My father in law is finally replacing his Jetta...buying a new (leftover) 2015 Mirage. He should get it this weekend.

Did he pay $7995?
laugh.gif

Will be curious how it works out.

Finally starting to see more of them on the roads.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I dont know if u would call it a leftover...there is no 2016 model right?

There is a 2017 model.

The Mirage is the worst and lowest rated car in Consumers Reports. It's very noisy, vibrates, handles terrible, is slow as molasses and has crummy brakes. The 2017 model will have improves brakes, handing and power. I'd buy a good used Chevy Cruze, Mazda 3 or something else for the same price.

Happy to...right after you show me the 100,000 mile warranty, the hatchback, and the 45MPG!

Consumer Reports is overpriced toilet paper.

What boxes did it check for your father in law to pick that vehicle?

Was it price? Curious what attraction factors are besides price and Mpg?

Is he happy or did he settle?

Price, mileage, warranty, hatchback, standard shift, 40+MPG. The only thing he "settled" on was the color.

I'll be looking forward to a real-world report on this car and how it drives.

If I had the extra cash to spare, I'd buy one just for a commuter and drive the snot out of it.

The Consumer Report reviews are often way off the mark. I've read it...and find that much of the "reports" points are things that I would much care about in the price range of this car.

I haven't driven one, but I went to a dealer the other week to look at them. Interior quality wasn't that bad, although the trunk carpet didn't fit at all. Wasn't quite sure suitcases would even fit. There's only 2 small A/C vents on the dash, which I doubt would be adequate in our 115 degree heat. The driver's seat was decently roomy for me, I'm a bigger guy and 6'2". The brakes looked like they were 6" rotors and it had tiny drum brakes. I just had a bad feeling about it and walked away, wasn't impressed at all. I'd much rather drive my old Camry. Much more comfortable, roomy, probably more reliable and handles better.

Also, Discount Tire doesn't sell tires for it.

Awesome!

I want one of these little bugggers!

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The Mirage is the worst and lowest rated car in Consumers Reports. It's very noisy, vibrates, handles terrible, is slow as molasses and has crummy brakes. The 2017 model will have improves brakes, handing and power. I'd buy a good used Chevy Cruze, Mazda 3 or something else for the same price.

Read the real, buyer written reviews , not the biased towards lexus/acura reviews of Consumer reports.

People that buy the car love it because it gets great mileage , is cheap and just does what it was designed to do.

I had a Subaru Justy and a Yugo and an Aspire and a Fit and an Aerio. don't know if I would buy this segment of car new again - they tend to have poor resale, although this wont bother many who plan to keep their box for 7+ years - I always find a way to break them after 2 or three years.
A used 2012 Forte is likely the best bang for the buck car on the market.

If a sub-subcompact doesn't weigh under 1800lbs its too heavy.

Last edited:
He's not worried about resale...he'll be doing about 20K/year in it and figures on having it about 8 years. (When he plans to retire.)

Good for him!

If you're looking for a car in this (exact) segment, I don't see how you can go wrong.

There are better choices out there that offer all you and he apparently believe the Mirage offers..and more. Why you'd want to bring attention to that is beyond me. Actually, why you even posted this bit of personal family nonsense is, too. Do you have a question, or are you just looking for something emotional?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
he'll be doing about 20K/year in it and figures on having it about 8 years.

That just sounds like pure torture. If I was going to drive this much, I'd make sure it's something smooth and comfortable. But we all make certain sacrifices in order to achieve our financial goals. I wish him good luck with it.

Originally Posted By: Noey
There are better choices out there that offer all you and he apparently believe the Mirage offers..and more. Why you'd want to bring attention to that is beyond me. Actually, why you even posted this bit of personal family nonsense is, too. Do you have a question, or are you just looking for something emotional?

?

Not many members here have Mirages, yet they have been discussed a few times, as about the cheapest car one can get, at least new.

Back