new mercedes slk2ltr turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driven hard in the uk, i removed the FF which was in a bad way at 2500 miles!! and put some mobil 1 0-30. the mileage will shoot up so thinking of the next change after 6k miles

What would the experts put in it

mobil 1 0-40
castrol edge 0-30
motul 300v 5-40
motul8100 x clean

What does the car spec? Doesn't it call for an oil with 229.5 approval?

What are the approvals on the Mobil 1 0w-30 you used? There are two flavors of Mobil 1 0w-30 in the US, and neither of them is suitable for any Mercedes street application, but I don't know if it's the same in the UK.

I would run Mobil 1 0w40 since it's cheap, meets the MB approvals, and is proven.

Motul's oils are really good but probably overkill unless you race the car.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

What are the approvals on the Mobil 1 0w-30 you used? There are two flavors of Mobil 1 0w-30 in the US, and neither of them is suitable for any Mercedes street application, but I don't know if it's the same in the UK.

It calls for 229.5 yes. the choice of viscosity is very varied 0-30/0-40/ 5/40

The question is I suppose are these the best oils for the cats or the motor!

+1

And that would apply to the 4 alternate oils you've listed which have a large viscosity range from 2.87cP HTHSV (Motul 8100 Eco-clean - more like a 20wt) to 4.5cP (Motul 300V - more like a 50wt).

Originally Posted By: 355f
It calls for 229.5 yes. the choice of viscosity is very varied 0-30/0-40/ 5/40

In that case, I would recommend striking the oils from your list that do not carry that approval.

What's left?

The question is I suppose are these the best oils for the cats or the motor!

Who says it's one or the other?
wink.gif

229.5 is one of the toughest specs out there. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.

Besides, 229.51 is the "clean" version. And even with that, I wouldn't worry about your motor as long as you err on the short side with your oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Another question, does this car have an oil pressure gauge?

no oil pressure or temp guage im afraid! its just been chipped to increase the output a bit- a brabus mod

The first thing to do is see if the M1 0W-30 you're currently running meets the 229.5 spec' and if not what is the HTHSV of your version of this oil. Here in NA it's a very light oil with it's HTHSV of 3.0cP.

The even lighter Motul 8100 Eco-clean 0W-30 doesn't meet the Merc 229.5 spec' so I wouldn't consider that. http://www.motul.fr/system/product_descr....pdf?1290086771

Not sure but I suspect no oil with a HTHSV lower than 3.5cP meets the spec'. That being the case I'd likely consider changing out the M1 0W-30 sooner rather than later in favour of Edge 0W-30 or M1 0W-40; my preferance being M1 for it's higher VI.

Not sure but I suspect no oil with a HTHSV lower than 3.5cP meets the spec'.

I'm pretty sure MB 229.5 requires ACEA A3. If that's the case, that answers your HTHS viscosity question.
wink.gif

Not sure but I suspect no oil with a HTHSV lower than 3.5cP meets the spec'.

I'm pretty sure MB 229.5 requires ACEA A3. If that's the case, that answers your HTHS viscosity question.
wink.gif

yes a3 and b4

Its apity as i have a stocl of the motul 300v 5/40 - is it risky to use it!!!

CATERHAM said:
yes a3 and b4

A great oil for it's chemistry, just OTT heavy.
But you could start using it up by mixing it 50/50 with the Motul 8100 Eco-clean 0W-30 and get a 200 VI heavy 5W-30.

I'm sure that oil blows away most (if not all) aspects of ACEA A3/B4, and approaches or surpasses most aspects of MB 229.5.

It is a "risk" in the sense that, as it has not been approved, one can only guess how well it will work. Given what I know about Motul 300V in general, I would imagine it is unlikely to perform "poorly" in your engine in any meaningful way, but that's my guess.

How important is it for you to be sure that you're using the right oil vs. to use up your stash?

Motul says something to the effect that 300V "meets or exceeds all OEM requirements" or something. Take that as you will...

If you're under warranty, don't run 300V. If you are out of warranty, run it...or swap it for 300V 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back