New member with UOS/UOA questions

I've lurked/read a lot on here off and on for years. I have a '93 Dodge W250 club cab Cummins automatic with 269,000 miles on it. I've been waiting to send off a used oil sample with this rig because of oil leaks and having to add enough between changes that I figured it probably would change the results. I've added a lil over 2 quarts on this change and I'm at around 5,200 miles. Am I correct or does it really change that much?

Some automotive OEMs claim that burning 1 quart per thousand miles is normal so I don't think you are in trouble with less the 0.5qt/1k miles.

Something worth considering though is that this vehicle has nearly 270k on the clock.
There is a mindset that goes along the line that you've been doing something right to have gotten this far. Just keep doing the dame thing and you should be fine.
If it were my truck with 270k on it, I wouldn't spend anything more than absolutely necessary to keep it roadworthy and safe to drive.

Some automotive OEMs claim that burning 1 quart per thousand miles is normal so I don't think you are in trouble with less the 0.5qt/1k miles.

Something worth considering though is that this vehicle has nearly 270k on the clock.
There is a mindset that goes along the line that you've been doing something right to have gotten this far. Just keep doing the dame thing and you should be fine.
If it were my truck with 270k on it, I wouldn't spend anything more than absolutely necessary to keep it roadworthy and safe to drive.
I understand where your coming from but I am curious. My main reasoning for wanting to do UOA's is to see what they yell me in terms of oil life left, possibly extending oil changes, contamination and what not, what the oils I run look like with Liqui-Moly MOS2 addative, etc. I have just changed the filter and filled the new filter and went anywhere from another 1500 to 3000 miles but I'd rather not just do that blindly and hope for the best. I bought the pickup in '18 with about 175,000 on it and have no plans of selling it anytime soon. We have turned some stuff up in it (3200 rpm governor spring, THD Fuel pin, advanced the timing, DDP 50 horse injectors, BHAF cold air intake and filter, head studs, rocker pedestals, 60# valve springs,and new head gasket, etc. Haven't installed the beefier aftermarket retainers and locks yet. One of the next projects is 47RH swapping it but knock on wood the A518 keeps a goin so waiting for when I have more time to have it down for awhile.

Last edited:
I understand where your coming from but I am curious. My main reasoning for wanting to do UOA's is to see what they yell me in terms of oil life left, possibly extending oil changes, contamination and what not, what the oils I run look like with Liqui-Moly MOS2 addative, etc. I have just changed the filter and filled the new filter and went anywhere from another 1500 to 3000 miles but I'd rather not just do that blindly and hope for the best. I bought the pickup in '18 with about 175,000 on it and have no plans of selling it anytime soon. We have turned some stuff up in it (3200 rpm governor spring, THD Fuel pin, advanced the timing, DDP 50 horse injectors, BHAF cold air intake and filter, head studs and new head gasket, etc. One of the next projects is 47RH swapping it but knock on wood the A518 keeps a goin so waiting for when I have more time to have it down for awhile.
Well it sounds like you really want to do it so....

Back