New member forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back I sugested limited posting privileges for new members and was booed off the stage by several members. I was told that limiting posts for mew members was a really bad idea. I notice we now have a new member forum and they have limited posting ability.

Hhhmmm...

Boooooooooooooo!!!!!!

j/k of course.
grin.gif

I agree that it was a good idea, as the "what oil to use" posts were cluttering things up. However, I don't think that it was done to acquiesce to the wishes of grumpy farrarfan1 and his contempt of newbies. I think it was done in response to the spoilerrotten incident, preventing banned users from showing up again. I definitely think it was a sensible move though.

Interesting that we have this now. I hope this doesn't scare off potential members. I wonder if people can post or reply anonymously on this board.

Excellent idea. It'll reduce the potential for banned members to spam the main forums, and it'll reduce the amount of newbie threads on topics discussed 1000 times in the main forums.. I like it.

Quote:

Excellent idea. It'll reduce the potential for banned members to spam the main forums, and it'll reduce the amount of newbie threads on topics discussed 1000 times in the main forums.. I like it.

I would think it should help with both of those problems but hopefully it will encourage new people to spend more time actually reading and learning instead of jumping right into a topic that is clearly over their head. Maybe it will cut down on some of the ...questionable... advice that's dispensed.I really think it's long overdue and will help maintain/restore the integrity of the board.

I understand why it was done, I just wish it didn't have to be this way. Since I am at a loss for a better idea at the moment, I'll just sit by and see how it pans out.

The only thing that I would like to see is that you can give some veteran access to that channel so they can answer newbie questions if they so choose.

I guess it depends on if the the newbie channel is just a "single" step to verify that the new person is not a banned or is a real place to ask meaningful questions.

I am interested to see how it is going to work. I guess you don't know until you try.

i kind of like newbies. it brings drama to the forum. 9but only the good kind of drama) i have come to realise this is most than just an oil forum. its more of a online psuedo cult or something. we need some noobs around to mix things up and anger the blood. and hopefully join the family. talking about oil and auto maintence can, on occasion, get boring. its refreshing to see a totally off the wall discussion once in a while.

Quote:

The only thing that I would like to see is that you can give some veteran access to that channel so they can answer newbie questions if they so choose.

Everyone can post follow-ups in the New Member Forum. Only new members can start topics, however.

Quote:

Everyone can post follow-ups in the New Member Forum. Only new members can start topics, however.

Thanks for clarifying. I only saw 3 and they were all from you and were locked. I just thought that was the way it was going to be (me locked out from all the posts. I guess I have to wait for a newbie to post first.

(edited for the gratuitous use of the word "there")

Last edited:
Quote:

This is where you introduce yourself. And until you establish a track record of responsible posts, this is where you can ask all questions and post about any automotive or oil related topics.

I don't get it. You're forcing them to ask oil-related questions in that forum even though we have 40 other specific subforums where those questions should be placed? Are you planning on moving all those posts manually to the respective subforums where most senior users will be able to provide responses?

Also, what exactly is a "track record". Does that mean a specific post count?

"we need some noobs around to mix things up and anger the blood. and hopefully join the family. talking about oil and auto maintence can, on occasion, get boring. its refreshing to see a totally off the wall discussion once in a while.'

Without the noobs, staleness will ensue.

In regards to discussing the same topic over and over. It is like the radio. Turn the channel/thread.

I think this is a counterproductive manuever. Also feel it is a bit snobish. Hopefully it will be monitered to determine if it is indeed a good idea or not.

Quote:

Are you planning on moving all those posts manually to the respective subforums where most senior users will be able to provide responses?

You guys can't be this dense. I don't know how to make it any plainer: ANYONE can post follow-ups in the New Member forum. That means ANYONE can answer questions. But only new members can start topics.

I understand that, but you are hoping that people that usually frequent the dedicated forums to read/respond to specific oil/automotive/whatever subject topics there will now start doing the same in the "new member forum". And if that in fact happens, then a bunch of discussions that belong in the specific subforums will end up being in the "new member forum".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back