New member asking about old cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just registered last night so I might be asking the wrong question in the wrong place... so sorry if that is the case. I have four used Toyotas-- 1999 Corolla, 2000 Corolla, 2000 Camry, 2001 Camry-- Have always used Castrol 20-50 in summer and 5-30 in winter (Wisconsin) since I bought each car. Faithfully change at 3000 miles---- Should I switch to Mobil 1 0W-40 or similar or is that a waste of money?

It is a waste of money to use 20w50 in summer even if you can get it for free. If the Camry is a V6, though, synthetic would be a good idea.

I'd pass on the 20W50 as well, I'd probably run a 5W30 synthetic, and extend the OCI to 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: DaveSeemuth
I just registered last night so I might be asking the wrong question in the wrong place... so sorry if that is the case. I have four used Toyotas-- 1999 Corolla, 2000 Corolla, 2000 Camry, 2001 Camry-- Have always used Castrol 20-50 in summer and 5-30 in winter (Wisconsin) since I bought each car. Faithfully change at 3000 miles---- Should I switch to Mobil 1 0W-40 or similar or is that a waste of money?
I posted an answer in the other thread that you posted this question in.

Originally Posted By: DaveSeemuth

IMHO you need one oil, 5w30 year round maybe a syn 5w30 in winter! Why are drowning those 4cly's in 20w50 you just don't get hot enough there to warrant using 20w50!
Joe

You should look into valvoline maxlife in 5w30, It's semi-synthetic and should be all you need!

And
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Yeah....'thicker is better' is NOT a true mantra!

5W-30 year-round will work best in all - keep intervals to 5k miles, and all will be well.

You will love the newfound pep and a bit better gas mileage with a lighter oil. 20-50 is too thick even in summer for a modern engine.

What these guys say about 20w-50 is really true. My oil pressure was off the guage at times and I noticed a pretty big (for oil) difference in power going from 5w-30 to 20w-50 in a bad way. And this is an an old loose 350, not a tight modern engine. I thought it would help oil burning a little but only the Mobil 1 hm has done that for me. And I still need valve seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back