New Member: Are my impressions correct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discovered this site a couple of weeks ago and like many other I'm hooked. For years I tried to learn the facts about Auto lubrication, but soon discovered that many "authorities" were simple repeating what some else told them ad infintium. Reminded me of William James quote the faith was simple accepting anothers belief.

Anyway are these impressions correct:

1. Other than extended OCIs, a good dino(havoline)will protect an engine (as regards wear) as good as a synthetic.

2. Any Dino with the Starburst signia will do a good job.

3. There is no good proof that putting synthetic for the first oil change is a bad idea.

4. A synthetic might be recommended for my brand new WRX (it my first fun car) because of the turbo.

Hope I didn't break any rules.

welcome.gif

Sounds good to me, provided that #2 is as bruce said and applies only to most vehicles, since certain vehicles may require specs beyond the API approvals. That may have been implied in #4 though!

Rule #1 you may want to insert:

"Other than extended OCIs and...

certain engines
turbos
cold climates
hot climates
super severe driving conditions"

But you did cover the turbo in #4.

Impressions are correct.

One thing of note, Subaru does not specifically recommend or specify synthetic for their turbo motors. I follow Subaru's recommendations and change every 4-5k miles with dino just over their severe conditions in my WRX and LGT (turbo). If any of the turbo's fail I may reconsider.

Point on. The turbo questions have all generated numerous different opinons. My personal belief is that a good oil will serve any turbo well as long as the engine is clean. Any type of blockage in the oil passageways will kill a turbo.

I feel a little more strongly about using synthetic for turbo applications.... and this is coming from a dino user.

His one serious omission, no doubt. He should have added: #5 If using GC, all other rules are not important.
wink.gif

"Coking" of the oil will leave deposits in the supply line of oil to the turbo and cause starvatoin leading to premature failure. A Synthetic would be my only choice if I had a Turbo-charged engine. Researching the Flashpoints of oil will help you here.

Pscholte - I think there should be a council in a glassed-in room (like the Jedi Knights) where the elves pass judgement over questions like these.

See what you can do...

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) No. API SM dino changed at the severe service interval will be fine. All of this turbo coking business is history with the new API SL or SM oils. Any serious buildup with dino oils and turbos were related to older API rated oils.

For all the cars I service, turbo or naturally aspirated, I dump dino in there for a 3K-5K drain unless the OEM specifically recommends a syn.

Combustion gases and the turbo spinning makes it extremely hot. This is cooled by oil (and water).
When you shut off the engine there is no oil pumped around to cool things off.. This can cause the oil to cook and plug the oil feed to the turbo.
After a spirited drive the exhaust manifold and turbo is glowing red in my Audi 2.2T engine. I never shut it off in this state, always gives it (and myself) time to cool off.

welcome.gif
What you have is a high performance sports car with a turbo motor. To me that takes it right out of the grocerey getter category. Use a high quality synthetic. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back