New member and a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebc

Congratulations on a great forum!

Has anyone had experience using Delvac1 in gasoline engines? I have used M1 and other synthetics for some time but D1 has such rave reviews I might switch. My truck (a 2001 1/2 ton with 5.3l LS1) calls for 5w-30. Since I run it hard, I thought the higher viscosity might be a good thing.
Thanks,
ebc

I'm using D1 now in a 1.8L Toyota Corolla. Its a bit too thick for this engine as I've been loosing MPG with it. I suggest mixing 50/50 D1 with M1 5w-30. I think this brew could be very good. I'm going to add M1 5w-30 as I use the D1. In your engine, running it straight should be fine.

I'm using the D1 in my son's car in Pa. D1 should do you fine in Tn. I am not opposed to mixing as Buster said but in the case of D1 vs Mobil 1 they don't have the identical additive packages. But then again Delvac has around 1500 ppm zinc so mixing with the Mobil 1 might be a good thing. Delvac has no moly also. I'd like to see an UOA with the two mixed.

I can't believe Al didn't post the welcome sign?

confused.gif

Now someone is going to pipe up and say "don't mix oil".
Just to prove that theory wrong I just mixed one litre Cannuck tire 50 with one litre Delo 400 10W30, one litre rotella 10w30 with a litre of petro cannuck 15W40 and a litre of SAE 30.
Yesterday that mix went into a 77 Chev PU 250 six 3 on the tree and got rid of all my odds and ends.
The engine used zero oil over one year and 4000 miles with Rotella 10W30.
Lets see what it does with the circus blend.

Al is right, mixing is not really the best idea. I think I might give it a try to see what happens. Delvac 1 is much different then M1 SS. It might work, it might not...there is only one way to find out!
grin.gif

I have done it in my 95 Altima ..1 gallon of Delvac 1 and 1 quart of Mobile 1 ..no loss of Mpg ..and it cleaned the small varnish mark off of my dipstick that 50000 mile of mobile 1 couldn't!

I'm going to give it a shot. Molekule thought it might be a good combo and he knows what he is talking about. I'm going to add the M1 5w-30 as time goes on and sample.

My LS1 makes a bloody racket to start. I've always used 5W30, I'm now using a 0W30. Switching to the 'lighter' 0w30 has improved the startup even over 5w30. I chose a 12cSt 0W30 because I've noticed with a 10cSt (5w30) the oil pressure drops considerably during stop/start driving in traffic. Running hard has never been a problem with a 30 weight, 10 or 12 cSt, strong oil pressure. If you do choose to run delvac make sure it is not heavier than 5w. I think the owners manual states NOT to use 10w40 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back