new Mazda6..Dealer oil changes or do it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Mazda6, manufacture recommendation is 0-20 synthetic. Dealer provides 9 free oil changes with a synthetic blend 5-20 ( or maybe 5-30). If I want a full synthetic like Mobil 1, the added cost is $38 a change ( $70 less $32 credit). Service department says their semi synthetic is within spec, and should be fine. No warranty issues. The $38 up charge is ridiculous, might be negotiable. I live in a very cold place.

Do you think any damage will be done with the semi-synthetic? If it were your car, would you find the best way to stick with 0-20 full synthetic?

Thanks for your advice
John

Dealer is wrong, pure and simple, if he's installing an oil that goes against your owner's manual...depends on what your contract with them for the 9 oil changes is...if it's a Mazda thing, call him on it.

If it's not Mazda, and is a dealer only, take your own M1 (or oil of your choice), and ask him for $10 cash in hand as reimbursement for the oil he didn't supply...even getting it installed free is worth a hundred bucks or so.

Complain to Mazda that dealer is using and recommending the wrong oil. What dealership?

I would stick with full synthetic always.

I would even watch this dealer to make sure they fill your car with the correct oil, or simply avoid dealer altogether.

I am going to do exactly that..see what I can negotiate...this is a dealer program, so no way to appeal to Mazda...and apparently this is an acceptable, if not recommended oil. Even though it is wrong, does anybody believe it would damage the car to use the semi synthetic?

I doubt that it would damage anything...I may be incorrect here, but I think Ford manufacture a variant of the engine, in which case it's probably specced 5W20 semi anyway.

Still, unlikely to cause harm is not what you want to hear as a new car owner, and I wouldn't be relying on the dealer's say so that warranty won't be affected, unless he's relying on Magnuson Moss protecting HIM against Mazda.

If the stealer is charging for the owners manual spec 0W-20 then it's not really free is it? As noted, doubtful 5w20 would cause any damage, but not the point.

Want 0W-20 and to stay with dealer see if you can negotiate. Or bring your own 0W-20 let them do it for a reduced charge. Or DIY with the 0W-20 of your choice. It's your ride, you should use what you want are comfortable with.

Owners manual says to use 0W-20 in the US and Canada, and 5W-30 outside the US and Canada, or 5W-20 if 5W-30 is not available. It doesn't specify full synthetic, blend, or otherwise. In other words, it's not going to hurt a thing to use the dealer's oil. Those "free" oil changes aren't free, you already paid for them, so I would use them.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I may be incorrect here, but I think Ford manufacture a variant of the engine, in which case it's probably specced 5W20 semi anyway...

You are incorrect here. The SkyActiv engine is exclusively Mazda's.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: Shannow
I may be incorrect here, but I think Ford manufacture a variant of the engine, in which case it's probably specced 5W20 semi anyway...

You are incorrect here. The SkyActiv engine is exclusively Mazda's.

yep, wrong tangent.

The SkyActiv engines are great, but are also DI... meaning you have a greater chance of fuel dilution. Watch the intervals carefully.

Personally, I'd skip the 9 free changes and do it myself. Just document everything for warranty (I even make videos of the oil changed on my Ody!). Say it costs you $35 to change it yourself, that is $315 dollars over the course of 9 oil changes. Money well spent to make sure it is done right and on your terms!

Congrats on the car, BTW! I've driven a couple and they are AWESOME!

I had the option of a one time free oil change at my dealer (who is a nice dealer) and I never used it. Why you ask? Well they use bulk Castrol instead of the Mazda Genuine Motor Oil 0W-20... and furthermore they charge $80 for the service! I can buy my oil and filter for $44 instead and do it myself. I would definitely trade the 9 oil changes on 9 cases of oil and filters from the parts department if you can. That's enough oil to get you almost 70,000 miles down the road
smile.gif

I haven't experienced any fuel dilution with the mazda DI motor. It seems to do a much better job with fuel metering if you get it good and warmed up.

Clearly the dealer's use of 5w20 bothers you. Just change it yourself with whatever you are more comfortable with (tons of good 0w20s out there on sale). It might cost a few bucks more, but peace-of-mind is priceless.

I would just let it go and change the oil myself, or let the dealer do their thing. If you start fighting them on the oil, chances are they will print 0w20 and put in bulk anyway since you cannot check afterwards, or refuse the service.
Most dealers and mechanics simply hate picky people. I'm not saying that you're being picky here, I fully agree with your stance on using the correct oil and protect your warranty, but in dealers eyes you will be seen as picky since they already gave you "free" oil changes and now you want the pricier oil.

IMO, the aggravation is simply not worth it. It's like returning a burger and demanding another because you didn't like the first one. The chances of some sort of sabotage are too high to my liking in both cases.

Last edited:
Since its Minnesota, its best to use the excellent Mazda Genuine Motor Oil MGMO 0w-20. Great VI for those cold mornings and a high 600 ppm moly, full synthetic.

It depends on how tight you are for money right now. Dealer's oil won't hurt much. The extra wear you get will be unseen, internal engine stuff, you'll never know about it.

+1 on the MGMO. AFA the 5w20 goes, The Mobil 1 most likely isn't a technical syn anyhow, and 5w20 will likely have less gum generating index improvers.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
and 5w20 will likely have less gum generating index improvers.

Be careful, a statement like that can easily open a can of worms here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back