New Mazda Protege

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
Given the choice, I would choose pennzoil, but I am sure that the castrol would be fine as well. Doesn't the car call for 5w20?

It is a 2003 & calls for 5 or 10 w 30
thanks pjh

Just got one of those myself a few weeks ago (2003.5) and love it!

Based upon your choices I think either would do fine, both are highly thought of dinos. I think the Penzoil bottles are more attractive, however.

I just changed my break in oil at 900 miles and filled it with 10W30, and it starts quieter now. Cali winters are mild.

The oil filter, however, is the tiniest one on the market I think. I just don't think its up to the task of an extended drain without a filter change midway... but with dino that doesn't appear to be what's on your mind.

Welcome to the MP5 club! More fun to drive than my 03 Maxima!

I have a 2002 Protege ES (non-wagon version of the P5) and I use Havoline Synthetic 5W30 year-round (price at Advance Auto was just too attractive so I bought a couple of cases) - that seems to work quite nicely and my climate is substantially hotter than yours.

Just bought a new P5 for my wife a few weeks back, nice to see a few others online! I changed out the factory fill at 600 miles for Chevron Supreme 5w-30 and a NAPA Gold filter. Planning another change at 1500 miles, then 5K and every 5K after. At 1500 I'll probably switch to M1 or GC.

Did anyone notice that the AT pan has a drain plug? Cool!
grin.gif

And yup, the manual calls for 5w or 10w-30, not 5w-20 in this engine. It's the old 2.0L DOHC engine, not the 2.3L used in the 6 and 3 which does call for 5w-20.

- Scott
cool.gif

[ January 09, 2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: 2windy ]

quote:

Originally posted by 2windy:
Just bought a new P5 for my wife a few weeks back, nice to see a few others online! I changed out the factory fill at 600 miles for Chevron Supreme 5w-30 and a NAPA Gold filter. Planning another change at 1500 miles, then 5K and every 5K after. At 1500 I'll probably switch to M1 or GC.

Did anyone notice that the AT pan has a drain plug? Cool!
grin.gif

And yup, the manual calls for 5w or 10w-30, not 5w-20 in this engine. It's the old 2.0L DOHC engine, not the 2.3L used in the 6 and 3 which does call for 5w-20.

- Scott
cool.gif

Scott,
I changes mine at around 1250mi and plan next at 3000mi. Going to stick to good dino(Pennzoil,GTX) I think every 3000mi/4 mo. Don't think we can get Chevron here. Used a Mazda USA OEM filter made by Tennex I had left over from my Miata since the Canadian OEM's are made by Fram so next time I will use a Wix from NAPA. Mine is a 5spd and I my go with synthetic gear oil at some point.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back