New Mazda MX-5 w/Targa top revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is really different. I'd like to see one. I have an 07 convert and it is an amazing car.

Not one thing repaired on it in 9 years!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
It's nice to see Mazda already giving another choice in the new MX-5 (Miata).

Pretty cool looking car with the new Targa style top. Although I prefer my soft top, full convertible....this car is very appealing and offers a rather unique style for a Miata.

Agreed, it's pretty good looking car and I do prefer full convertible too.

Miata soft top is manually operate so it would lasted forever. This powered Targa top can be a headache after some years.

Sharp looking car, reminiscent of the Opel GT. My understanding is that the rear window goes down with the top, which is a nice touch. Also good to see Mazda offer it with an interior color other than black.

Yes, the top mechanisms look rather complex. Mazda has had a good amount of experience with similar devices though. Hopefully, it will be trouble free for a decade or more.

I think the only angle this new targa Miata looks a tad bit off is a view of the rear. Kind of looks a little fat of bubble-like. But looks are subjective.

All in all I think Mazda may have produced a real winner.

That DOES look good (especially in that new color), but I wonder just how much weight (high up in the car) that hard top adds.
21.gif

It does look very good and hardtop is really good for foul weather such as cold or rain ... But for So Cal drivers like myself we like top down as much as possible, and we don't have many days with temperature below 60F and rain only happen 5-10 times a year. A simple soft-top is much preferred here.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
That DOES look good (especially in that new color), but I wonder just how much weight (high up in the car) that hard top adds.
21.gif

An individual over at a miata site that seems to know certain details said it adds about 200 pounds to the rag top weight.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The weight of base Miata is about 2300 lbs ? Adding 10% weight does effect performance/handling.

More accurate (possibly) information has now come to light about the added weight.

It looks like only 110 - 135 pounds added. Specs vary between the automatic and the 6 speed manual.

Apparently Mazda said they also incorporated slightly slightly stiffer springs to compensate and they kept the 50/50 balance intact.

The weight of base Miata is about 2300 lbs ? Adding 10% weight does effect performance/handling.

More accurate (possibly) information has now come to light about the added weight.

It looks like only 110 - 135 pounds added. Specs vary between the automatic and the 6 speed manual.

Apparently Mazda said they also incorporated slightly slightly stiffer springs to compensate and they kept the 50/50 balance intact.

That's good to know, but, even 110 lbs. will effect the current (VERY good for the engine's power), lighter weight rag top's acceleration figures noticeably.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

That's good to know, but, even 110 lbs. will effect the current (VERY good for the engine's power), lighter weight rag top's acceleration figures noticeably.
frown.gif

I would imagine it's a tiny bit less nimble and a fraction slower than the rag top. But being that this option is great looking and a more durable top...I think it will do well.

Now only if Mazda would realize that the best time to offer these kind of vehicles is in the spring (not late summer or fall), they would sell faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back