New Mail Vehicle to get 8 mpg

For in the town the perfect woker solution.

bicycle-of-a-postman.jpg

ebc71e89398dcdce04bdfa9afc3ec5a9.jpg

re
I think I will disagree. While it might not make 20mpg, going from 8mpg to 12 would be a 50% reduction in fuel costs...

33% reduction in fuel cost.

120 mi a day / 8 mpg = 15 gal
120 mi a day / 12 mpg = 10 gal

15 gal x $3.00 = s45.00
10 gal x $3.00 = $30.00

$15.00 is a 33% of $45.00.

Cost of battery pack replacement and maintenance cost on the system would eat 40-50% of that and we haven't discussed the additional purchase price for the original systems in the vehicle

The people I know with applications anything like this. F150 Hybrid for instance have seen less than a 10% fuel savings savings. I would have to see the route testing for this application to judge it's cost effectiveness.

Last edited:
Forget the horrible mileage for a minute, I’m not convinced the Ecoboost was the right move, unless it’s a beefed up version. Seems like we will be spending a lot of tax dollars on repairs.

A fully electric vehicle was one of the three final competitors. I'm not sure why it failed in the head to head testing. They are replacing 140,000 vehicles so I doubt it was going to be cheap regardless.

They want to force the rural carriers to use the Gov vehicles too. Around Christmas they have to make as many as 6 trips back to the PO to get mail to finish the route. If they are electric they better have multiple vehicles. My son drives one of these and no way would an electric last all day. He works 12 hrs or more sometimes. That being said he hates what they have now.

The Post Office is a service.

Nobody goes around saying the military is losing money?
The difference is our military is something we can be proud of.

As far as rural carriers, does anyone know how they determine whether or not personal vehicles are used vs a USPS vehicle? Not sure if any rural carriers use the Grummans or not, at least around here they all use personal vehicles and most are right hand drive.

As far as rural carriers, does anyone know how they determine whether or not personal vehicles are used vs a USPS vehicle? Not sure if any rural carriers use the Grummans or not, at least around here they all use personal vehicles and most are right hand drive.
Something to be proud of :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm pretty sure the rural carriers are independent contractors and not employees of the USPS. Even some of the rural post offices are contract. The ones you see in what look like old USPS vehicles bought them when USPS sold them. Some of the rural carriers here used the old Postal Jeeps after the USPS bought the Grummans.

I don't know who is making RHD US Spec Cars now. Subaru quit. Jeep may still have a model. Bench seat column shift cars are rare now so it's hard to find a LHD suitable to drive from the right.

Back