New M1 GF-4 / SM 5W-30 is free revving

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWS

I have 3 cars:
'97 Toyota Camry 4-Cyl
'00 Honda Odyssey VTEC V6
'03 Honda Civic VTEC 4-Cyl

When I changed from Dino to M1 5W-30 in Jun-2004 I noticed that all of them did not rev as freely. Several others on BITOG commented on having the same experience. I am not a racer, just a middle-aged guy driving around town, so this was not a problem.

In the last 2 days I changed the oil in all of them using the new new M1 GF-4 / SM 5W-30. I was surprised to observe that they all rev more freely again!

In God we trust
all others bring data..........
grin.gif

LOL! I'll be interested in other members' comments when they try this new M1, using the totally objective and reliable 'glutious maximus dyno' of course!

The difference in my cars is very noticable to me, esp the Civic. There were no other variables --> the same tank of gas, same weather, same roads, etc.

The Stratus has done its best 1/4 mile times on the SM MaxLife to my amazement, not M1 or Castrol GTX. Variables may be to credit. It also has, in general, received the best MPG on SM MaxLife. Any ideas? Does the SM ML have extra friction modifiers?

quote:

Originally posted by SWS:
I have 3 cars:
'97 Toyota Camry 4-Cyl
'00 Honda Odyssey VTEC V6
'03 Honda Civic VTEC 4-Cyl

When I changed from Dino to M1 5W-30 in Jun-2004 I noticed that all of them did not rev as freely. Several others on BITOG commented on having the same experience. I am not a racer, just a middle-aged guy driving around town, so this was not a problem.

In the last 2 days I changed the oil in all of them using the new new M1 GF-4 / SM 5W-30. I was surprised to observe that they all rev more freely again!

It's not the oil...you just had the cars washed. This always seems to make my vehicles run the best....
grin.gif

Bob W.

quote:

It's not the oil...you just had the cars washed. This always seems to make my vehicles run the best....

It's the lower coefficient of friction due to having a sleaker and cleaner surface.
wink.gif

How can you tell if you have the mobil 1 sm formulation? all the bottles around here still say sl even thought the born on date is 12/2004.
dunno.gif

btw: I've noticed the free revvin issue with m1 a long time ago and is my biggest pet peeve with m1. hope they did finally fix that...

[ January 04, 2005, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: dustyjoe1 ]

Hi dustyjoe1,

I know that this M1 is GF-4 / SM because it is documented on the bottle. It arrived at Wal-Mart last week, was available only in the 5qt jugs, and was mixed-in with the SL stock. Price was $19.82 for 5qts. The bottle color-scheme is different (more bland), and the lid is gray like the rest of the jug.

I hope that it arrives in your area soon - I will be interested to hear your comments! As you can see from most of the replys thus far, most everybody thinks that I'm crazy. I must admit, though, that the cars did get washed on the same day that their oil was changed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back