New M1 filters at Walmart $10 and good for 20k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram Ultra is a better filter and cheaper. No brainer. Full synthetic on the Fram Ultra. No synthetic blend on Fram Ultra. I am sure current Fram Ultra will protect for 20K miles with a good synthetic oil.

Last edited:
I'm just confused about the whole one year thing... can't most decent filters do this already? I guess the 20k is neat if you drive that much in a year.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I'm just confused about the whole one year thing... can't most decent filters do this already? I guess the 20k is neat if you drive that much in a year.

Yes, but it needs to be spelled out on the package that a filter can go one year (or possibly more), otherwise nobody would go that long without changing the filter.

The only people who don't see a one year FCI as a big deal are the members of BITOG.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Fram Ultra is a better filter and cheaper. No brainer. Full synthetic on the Fram Ultra. No synthetic blend on Fram Ultra. I am sure current Fram Ultra will protect for 20K miles with a good synthetic oil.

+1,000,000

Jay B. said the FRAM Ultra can already go beyond 15k, but for liability reasons, lawyers advised them to stick to 15k in their advertising.

The M1 is just not worth it when you have a FRAM Ultra sharing the same shelf space.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Izb
99% at 30u is about 95-97% at 20u

Isn't that about the same as a Napa Gold / Wix?

People on here bash them because they "don't filter fine enough".

IMO, 95% @ 20 microns is still pretty decent filtering efficiency. I like using oil filters that are that or higher.

The "they don't filter fine enough" is probably referring to the WIX XP which is rated at 50% @ 20 microns.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
OK, here's the rationale - - if the holes in the media are bigger (less efficiency) then NATURALLY it'll go for the higher miles, because it can't plug if it's still flowing.

I'll take the better efficiency of the Ultra

The part in red is mainly true for cellulose or cellulose blend media. But for full synthetic media the efficiency can be very high as well as the holding capacity (ie, mileage use recommendation) - ie, Ultra and others.

I saw them to at walmart a few weeks ago but today i had my phone with me and I saw a cartrige style filter and opened the box and it dont look like anything special like a FRAM ULTRA or a PUROLATOR BOSS

I would never use a filter for 20K miles.

What do you think?

I looks just like a FRAM TG or a regular M1 or any other cartrige filter.. I mean I can take a FRAM ULTRA and try to crush it in my hand and its strong... I can do the same with a PURO BOSS but this filter is flimsy...

I dunnoo Perhaps a renamed Regular Mobil 1 fitler.. I dunno I dont think its anything special so far.

2h4zs5h.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1

What do you think?

I looks just like a FRAM TG or a regular M1 or any other cartrige filter.. I mean I can take a FRAM ULTRA and try to crush it in my hand and its strong... I can do the same with a PURO BOSS but this filter is flimsy...

2h4zs5h.jpg

One of the things I love about the move towards cartridge filters is that we don't have to cut open a can to see what is hidden inside!

Originally Posted By: wemay

I would say that's a pretty safe bet since most drivers on average drive closer to 15K a year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back